300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois Police Reserves!!!

Hey guys I am a recruit soon to be officer with the Illinois Police Reserve's I was wondering how many of you on here have heard of this organization if you have what are your thoughts? alot of departments, towns and citys know about us and what we do and provide some people have never even heard of us at all.

Thats a good organization! I have a couple buddies who have gone through the process...

Comment

Yea it is alot of people who are trying to become a police officer that are having trouble because of testing, or being on a waiting list or for whatever reason this is the best way to become an officer and learn on the job and do alot of networking because you work in alot of cities and towns. Great learning experence so anyone who might be interested or wanna know more send me a PM.

Comment

ummm yea...

before becoming a Police officer i was a Community Service Officer for a suburban dept. that used them, yea for some it was a good experiance for others it killed their career before it got started... i urge caution
        In God we trust... All others check NCIC...

Shop smart... Shop "S" mart!

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Comment

How do you figure it killed there career? half of the officers in the organiztion are also off duty cert. officers also. and the other half are just using it as a stepping stone to get into a dept. the fact that you are exposed to differnt situations and you work for alot of differnt departments is great for networking and getting your foot in the door. which is what I am doing also i have learned so much just being with the IPR.

Originally posted by PROBY View Post
          ummm yea...

before becoming a Police officer i was a Community Service Officer for a suburban dept. that used them, yea for some it was a good experiance for others it killed their career before it got started... i urge caution

Comment

My guess is that they were not ready to be a police officer or were not capable. You've got a lot of people out there, I know plenty of them, who want to wear that badge and gun just to carry a gun, to bully people and to get discounts and favoritism. You'll find a lot of those people in the security and PI business.

Comment

You may want to look into the background of the IPR before you get on. If I remember right, about a year or two ago, some of them were getting locked up for impersonating as well as some other stuff. I'll have refresh my memory when I get back to work tommorrow (I saved some articles somewhere). I can't even get their website, www.illinoispolicereserves.org, to come up (could be a bad link though I guess???)
              Last edited by jefsmith77; 05-27-2007, 10:12 AM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Some officers yes years ago got into some trouble being caught wearing there weapon off duty because we are not allowed to carry 24/7. just while we are on duty to/from. And everything is legit because we can carry our stars and our commision and we are not sworn officers no. but we are sworn in and we are sworn auxiliary officers for the state. alot of towns have there won auxiliary officers and reserves officers. we just work for all and any towns that may need our help. our new website is in the works.

Comment

They've had some issues with some of their people and it's been a lot more recent than "years ago".
                  Also, in 2006 both the USA and the DuPage Co state's attorney issued subpoenas for IPR records.
                  183 FBINA

Comment

Im not sure about that, not sayin it isnt true. but if you think about it theres a bad apple in ever dept or organization, company ou go to. But i know i have joined for good reasons to get my foot in the door even though some depts or officers dont respect us. but alot of them do!

Comment

It is my understanding that the IPR's "reserve" or "auxilliary" status comes not from the State of Illinois, but from the town that contracts them to work. For example, they were often hired by the City of Highwood in years past to do security for the large events in the city such as parades. I was a copper in town near Highwood then, and it was my understanding that their agreement with the City of Highwood made them temporary Highwood police officers for the duration of the event.

The IPR is not a bonafide State of Illinois Police agency, but they are basically a private security company that contracts to be temporary police officers for a city or village. Their powers come from that city, and not from the State of Illinois. Also, I do not believe they can make arrests like a normal sworn officer (crimes not committed in the officer's presence).

You would be better off being a reserve for a city or county. There are alot of those out there, and it looks alot better on a resume, in my opinion.
                      Looks like someone took their stupid pills today.

Comment

I know Illinois has changed a lot since I left but I have these questions. Illinois now requires Part time officers to have the same training as a full time Officer thats been around for a while. By now,most of the periods for waivers and such have passed and now the training must be obtained either through an academy or an extended format such as NEMRT. My new question is this hasnt the law been changed again that even requires res/aux officers to also go through the same extended format or alternative training to become certified just like a full time Officer. If that is the case, doesnt that make organizations such as the Illinois Police Reserves moot?? Just thinking out loud
                        You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

Originally posted by cityblusuit View Post
                          I know Illinois has changed a lot since I left but I have these questions. Illinois now requires Part time officers to have the same training as a full time Officer thats been around for a while. By now,most of the periods for waivers and such have passed and now the training must be obtained either through an academy or an extended format such as NEMRT. My new question is this hasnt the law been changed again that even requires res/aux officers to also go through the same extended format or alternative training to become certified just like a full time Officer. If that is the case, doesnt that make organizations such as the Illinois Police Reserves moot?? Just thinking out loud

Comment

I believe everything I was referring to can be found here.....directly from the training board's website.

http://www.ptb.state.il.us/pdf/auxiliary.pdf
                            You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

blusuit is correct the new law basically was created to prevent small/poor departments from creating Auxiliary police units that performed the same duties as sworn officers (thus saving budget and training costs). Some of these depts would send someone to the 40hr firearm course, give them a short FTO program and then unleash them on the populace with no other training. these officers wrote citations, made arrests and went to court some making as little as $6.50 an hour no OT no holiday pay. however, a town, city, village may draft their own Local Ordinance defining their AUX/RES officers in different legal terms (which do not allow self initiated arrests or court appearances) to keep the unit in service. IPR is a bad idea, try working for a specific agency instead. IPR has created a sh*t storm that has had some lawmakers calling for an end to Reserve/Auxiliary units statewide. The IPR are generally not thought of very highly in the IL Police community. Just my two cents.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8630 users online. 388 members and 8242 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X