300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrations with departments

Anyone have any bad experences with the final stages of hiring? I made it to the exec interview for a department only to be told I was over qualififed for the position. I made it to another department that same week, same level, only to be told by the cheif that he liked me but the board likes hiring people older. It's hard to be told those responces from departments.

Originally posted by impalaman View Post
    Anyone have any bad experences with the final stages of hiring? I made it to the exec interview for a department only to be told I was over qualififed for the position. I made it to another department that same week, same level, only to be told by the cheif that he liked me but the board likes hiring people older. It's hard to be told those responces from departments.
    wow IL must be a tough place to get a law enforcement job
    "Damned if you do and damned if you dont"

Comment

Must have been some podunk dept. to say you were over qualified. Unless you were literally a brain surgeon before, there is no such thing as "over qualiified" in the LE field. Now for saying you are too young, sounds like a dept. looking to open up an EEOC lawsuit on their hands. If everything else was in order, it would make no sense to discriminate based up age. But, here is another way to look at things. If these dept.'s were willing to treat you like this, would you even want to be HIRED by them? I'm sure it is just the tip of the iceberg on treating people improperly. Keep testing and you will see when a dept. just "clicks" for you.
      www.saveavet.org

Comment

Dogcop,
        You are very wise. The cheif spoke to me for an hour during the first interview and said "we don't have anyone here under 30, they come and go too often". You make a point, probably would have been a train wreck to work there. I will take your advice and keep testing, ISP is right around the corner.

Comment

Wow, that haves to suck major monkey.... I havent gotten that far in the process but that is my worse fear of the board telling me im over qualified. Those two words always seems to get me angry and throw me off (dept. store told me when i applied). I mean, how can someone be over quialified? If I had the choice of hiring someone that is mediocre or over qualified, I would take the over qualified anyday of the week. I know that person will do the job right and get it down without problems.
          I hope that doesnt happen to me with what is going on with me.

Comment

Originally posted by ChgoPaintball View Post
            Wow, that haves to suck major monkey.... I havent gotten that far in the process but that is my worse fear of the board telling me im over qualified. Those two words always seems to get me angry and throw me off (dept. store told me when i applied). I mean, how can someone be over quialified? If I had the choice of hiring someone that is mediocre or over qualified, I would take the over qualified anyday of the week. I know that person will do the job right and get it down without problems.
            I hope that doesnt happen to me with what is going on with me.

You received at letter saying you failed the Psych after the medical and BI interview? How do you know when you passed it? I also tested in Feb, and thought once you go on to the next step your good.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago30 View Post
              You received at letter saying you failed the Psych after the medical and BI interview? How do you know when you passed it? I also tested in Feb, and thought once you go on to the next step your good.
              You will only get a letter if you failed the psych, if you passed then no news is good news...normally takes 2-3 months for your psych results to come back. If you really want to know you can call the recruitment line or your BI if you have one, but if you didnt get a letter yet and you took the oral in Jan or at least Mid Feb, you SHOULD be OK (hence the word SHOULD).

Comment

Originally posted by 0311Grunt View Post
                You will only get a letter if you failed the psych, if you passed then no news is good news...normally takes 2-3 months for your psych results to come back. If you really want to know you can call the recruitment line or your BI if you have one, but if you didnt get a letter yet and you took the oral in Jan or at least Mid Feb, you SHOULD be OK (hence the word SHOULD).
                I had the psych 3 months ago. Can you PM me the recruitment line, I don't have a BI yet.

So I'm safe?

Comment

The question was asked how can you be "over qualified" for a job...I work in HR, here is a senerio......We have an open position for a filing clerk, 10-12 dollar an hr positon...I get 2 resumes....
                  Resume #1- Recent college grad from U of I...degree in business....graduated in the top half of his/her class....extemley intellegent person.

Resume #2- High School Grad...some JUCO...working full time since HS...3 years office clerk experience...seems bright, hard working, reliable.

I'm hiring #2....Reason being? #1 is over qualified for this position...recent college grad, odd's are they didnt go to school to be a filing clerk...they are probably just looking for a steady paycheck until they can find something better, which will probably be sooner then later and then we wasted time and money training and now we have to start a search all over again.... #2 looks like they will stick around for a long time and be a better fit.....a case can be made that this person is looking for a foot in the door and to work there way up, but all depends on there degree and training and what the company does...so if you are told you are over qualified, take it as a compliment...and for you recent college grads, trust me this may happen to you if you apply for a job that is beneath your level of education and training.

Comment

Let me throw something out for all of you to think about. If you look at police requirements in Illinois or any other state in this country you will find these minimum requirements.....generally you must have a HS Diploma or a GED......some departments will go a little further and require an AA or hours.....those that require the hours generally have a plan b or plan c...you know two years prior sworn experience or 4 years military experience blah blah blah.

Historically, most PD's required nothing but a HS Diploma or GED and many agencies hired a ton of Officers following the end of a war Korea, Vietnam, and the Gulf War....the VIetnam vets are all retiring or near it and the Gulf Vets will start to retire in abt ten years.

THat being said many cops later got their degrees on the GI BIll or thru tuition reimbursement. Fast forward a little bit and look at the years in between when there was no war or the economy was crappy. PD's had TONS of applicants and they needed a way to weed out so many applicants. The world of policing sought to make itself a profession and not a vocation.

What is the difference between a profession and a vocation? More simply what is the difference between an accountant and a bookeeper? EDUCATION!!!

Today the "profession" is run by those who later got their degrees or in lieu of military service went straight to college. The minimum requirements have never changed but most PD's now elect to pick the "best of the best" based upon a compilation of skills.....some of those skills are the combined byproduct of life experiences, language skills, military experience, personal hardships discovered in the BI....etc etc etc.

Because of the fact that we deal with people everday, LE is one of the few fields where regardless of what you did in life , you can make use of it in LE!!

Sometimes, unfortunately the other unmistakable fact is politics... even in Illinois many decisions boil down to WHO you know and not WHAT you know.

Keep plugging away, there are very few of us in this field who got hired as a cop at 21 and picked up by the only PD they applied to the first time. DONT GIVE UP!!
                    You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

"Because of the fact that we deal with people everday, LE is one of the few fields where regardless of what you did in life , you can make use of it in LE!!"

Well said City. Crisp and to the point.
                      Last edited by Vertex; 05-16-2007, 01:07 PM. Reason: Lost quotes

Comment

miss my home state, illinois....

chicago & midlothian ....

looking back: thank you, indiana harbor belt railroad for laying me off
                        in 1982.....

will be eligible to retire: oct 2008 at age 48, = 25 yr's.........
                        " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                        " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

I will keep testing everywhere. 4/5 Saturdays are booked, and 2/4 Saturdays are booked in July, with another exam during the week TBA. I should go back to school and start my masters. Anyone else find it super hard to go to school, work full time and test?

Comment

i had the same thing happen to me, hell Zion pd even gave me a start date, then out of the blue i got this nice little letter telling me that i had been passed over... in retrospect that was a good thing, it would have taken me years out there to learn and see the things that i have done in the short time i have been with the city. just keep tryin and dont give up, if you want it bad enough you'll get it.

good luck
                            In God we trust... All others check NCIC...

Shop smart... Shop "S" mart!

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3494 users online. 221 members and 3273 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X