300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory Psychological Testing

I was wondering do you guys thing Psychological testing should be mandatory in Illinois like it is in other states. Currently it is up to the agency if they want to do them. Through my research I have found out a lot of agencies, especially smaller ones, outside the Chicago area don't conduct them do to cost.

Absolutely. Psych exams evaluate applicants to determine if they are free from any emotional or mental condition that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a police officer, and to otherwise ensure that the candidate is capable of withstanding the psychological demands of the position. As such, they are great at weeding out problem applicants.

However, these tests are not without flaws. I have seen applicants fail a psych exam for agency A on Monday and pass a psych exam for Department B on Wednesday. It's not that these were unfit candidates, but that criteria for testing can vary from agency to agency, or from testing physician to physician, or that a physician's personal bias may come into play. For example, we had one Psychologist in our area who routinely failed very applicant under the age of 25 because, irrespective of test results, it was his personal opinion that anyone under that age lacked sufficient maturity for the job.

If you want to get a better feel for the how and why of psych screening, download and read this:

https://post.ca.gov/portals/0/post_d...ing_Manual.pdf

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I don't how the rest of Illinois is but back when I was testing in the Chicago area every pd I've applied to had a psychological portion of testing.

Comment

• inventorchris
        inventorchris commented
        Editing a comment
        A lot of agencies in the rest of the state only conduct them if they feel like it is necessary.

Retired cop here, and anyone who chooses to be a cop in modern America needs some serious psychological testing, maybe even some treatment. Really, who would volunteer for a proctology examination every day of their lives? Nuff said.

Comment

Psychological tests should be required in my opinion. It's the polygraphs that are a complete joke.
        Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

I did all my testing in Lake/Cook/McHenry Counties when I was applying. Each and every one of the agencies required a psych test. I thought that was pretty standard at this point.

And I agree with the sentiment above about the polygraph being nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by retired1995 View Post
            Retired cop here, and anyone who chooses to be a cop in modern America needs some serious psychological testing, maybe even some treatment. Really, who would volunteer for a proctology examination every day of their lives? Nuff said.

Well someone has to hold the line. Speaking of which I need to start getting ready for work
            Last edited by southpaw1; 09-28-2019, 02:32 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4196 users online. 187 members and 4009 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X