Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POWER Test Extension

Hey folks,

I had a question for some experienced Illinois guys. I am currently already hired as a full time officer, and slated to take my POWER exam in December for the academy in January.

Since my hire date, which was late August, I’ve been hitting it hard every day, and my run is where it needs to be, no problem with the sit and reach or sit ups, but I’m a skinny guy and have been struggling to build muscle to hit by bench requirement. My fear is running out of time and not hitting my requirement and being DQ’d from the academy.

So my question is, in your experience what happens if an officer is already hired on and fails the POWER test?

Also, outside of not finding a class that isn’t full, does anyone know what kind of extensions are granted by the training board?

My agency seems willing to work with me as they know the time I’m putting in, but I’ve been told extensions are not granted for any reasons regarding the POWER test. I only mention the extension because i feel with a few more months of steady work, i could hit my goal, but run the risk of hurting my 6 month timeline to be in the academy.

It’s my dream agency, and I’d hate to miss my chance because I couldn’t hit my benchpress.

Any knowledge or advice offered, I appreciate in advance.

How can you be hired already if you haven’t taken a power test? If the academy they are sending you to takes power test, one would assume the agency doing the hiring does as well.

Comment

The only agency I'm aware that gives multiple extensions and/or additional chances for The Power Test, is Chicago PD. I have a friend who failed twice and was given an additional opportunity to retake it with CPD. This practice is almost non-existent when it comes to most suburban departments.

Funny enough, back when I was in the academy with CPD Metro, some guy managed to make it to the academy and was unable to complete the POWER test during the first couple of weeks in the academy. This guy was not allowed to wear his uniform, and was forced to wear his gym sweats for weeks until he managed to pass The Power Test. It was pretty embarrassing. Lucky for him his agency didn't terminate him.
      Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

AFAIK the standards were meant to be tested on a specific brand of smith machine (ergo, not a barbell bench press). When I took my POWER a few months ago it was on this ancient machine that the MTU coordinator said was the original testing machine. If you're not already, try to workout on a barbell because you'll get stronger overall vs just using a smith machine and then when it comes time to test you'll nail it. Remember you only have to lift it once. Improve your lifting technique and try to use an arch in your back when you lift. Drive your toes into the ground and drive your shoulder blades and head into the bench.

You're probably not eating enough to build the muscle required to lift heavier. Drink some whole milk and focus on your bench.

You have two months. That is plenty of time to get your bench sorted if you are passing everything else.
        Last edited by Saluki89; 10-31-2019, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Merohingi View Post
          How can you be hired already if you haven’t taken a power test? If the academy they are sending you to takes power test, one would assume the agency doing the hiring does as well.
          It’s a fairly small agency. There are only a few of us, and there was not a POWER test as part of the agency hiring process. I have already completed my 40 hour firearms training and am already working the road with a senior deputy.

Comment

I don't know if it's been brought up but pushups. Every single day pushups. Then when they start getting easier, start adding weight. Add a weigted backpack. Then feet on a chair. Plus your normal chest routine.

Comment

Originally posted by Saluki89 View Post
              AFAIK the standards were meant to be tested on a specific brand of smith machine (ergo, not a barbell bench press). When I took my POWER a few months ago it was on this ancient machine that the MTU coordinator said was the original testing machine. If you're not already, try to workout on a barbell because you'll get stronger overall vs just using a smith machine and then when it comes time to test you'll nail it. Remember you only have to lift it once. Improve your lifting technique and try to use an arch in your back when you lift. Drive your toes into the ground and drive your shoulder blades and head into the bench.

You're probably not eating enough to build the muscle required to lift heavier. Drink some whole milk and focus on your bench.

You have two months. That is plenty of time to get your bench sorted if you are passing everything else.
              I appreciate the information. I’m 6’3, and 150. So as you can imagine, I’m a thin guy with a long way to push that bar with my long arms. I have been working on my chest and back and arms and shoulders every day and have increased my bench about 10lbs in the past few weeks but I’m still about 40lbs from where I need to be. I’m sticking to working hard every day even though a few of my buddies who lift think it’s just too much in too short a time.

I will start eating more for sure. I skip breakfast often which isn’t good. In addition to working at the agency I was just hired at I also work full time at another LE job, so it hurts my food options and gym times, but I’ve been making it a point to get it done regardless.

Thanks for the advice and confidence.

Comment

• Saluki89
                Saluki89 commented
                Editing a comment
                Creatine will help. Whole milk is an easy way of getting calories and protein in quickly and easily. Protein shakes too. Gotta eat though.

Originally posted by boconnor View Post
              I don't know if it's been brought up but pushups. Every single day pushups. Then when they start getting easier, start adding weight. Add a weigted backpack. Then feet on a chair. Plus your normal chest routine.
              I do 4 sets of 20 push ups, and then 2 sets of 10 with my arms out in a day.

For months I was doing 100 a day... Incorrectly. So it did noting for me. I’ve corrected my form now.

But whenever I get time I do push-ups and try to do one set when I have my vest and belt on.

Comment

Creatine will help. Whole milk is an easy way of getting calories and protein in quickly and easily. Protein shakes too. Gotta eat.

I had a buddy give me some Viking Whey protein powder, said it would help me gain muscle, but then another buddy told me that I’d just be adding weight which means more I’d have to put up!

Comment

• Saluki89
                  Saluki89 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You need to gain muscle to get stronger. That's how the body works. 6 3 150 is underweight. I'm 6 2 210 and I feel like I'm not big enough.

You need to gain muscle to get stronger. That's how the body works. 6 3 150 is underweight. I'm 6 2 210 and I feel like I'm not big enough.
                No doubt. I’m definitely too skinny. My fear was just gaining weight and not the muscle to support it, but I’m working out heavily so that shouldn’t be an issue?

Comment

• Saluki89
                  Saluki89 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Someone with your build will naturally keep the fat off. It's all about caloric excess. If you are burning up the calories you eat everyday while providing your body adequate macronutrients required to put on muscle, your body won't put on fat.

Unless they changed it, you get two chances to pass the POWER test at SLEA. If you fail your bench and pass everything else, they’ll schedule you to come back on a different day to try your bench again.

Comment

Your DMs are turned off, Yossarian.

Comment

Originally posted by Jami86e View Post
                    Your DMs are turned off, Yossarian.
                    I’m not quite sure how to turn them on. I just checked my settings but couldn’t find anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Jami86e View Post
                      Unless they changed it, you get two chances to pass the POWER test at SLEA. If you fail your bench and pass everything else, they’ll schedule you to come back on a different day to try your bench again.

Everything I’ve read has said you are allowed a second attempt at whatever you failed, but it has to be within 72 hours. If I can’t put up the weight the first day, I doubt I’d be able to put it up 3 days later. That’s the bummer. It’s the only one of the requirements that isn’t something can be passed with pure determination, like the run, stretch or sit ups. You HAVE to have the muscle to bench that body weight.

Comment

Is this department in the Lake/McHenry County area?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12686 users online. 497 members and 12189 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X