Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C.O.P.S. And F.I.R.E. Test

Hi,

So, up until this point in my testing career, I have managed to avoid the infamous C.O.P.S. And F.I.R.E. Test, and all I know about it is based on others’ reports. Now there is a department I am interested in that is using said test, and I do not want to miss out, just because of what other people have said about this test. Plus, I feel if so many people struggle with it, then most likely most struggle with it, and the scores will reflect that.

So my question is, for those of you who have been through this particular test, do you feel the study guide and/or their test taking strategies class in Schaumburg is worth it, or do you feel it’s best to save the money and just go into it as I do with the other tests? I typically score in the high 80s/low to mid 90s and have not felt a study guide would have made a difference for me with the other testing companies, so I’m wondering if it would be the same with this one, not necessarily the score, but in regards to a study guide or class not making a difference.

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by Jami86e; 07-24-2019, 11:46 AM.

If you score in the 90's why have you not been hired yet?

Comment

• Jami86e
      Jami86e commented
      Editing a comment
      The only answer I can give you is it just wasn’t the right timing. Every department is looking for something different. I had one department only take the top 20 scores on the test and everyone else was out of luck. I scored a 92 on the test, but my position was around 40, so my high-ish score didn’t matter at all.

• Jami86e
      Jami86e commented
      Editing a comment
      I have also only been through the process four times thus far, so it’s not as if I’ve been turned down by 60 different departments.

I took several tests for several different depts issued by practically all the testing firms in Illinois, averaged in the high 80's in scoring and it still took me a while to get on. When it's your time it's your time, it'll come just don't quit. As for cops and fire I've taken their test twice, passed both times, but didnt get hired by those depts. I have ZERO idea of how they grade these exams.

Don't know much about the class you speak of so I can't really weigh in on that, but I can say that I used no study guide to prepare for the test. The way it's set up I really don't see how a guide or class can help you. You'll have very little time to answer SEVERAL questions. All I can say is trust your intellect. Go with the 1st logical answer your brain spits out and keep that going through the buzzer. If you've been scoring that well on previous test I think you'll be fine without spending the extra money. Good luck!

Comment

• Jami86e
      Jami86e commented
      Editing a comment
      This answers my question; thank you!

• ChiTownDet
      ChiTownDet commented
      Editing a comment
      My son went there and did the practice test. He had taken this test several times before and said the $25 for the practice one didn't help and the money would have been better spent on another PD app.

Took this test about 10 times, never took study session, gets easier the more you take it, you’ll know what I mean by the second time you take test.

After a while you’ll be able to place top 10 easily. Then someone will hire you

Comment

• Jami86e
      Jami86e commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not sure how many opportunities I'll have to take this test...I'm almost 35.

• irobles3680
      irobles3680 commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe for some departments you can’t but not all. I have guys in my academy class now that are almost 50 out performing 20 year olds. I’m 24 and the best physically fit award going to someone in their 30s

• Jami86e
      Jami86e commented
      Editing a comment
      They are either laterals or military, if it’s a suburban municipal department.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4832 users online. 183 members and 4649 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X