300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poly test???

Im going to most likely be doing a poly test soon. What does it basically consist of since this will be my first one ever? Also, (yeah I know a 2-parter), if you have any tips I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

First point of advice dont lie, second try to relax and just let your answers flow. I will add I think the polygraph is a complete crock of sh**! The ones I have taken consisted of a questionaire before hand then the exaiminer will go over the questions with you. They may ask you to clarify any answers you gave after the test. Don't be surprised if you dont pass. I failed them and passed them before I was hired. I took a poly at the same place twice. Failed the first time and passed the second time. Oh and to be clear I didnt lie or leave anything out. It's just my opinion these things are not accurate and thats why they are not admissiable in court.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

You'll be asked questions that you have already answered. Its basically confirming what you listed in your BI packet. Don't worry just be honest and you have nothing to worry about.
      “Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway” (John Wayne)

Comment

Thanks. I was just wondering because everything in the BI questionaire was answered a "no" when it asked about drugs/alcohol habits. I dont drink nor do drugs. I never been arrested, etc. So yeah everyone is telling me I have it super easy if every answer on the sheet is a No.

Again thanks for the advice. And I agree with the statement that they are a crock. Just hope I pass this one, its everything to me. Thanks again.

Comment

Another thing about the poly is the less you know about the questions before hand the better off you are. So don't go searching for what questions they will ask because you will have more time than you would want to dwell on the answers.
          My worst day as a police officer is a million times better than the best day on any other job!

RIP Joseph Bokholdt 2-14-1983 to 5-27-2008.

Comment

Originally posted by robert2006 View Post
            Another thing about the poly is the less you know about the questions before hand the better off you are. So don't go searching for what questions they will ask because you will have more time than you would want to dwell on the answers.

I agree. For some reason I do a lot better, in general, when I dont know what is going to happen rather than finding out about something and becoming over-confident in myself. Then finding out I failed.

Comment

The polygraph test is designed to read your reactions to questions and answers. Changes in your blood pressure, heart rate, and muscle reactions. That's why polygraph tests are not used as evidence in court proceedings anymore. People can pass the test however, still be lying. Also, on the other hand you can be telling the truth but, you are so nerves you fail because of the amount of stress you are under. Case in point, I know a few people that have taken the poly. and passed it and lied about drugs and alcohol usage in there past. If you are calm and undercontrol you can easily pass the test. So relax take a deep breath you will know all the questions they will ask you before the test starts. Drugs, alcohol, gambling, bribes, gangs, theft, any criminal activity you will be asked about.

Comment

Originally posted by livestrong6 View Post
                The polygraph test is designed to read your reactions to questions and answers. Changes in your blood pressure, heart rate, and muscle reactions. That's why polygraph tests are not used as evidence in court proceedings anymore. People can pass the test however, still be lying. Also, on the other hand you can be telling the truth but, you are so nerves you fail because of the amount of stress you are under. Case in point, I know a few people that have taken the poly. and passed it and lied about drugs and alcohol usage in there past. If you are calm and undercontrol you can easily pass the test. So relax take a deep breath you will know all the questions they will ask you before the test starts. Drugs, alcohol, gambling, bribes, gangs, theft, any criminal activity you will be asked about.
                THanks for the insight. It should help out a lot when the time comes, which is very soon.

Comment

Tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!!!!!!!!
                  "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by grumpyirishman View Post
                    Tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!!!!!!!!
                    lol...so help me God. Had to say that. Ive been telling the truth the entire process and not planning on changing that. I was raised by my family to be honest and Honesty it shall be.

Comment

If thats the case then I wouldn't even sweat it. Just another stepping stone on the way to the other side of the creek.

Comment

Update: Found out I have to go Shaumburg. Anyone have any info about how they conduct their poly exam?

Everyone thanks for the info and advice.
                        Last edited by ChgoPaintball; 06-04-2007, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Want to say thank you all for your advice on this topic. I just informing you that I passed the poly exam. Im excitied. Again, thank you all.

Comment

Just took the poly again for a diff dept. Ummmm how much can you say you drank without getting bounced? I'm guessing it's up to the dept hiring interpretation. They asked how many times you have 6 or more beers on an occasion in a year. I put once a month, so 12. I mean honestly, if you have a family party over 6 hours you can have 6 beers and be stone sober basically. haha. Then you can drive. Stupid questions that can be interpreted in a dark or light side. These tests are crocks fyi. If all current cops answer that question I bet most would be over 100 times a year haha
                            Last edited by hockey2121; 12-22-2012, 09:50 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4176 users online. 244 members and 3932 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X