300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy firing range for off duty PO's

Does anyone know the Sat. hours at the academy gun range for off-duty PO's to practice? Also, I heard a rumor that we're now being provided 2 cases of practice ammo a year. Can anybody confirm?

No idea but I'll ask tomorrow.

Comment

What do you have to do at the academy to qual on the pistol range? When I was in the Marines it was from like 7...15...and 25 meters away, certain amount in the black (sorry any Marines if I am off on the distance, been 12 years since I pistol qual). What is the requirments at the academy?

Comment

Originally posted by 0311Grunt View Post
        What do you have to do at the academy to qual on the pistol range? When I was in the Marines it was from like 7...15...and 25 meters away, certain amount in the black (sorry any Marines if I am off on the distance, been 12 years since I pistol qual). What is the requirments at the academy?

You have to shoot a total of 100 rounds at 7, 15, & 25 feet with I believe a 65%. I may be off on the percentage. Anywhere in the box counts.

Comment

Qualification is only 50 rounds and anything in the box counts. I don't remember what passing was but I thought it was 70. 26 rounds at 7 yards, 16 rounds at 15 yards, and 8 rounds at 25 yards. At least that's what I remember from a few months ago. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. The CPD academy gives you a practice round first which is why you might have said 100 rounds. CPD's annual requal is only 30 rounds. Same distances but I don't remember how many shots at each.

Comment

So, how about those range hours? Anybody know?

Comment

Best bet is call the academy. TS622, where do you work out of? Your district should have a posting of range times.

Comment

Originally posted by cpdjarhead View Post
                Best bet is call the academy. TS622, where do you work out of? Your district should have a posting of range times.
                I'm in 10th Dist. I haven't seen a posting and I've asked a couple of people who weren't sure. I'm pretty sure the hours are 0800 to 1000. I guess my main question is about the ammo. When I was in the academy we were told to bring our own ammo but now I'm hearing this rumor that we get 2 boxes per year for practice. I haven't had anyone confirm that they actually went to the range and were given the ammo though. Just curious.

Comment

Here is your info. Range times at the academy on sat. 0800-1600. Bring your old ammo to shoot and once you are done they will supply you with a new box of 50.

Comment

Originally posted by cpdjarhead View Post
                    Here is your info. Range times at the academy on sat. 0800-1600. Bring your old ammo to shoot and once you are done they will supply you with a new box of 50.
                    Thanks for the info! Much appreciated!

Comment

The range hours are as follows:

1st watch - 2200-0600 hours - Monday night thru Friday Night
                      2nd watch - 0800-1600hours - Saturday

These hours are for the academy range only, and are designed for an open shoot. The department (CPD) provides Chicago officers with 100 rounds per year (.38, 9mm or .45) after that, you must supply your own ammo. For availabiity, call the range directly, the number is in your FOP book.

Comment

Thanks guys! Went to the academy to get some practice in today and picked up my 2 boxes of ammo.

Comment

As non-CPD here, I am curious... So can you shoot at the range as many times as you want to a year or is it limited? Now for the ammo, are you saying that they give you 2 boxes to use on your own time, like if you go to another range, or is ALL that they provide for you in the year is 2 boxes? At my PD, which has a range in the basement, we can shoot as many times in the year as we want (and do it on-duty). Usually shoot at least once a month and ammo is unlimited. I shot close to 300 rounds the last time I was down there. Just curious.
                          www.saveavet.org

Comment

No, you can go to the range at the academy as many times as you like. The Dept. provides you with 2 boxes of practice ammo a year, the rest you provide yourself. While you're at the range you can shoot as much ammo as you like as well. I don't know how strict they are but the instructor that I spoke to said that they prefer that you shoot the practice ammo that is provided by the Dept. at the academy range.
                            Last edited by ts622; 05-12-2007, 07:15 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4751 users online. 280 members and 4471 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X