300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Law Enforcement Car Dealerships

I'm a copper in the suburbs of Chicago and I'm looking to buy a new truck/suv. Any one on here have any experience with dealerships that aren't shady and give good deals and support us? I know there's the first responder discount but that's for brand new vehicles. Let me know guys! I'd love to give my business to a dealership that supports us out here working.

Bettenhausen Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep in Tinley Park, IL

Comment

I went to the Dodge dealership on Route 30 in Matteson a few years for a new car and those guys bent over backwards to take care of me!!!!! Having good credit also helped.
      Last edited by scotty_appleton814; 05-15-2020, 08:58 PM.

Comment

From personal experience I go to Indiana (Schereville/Merrillville/Highland) area. Very pro leo state and so are their businesses. I've bought vehicles over there and they make sure you leave happy. I don't get the same experience in the Chicago land area.
        Last edited by rr743; 05-15-2020, 06:35 PM.

Comment

By "pro-LEO" do you mean a dealership that will give you the best price or largest discount because you have a badge in your pocket?

Have you considered how close accepting a gratuity is to taking a bribe? Have you considered how close soliciting a gratuity is to asking for a bribe? Have you given any thought to the inherent conflict with your oath of office if you utilize your position of public trust for personal benefit?

During my 6-1/2 years as a police chief I would have cheerfully fired any cop in my department for taking personal advantage of the position. I'm an old guy with old fashioned values, one of which involves standing up for your oath and your word.

Enough said, especially for those who have never heard this before.

Comment

You must have been a joy to work for..

Comment

OP,

No matter how cop friendly the dealership claims to be, do your homework first when it comes to pricing. We have a dealer here who for years, had advertised in our statewide POA publication that they greatly discount discount prices for law enforcement. I went there some time back looking for a deal on a two year old used car, but failed to fully research prices before I went. I was quoted a price, told it was deeply discounted for law enforcement and was a rock bottom, no negotiating amount. Something seemed off, so I pretended to have gotten a page, called dispatch and had them look up the Kelly Blue Book Dealer Sale Price on the vehicle, only to find they were charging me full retail. When I decided to walk, all of a sudden that deeply discounted, no negotiating, rock bottom price started to come down.

Lesson learned - a car dealership claiming to be law enforcement friendly will screw you just as much as a bad guy will.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                OP,

No matter how cop friendly the dealership claims to be, do your homework first when it comes to pricing. We have a dealer here who for years, had advertised in our statewide POA publication that they greatly discount discount prices for law enforcement. I went there some time back looking for a deal on a two year old used car, but failed to fully research prices before I went. I was quoted a price, told it was deeply discounted for law enforcement and was a rock bottom, no negotiating amount. Something seemed off, so I pretended to have gotten a page, called dispatch and had them look up the Kelly Blue Book Dealer Sale Price on the vehicle, only to find they were charging me full retail. When I decided to walk, all of a sudden that deeply discounted, no negotiating, rock bottom price started to come down.

Lesson learned - a car dealership claiming to be law enforcement friendly will screw you just as much as a bad guy will.
                That is 100% correct in all. Being active duty in the military I am bombarded by "Military Discounts" and the military discounts are no different than other discounts. Years and years ago I was in sales and it was a marketing scheme to just say you have a "Educators discount" right now, or a "Fire/LE discount right now" or a "Military discount" right now, when in fact any Joe Shmoe could come in and negotiate that very same price. I guess some people need to feel a bit special before they make their purchase. Like all the new E-2s and E-3s we get who buy a brand new truck on some "Military Discount" only to find out getting that 500 dollar military discount on that 40,000 truck excluded them from their regular 1500 discount.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                  You must have been a joy to work for..
                  A joy to work for? Probably not.

A boss who would fill your shift for you so you could make it to a special family event? Yeah, that was me.

A boss who covered a cop's shifts so he could do a weekend fishing trip with his father and brother? Yeah, that was me.

A boss who made sure that one of my dispatchers could spend a couple hours every day taking care of her aging mother's needs after cancer surgery? Yeah, that was me.

A boss who drove 200 miles round-trip to appear and give testimony in a cop's contested divorce and child custody hearing to refute BS produced by the Ex's lawyers? Yeah, that was me.

I could go on indefinitely, but I think the point has been made. I was definitely not up to ChiTown standards,

Comment

• ChiTownDet
                    ChiTownDet commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good for you, giving yourself a few pats on the back to show everyone how "great a boss" you were. You were probably the guy that said getting that first cup of free coffee at 7-11 means "you've sold your badge." And btw, nobody calls their star "tin." Don't know what state or small burb you were "Chief" at, but I'll bet "your guys" sure miss having you around. Oh, and it's funny how you'll come down "with the full rath of God" on a copper who isn't getting a deal from a car dealer on a car they'd pay more for anyway. Now go back and play in the sandbox with the kids. Leave Policing to the Police.
                    And meeting my standards? You'd be the guy sitting by himself in the corner or working 10-99 his whole career.

The guy just wanted a deal on a car lol jesus. But it's a great time to buy guaranteed 0% APR for most people. so I dont think you really need a "leo friendly dealership"

Comment

Originally posted by Wonder Be View Post
                    The guy just wanted a deal on a car lol jesus. But it's a great time to buy guaranteed 0% APR for most people. so I dont think you really need a "leo friendly dealership"
                    I disagree, LOL Jesus. The guy wanted to find a place where he could flash the tin and take advantage of his position of public trust to get a sweetheart deal for himself.

