300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cop Before Detective?

I believe I know the answer, but I know someone that clams they went to school to be a "detective" and all of a sudden are a detective without ever being a cop in the first place. It has always been my understanding that you have to be a cop first before becoming a detective in any department. What's everyones take on it, I'm I right lol?

sounds like BS to me, but it could be true......strange things do happen!

Comment

Detectives aren't cops?

Comment

Originally posted by buffness View Post
        I believe I know the answer, but I know someone that clams they went to school to be a "detective" and all of a sudden are a detective without ever being a cop in the first place. It has always been my understanding that you have to be a cop first before becoming a detective in any department. What's everyones take on it, I'm I right lol?
        While you are probably correct in your belief, there are agencies all over the country that are bonafide LE agencies that strictly hire investigators, they enter the police academy to satisfy their particular states requirement to be a police officer. Many illinois agencies strictly hire investigators that need police certification.....examples...investigators for the state fire marshals office, the IL SOS, the IL Attorney Generals Office, and the Department of Revenue, etc etc etc......at the County level just about every State's Attorney has its own investigators who must be certified cops. Like I said, I think you know the answer to your question, but I am playing "Devil's Advocate and pointing out some real possibilities.
        You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

Originally posted by cityblusuit View Post
          While you are probably correct in your belief, there are agencies all over the country that are bonafide LE agencies that strictly hire investigators, they enter the police academy to satisfy their particular states requirement to be a police officer. Many illinois agencies strictly hire investigators that need police certification.....examples...investigators for the state fire marshals office, the IL SOS, the IL Attorney Generals Office, and the Department of Revenue, etc etc etc......at the County level just about every State's Attorney has its own investigators who must be certified cops. Like I said, I think you know the answer to your question, but I am playing "Devil's Advocate and pointing out some real possibilities.
          I don't think he's talking about stuff like that....I think he's talking about someone being hired straight on by a Agency as a Detective......and I know better than that happening......unless you have a ton of experience from another agency......as you are not going to be able to do that straight out of college.......

Comment

or you could go to harvey...
            In God we trust... All others check NCIC...

Shop smart... Shop "S" mart!

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Comment

I guess we have to blame TV for how some people feel that somehow Det's are a step above Patrol Officers or are somehow "different" than regular cops. On most PD's (I know with CPD Det's is a tested position correct?) being a Det. is just basically a specialization. Much like some guys are E.T.'s, Traffic, Tac, etc. It is just a Patrolman with a specialization. I think some people actually believe Detective is a rank or something
              www.saveavet.org

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                I don't think he's talking about stuff like that....I think he's talking about someone being hired straight on by a Agency as a Detective......and I know better than that happening......unless you have a ton of experience from another agency......as you are not going to be able to do that straight out of college.......
                yep this is what I was talking about. Some one straight out of college whom never has had any LE training other then a BA. lol BTW, the Dept I'm talking about is right next to Chicago, sometimes is considered an "extension" of Chicago if you catch my drift

Comment

yep this is what I was talking about. Some one straight out of college whom never has had any LE training other then a BA. lol BTW, the Dept I'm talking about is right next to Chicago, sometimes is considered an "extension" of Chicago if you catch my drift
                  Well this is generally an anonymous forum....save us all a bunch of confusion....say what and where you are talking about.....you will get direct and honest answers...and we won't have to worry about your drift.
                  You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

haha, we are talking about the town of Cicero. I guess anything is game there if the guys statement is true

Comment

Cicero, hmmmmmm, it's possible, how much did he pay for it...............
                      www.saveavet.org

Comment

Detectives are cops, as everyone has already pointed out. Uniform patrol and criminal investigations are just different types of police officers. Generally one must work on patrol for a few years before competing for a vacant investigator position. Traditional education doesn't necessarily qualify a person for detective duties. Patrol work develops the skills and abilities necessary to effectively interview individuals and investigate crimes.
                        Last edited by miked6; 05-27-2007, 05:47 PM. Reason: grammar
                        "Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most. " --Dwight K Schrute (The Office)

Comment

Originally posted by miked6 View Post
                          Detectives are cops, as everyone has already pointed out. Uniform patrol and criminal investigations are just different types of police officers. Generally one must work on patrol for a few years before competing for a vacant investigator position. Traditional education doesn't necessarily qualify a person for detective duties. Patrol work develops the skills and abilities necessary to effectively interview individuals and investigate crimes.
                          He was stating he went from school to Detective and skipped working as patrol. I think he's full of it lol

Comment

Originally posted by PROBY View Post

touche!

Comment

Originally posted by PROBY View Post
                              Why stop at Dick?

A lot of the burbs that have tac teams (plainclothes), have them as part of the Det. Bureau. They give their tac guys "Det" stars..

I'd really be surprised that even Cicero would not have the guy work as a P/O before being a Det.(sans him being a prior P/O somewhere else). How does he know the laws, paper involved, the area, or police procedures of any kind without working the street first. Think your friend is full of BS..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3504 users online. 183 members and 3321 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X