Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PD's with bad reputations

Good evening,
    Which Police Departments in the Chicago area have a reputation for handing out write up's like write up's like Halloween Candy? Thanks.

Originally posted by Chicago1991 View Post
    Good evening,
    Which Police Departments in the Chicago area have a reputation for handing out write up's like write up's like Halloween Candy? Thanks.
    I would be more worried about getting arrested and charged with a felony for defending yourself than a write up.

Comment

No kidding. OP is more concerned about getting dinged...

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago1991 View Post
        Good evening,
        https://forum.officer.com/forum/loca...probation-ends

Comment

I’ve heard naperville, aurora, carol stream, Orland park, and other small suburbs have strict FTO process.

Comment

Woodridge, Palos Heights, Skokie. Skokie seems to hire 5 or 6 fully expecting to dump 2 or 3 either on FTO or probation. The other 2 have a rep for calling people in on last day of prob. or FTO and saying "You're done." And they do this under the guise of you "not being good enough for our premier department." And it's know throughout the area about these places. A lot, maybe a majority that don't make the cut in these "premier " departments, get hired elsewhere and do just fine.

Comment

i would also add Naperville and Orland Park to that list. During the recent civil unrest, I was in Naperville on a state team helping out with the riots. We were going street by street ensuring the looters went home/keep the rest of downtown Naperville from being burglarized. Naperville cops were telling me they will hire 4-6 at a time, and let go of half of them during FTO/before the end of probation. Naperville wouldn't accept my application with an associates degree and 9 years of military service, plus I am a certified police officer. They want bachelor's degrees no matter what. As for Orland Park, the chief just announced his retirement effective 01 AUG 20. My wife works in the area, and i have friends who are cops around Orland Park. They tend to pull the "Best department in the state.' Rubbish fairly often. When i went to apply a handful of years back, I was told i needed an honorable discharge certificate. I thought it was my DD-214, but when i called the city, they legitimately wanted a certificate that the VA/DOD will send you for $100 bucks that looks like a college degree diploma. Orland also does the hire in droves, release in droves thing. Naperville has a posting every 2 years in red that says "hiring up to 25 officers.' from one of the naperville guys i know, thats the generic listing that has not been removed in YEARS. They hire exactly the type of person that will mesh will for Naperville. They do have some great cops, but its more of a mentality type of problem there.

Comment

• bluesent
                bluesent commented
                Editing a comment
                Naperville is testing again. When I left the military and was looking at departments to apply to a year ago I saw Naperville and a few other departments. A lot of those departments started the hiring process again lol. On the few lists that I applied for I didn't score too well and I was like #100+ on few lists and they already exhausted their lists and got to my name.

I personally don't get the bachelor's degree requirement.

That certificate you were supposed to get for free when you left lol. I personally never received mine because I literally got back from somewhere and 2 weeks later I cleared and left the military and they didn't make mine. I was hoping my old unit would have sent it to me because they called me to ask if I was in the area but I said no I went back home to Chicago and I thought they were going to FedEx or UPS it.

• Naperville is testing again. When I left the military and was looking at departments to apply to a year ago I saw Naperville and a few other departments. A lot of those departments started the hiring process again lol. On the few lists that I applied for I didn't score too well and I was like #100+ on few lists and they already exhausted their lists and got to my name.

I personally don't get the bachelor's degree requirement.

That certificate you were supposed to get for free when you left lol. I personally never received mine because I literally got back from somewhere and 2 weeks later I cleared and left the military and they didn't make mine. I was hoping my old unit would have sent it to me because they called me to ask if I was in the area but I said no I went back home to Chicago and I thought they were going to FedEx or UPS it.
              • __________________________________________________ ___
              The bachelor's degree doesn't bother me all that much. If you read Naperville's requirements, you CAN APPLY with an associates degree, but you will not receive an offer if you do not have your Bachelor's at the time of hiring. Some town's stick to old school ways. There is no trouble in wanting applicants to have certain degree levels at the time of their application. It keeps less qualified candidates from applying. Trust me, with all of my military experience, on the job experience and my associates, i consider myself highly qualified in regards to a young kid straight out of governors state, but i do not make those decisions. It also represents a unique way of finding out the quality of candidates you have. Someone who serves in the national guard or reserves gets a DD-214 after they separate. The cook on an aircraft carrier gets the same DD-214. You can apply that logic to colleges. This guy has a bachelors from ISU, but these applicants have degrees from NIU/U of I. I have a full sleeve and a half sleeve on the other arm, some places don't want any visible tattoo's. Conservative styles like that are disappearing, but it isn't the end of the world. Some departments do not want any, others require sleeves to cover them up. As for the discharged certificate, i was NOT spending $100 to have a nice certificate saying i was honorably discharged, thats what the DD-214 does and says. When i got out in 2014, the navy did not ask me about a discharge certificate.