Guaranteed 0% APR is fine, but you will probably find that you are paying full list price to get the financing plan. Last vehicle I purchased was ~$38,000 list, offered with 0% financing for 60 months. I went in with pre-approved financing at 3.2% by my credit union and purchased the vehicle for $27,000 and sales tax. The math is really pretty simple, but most folks aren't purchasing automobiles they are purchasing payment plans. Making the regular payments means they will always be upside down in the vehicle (meaning they always owe more than its current fair market value). Most leases are even worse, you never have any equity and your only hope at the end of the lease is to find a dealer who will take it off your hands without you having to write a check.

Comment

I find it amusing when someone tells me "Now go back and play in the sandbox with the kids. Leave Policing to the Police."

I came home from Vietnam nearly a half-century ago and joined a city police department, later served as a supervisory investigator with a major state agency, and retired long enough ago that people who started after I left are now eligible to retire. I worked on major cases individually, with a team, and as part of task forces including federal, state, and international officers. Cases took me to several US states, a couple of Canadian provinces, Mexico, and even a crap-hole city called Chicago. I have been recognized and admitted as an expert witness in state and federal courts. I have been wounded and seriously injured in the line of duty more than once.

A few things never change. One is people, the good ones, the bad ones, and everyone in between. Another is arrogant jerks with badges attached to oversized egos, just the kind who would be PO'd if they had to pay for a cup of coffee, expected to pay for a meal, or don't get the discount they think they deserve at a car dealership.

If I haven't yet been sufficiently clear on the central subject, I have absolutely no respect for anyone who would use a position of public trust for personal benefit. So ChiTown, feel free to take a bucket of sand from your little sandbox and a 3 lb. sledgehammer, sit in the corner, and pound that sand where the sun never shines.

Comment

I've been quiet on here for a while, but I'm gonna go ahead and agree with the Chief on this one. Who cares if a place is "pro LE" or not. Research your vehicle, find the best price, go find out deals and negotiate. The only time it should come up what you do is during financing because the bank will question this for the loan. Other than that, when I bought my Subaru's, I never slid my star across the table and said "sooooo what does this do for me?" I'm interpreting this the same way Chief did. Then again I also look at things the same way. I've always gotten uncomfortable with the gratuity thing.

Comment

This is from my Dad, who sold cars for years...if you want the best deal on a car, go to the dealership on the last Friday of the month (preferably the last Friday of the quarter) after 3pm. It’s their last chance to get commission for the month (or quarter), so they are more likely to come down on the price. You will also save yourself money by driving off with a car that was already on the lot. It’s a lot harder to come down on the price when you have to order it. This is for everyone, regardless of your profession.

Comment

• bluesent
                            bluesent commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thats a good advice. When I bought my first car I bought it new because I didn't want a janky car. But with the credit score I had I should have gotten a much better financing deal and a better deal on the car.. Instead I was a fool and over paid on my compact sedan. I honestly probably could've lowered the price by $5,000 seeing what the price was they sell cars in Mexico (where it's built) and what people were saying on the internet.

Plus I got a pretty bad financing rate too. 4.9% for 5 years. I had excellent credit with a history and if I bought a Kia I could've probably gotten what I wanted. But so far after 55,000 miles no issues. hopefully goes 100,000 miles without changing a lightbulb lol.
                            Last edited by bluesent; 06-14-2020, 01:05 PM.

Originally posted by Raiden341 View Post
                          I've been quiet on here for a while, but I'm gonna go ahead and agree with the Chief on this one. Who cares if a place is "pro LE" or not. Research your vehicle, find the best price, go find out deals and negotiate. The only time it should come up what you do is during financing because the bank will question this for the loan. Other than that, when I bought my Subaru's, I never slid my star across the table and said "sooooo what does this do for me?" I'm interpreting this the same way Chief did. Then again I also look at things the same way. I've always gotten uncomfortable with the gratuity thing.
                          Gratuities will frequently come back and bite you on the hind end. Pay full price and leave decent tips, no worries ever.

About 48 years ago I was working midnight shifts, off at 7AM. Several of us frequently got together at a local pub that was open early, drank a few beers, played a little pool. The bar owner never wanted payment, always tripped over himself thanking us for being there all night every night. Beer was $2 per pitcher, and we always left a $5 bill on the table.

Sure enough, bar owner gets popped for diddling underage girls, starts blowing off at the mouth about how he always supported the local cops, yada yada yada. Non-starter argument there, always more than the tab left on the table, and none of us were witnesses or working the case.

Local tow truck operator ran a little deal with a couple of patrolmen, spotting abandoned cars that were towed and sold for salvage. Guess what happened when the tow guy got popped?

Local bail bondsmen throwing elaborate parties for the cops, always made sure everyone had plenty of his business cards to hand out to arrestees at the booking desk. Guess what happened when the bondsman got jammed up a little bit?

Local restaurant always refused payment for meals served to on-duty cops (and off-duty when recognized). Restaurant owner gets in a bind, guess what his squeal was all about?

I could go on for hours. Juvenile detective who became romantically involved with an underage hooker. Senior officer getting involved in political campaign, and the candidate getting popped for professional sports gambling. Officer on the pawn shop detail getting sweetheart deals on stuff he was selling on the side.

It all starts with something small, even trivial. Favors lead to gratuities, and gratuities lead to corruption.

End of lecture.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3131 users online. 217 members and 2914 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X