300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some help on a question

Hello. I had an interview with a panel board last month, now I have been called in to have a one on one meeting with the Police Chief. I'm wondering if this is how all departments do it? Just curious as I have never had this happen before. Just curious cause I would have figured the Chief would have been present at the board oral interview.

Originally posted by maidana View Post
    Hello. I had an interview with a panel board last month, now I have been called in to have a one on one meeting with the Police Chief. I'm wondering if this is how all departments do it? Just curious as I have never had this happen before. Just curious cause I would have figured the Chief would have been present at the board oral interview.
    It is very common to have lower level administrators/supervisors conduct the first round oral interviews. The pool is then reduced to a manageable number for the consideration of the appointing authority (Chief/Sheriff/ etc).

The Chief's interview then takes place so the boss man can meet the person to decide if he/she wants that person to work for the agency
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• maidana
      maidana commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks you!!

Which department was it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jami86e View Post
      Which department was it?
      Harvey. The same department he openly bashed on this forum 2 months prior to applying.

Good luck Maidana. Stay humble.
      Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

Originally posted by StephDakel View Post

Harvey. The same department he openly bashed on this forum 2 months prior to applying.

Good luck Maidana. Stay humble.
        That’s exactly what I was wondering. They probably saw the thread.

Comment

• maidana
          maidana commented
          Editing a comment
          Its not Harvey. Pm me.

Our process:
        1. Application review, which winnows a couple hundred applications down to around 40-50 applicants.
        2. Oral board, which will take it down to about 20-30 applicants.
        3. Assessment center, reducing the field to around 10-15
        4. Background screening, which usually eliminates around half of those remaining
        5. Chief's interview of all remaining applicants

Comment

What do they ask in oral interviews? How long do they last?

Comment

Originally posted by dbland128 View Post
            What do they ask in oral interviews? How long do they last?
            Most will ask questions that measure:
            • Experience – assesses your ability and experience in accepting responsibilities and performing assigned tasks as demonstrated through achievements in work, school, and other activities.
            • Problem Solving – assesses your reasoning skills in developing timely, logical responses to a wide variety of situations and problems.
            • Communication Skills – assesses your oral communications skills, which includes speaking, listening, and non-verbal communication.
            • Interest/Motivation – addresses your interest in and preparedness for the peace officer job. It includes an assessment of your general level of interest, initiative, and goal orientation.
            • Interpersonal Skills – assesses many facets, such as social knowledge/appropriateness, social insight, empathy, social influence, social self-regulation, sociability, team orientation, social self-confidence, conflict management skills, and negotiating skills.
            • Community Involvement/Awareness – focuses specifically on your experiences and interest in community issues, as well as your interest in and ability to fill multiple roles and serve a diverse community.
            Orals may run anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes. A lot depends on the applicant. Make an idiot of yourself and the oral will be over in a couple minutes, or it could stretch for a long time if the oral panel finds your idiocy amusing. OTOH, if the panel finds you engaging, the oral could stretch for a long time. I once took an oral that was supposed to last for 15 minutes. Part of it was to demonstrate my public speaking ability and I was told to pick any subject I wanted, stand up and talk for five minutes. I picked something that fascinated the oral board members and at the end of my five minutes, they made me continue for another 25, because they wanted to learn more about what I was talking about.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• dbland128
              dbland128 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you this helped answer my question

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8079 users online. 381 members and 7698 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X