Comment

I wouldn't trade having good supervisors for any nice looking suburb out there. That's just me. Trust when I say I have personally seen people come right back to the city after experiencing those type of places. They sound great on paper tho.

Comment

• Four g63
                  Four g63 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  +1 for this.

That’s why most suburban departments have a high FTO failure rate.

Juice takes you a long way

Originally posted by southpaw1 View Post
                I wouldn't trade having good supervisors for any nice looking suburb out there. That's just me. Trust when I say I have personally seen people come right back to the city after experiencing those type of places. They sound great on paper tho.
                During my oral board for Orland Park I was specifically asked if I would take a leave of absence from my department. I said yes, which led a certain retiring member to remark, “we feel officers who do that aren’t committed enough to our department.” I’m sitting there thinking, are they serious? Should I just risk throwing everything away for a department that has a terrible reputation of firing recruits? Even as a certified officer, there’s no guarantee I’m going to be a fit for them. Needless to say, I did not continue past there.

Here’s all I have to say of Palos Heights — how many family members of current and past high ranking bosses are working there? Think what kind of future you have where the supervisor ranks have already been decided years in advance.

Comment

Wow...well good call on your part and yeah good point too. I knew I had no chance when I went to a test (won't name where) and saw the mini family reunions while we were lined up to do the power test. Scratched those places off the list real quick lol.

Comment

• illiniguy929
                    illiniguy929 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lol been to a couple of those before getting hired where I am now almost 5 years I still hear from friends about this very situation.. I’m like ok nope go elsewhere and try...

• southpaw1
                    southpaw1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    illiniguy929 wow it's been a long time. Didn't know you were still on here. Hope everything is good and yeah some places you're just better off not wasting an application fee on lol.

• illiniguy929
                    illiniguy929 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah I’m still here lol. I lurk around see what’s going on with departments and processes. Hope all is well and you’re staying safe!

• southpaw1
                    southpaw1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    illiniguy929 yup one day at a time and likewise brother!

In regards to Orland Park, I can vouch that they do look for a certain “mold”. I had 2+ years of experience with my initial department and decided to resign to join Orland Park. Great department in regards to equipment and co-workers, horrible reputation. They definitely try to wash you out if they feel like you don’t meet their criteria. With how big Orland pk is, my geography was kinda rocky but was getting progressively better. Also coming from another department, learning new policies and ways of being an “orland cop” was tough but was told I was getting the hang of things by fto’s. I was then given the decision to resign or be terminated. Great village benefits and pay, but would not recommend anyone take an offer unless you acknowledge what you signed up.

Comment

• Raiden341
                    Raiden341 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I knew people that worked there including FTO’s. Their Super Chief (who is now retired) would push in Admin meetings & FTO meetings that 65% of their recruits should get booted because it shows they want the “best of the best.” They also really like people who are from Orland or live in Orland. Others are considered outsiders. They don’t even listen to their FTO’s. I’ve heard story after story of people who got screwed over or booted for just outright ridiculous reasons or political reasons. Despite FTO’s arguing otherwise.

Heard of a guy who got fired from schaumburg on his first day of FTO.

Comment

• Jami86e
                    Jami86e commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What was the reason?

• Saluki89
                    Saluki89 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Something about a traffic stop.

Des Plaines, They have good people but they dump about 2/3 of their recruits. There is a certain type that they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Pico View Post
                    In regards to Orland Park, I can vouch that they do look for a certain “mold”. I had 2+ years of experience with my initial department and decided to resign to join Orland Park. Great department in regards to equipment and co-workers, horrible reputation. They definitely try to wash you out if they feel like you don’t meet their criteria. With how big Orland pk is, my geography was kinda rocky but was getting progressively better. Also coming from another department, learning new policies and ways of being an “orland cop” was tough but was told I was getting the hang of things by fto’s. I was then given the decision to resign or be terminated. Great village benefits and pay, but would not recommend anyone take an offer unless you acknowledge what you signed up.
                    I’m sorry to hear that you went through that experience. Hopefully you’ve rebounded and found another department. I’ve heard towns are understanding of those bounced from Orland Park and don’t hold it against the applicant.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2472 users online. 121 members and 2351 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X