X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flydream777
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2006

Medical

I have my medical on Wed (not for CPD)... What can I expect? I've been told I will have to run on a treadmill, but a friend of mine who got hired for a different dept said he did not have to do that... Is there anything I can expect in general?
  • broland
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2005

I'm sure it depends on the department. For CPD, it is pretty much like you'd expect: pulse, blood pressure, temperature, height, weight, 3 blood samples (single needle stick, tho), urine specimen, vision test (acuity, depth perception, color blindness, peripheral vision), glaucoma test, hearing test, lung capacity test, EKG, chest x-ray(s), and final examination by an MD. I might be forgetting one or two items but you get the idea.

For me, at least, the doctor's exam was a straight up joke. He came in, didn't introduce himself, kinda poked and felt my back & abdomen, listened with the stethoscope in a couple places and hit my knees and elbows with the rubber mallet. I'm obviously not a doctor but I have a bit of a medical background and I can tell you he did some of the examination just plain wrong. He actually put the stethoscope on the points of my shoulders like he'd hear something useful there. He also hit my knees in the wrong place with the reflex mallet. Oh well.

Comment

• angelasdad
      Forum Member
      • Jan 2006

mine was vision,hearing, breathing (blow into a tube), gave some blood, drug test, quick check by a dr.,listened to lungs and heart, and a few x rays of my chest and lower back area. pretty basic stuff and usually nothing to worry about if you're in decent shape.

Comment

• flydream777
        Forum Member
        • Jan 2006

Is the glaucoma test that air-puff machine thing?

Comment

• broland
          Forum Member
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by flydream777
          Is the glaucoma test that air-puff machine thing?
          God, I wish. The one had at Advocate Occupational on MLK was a contact test. The nurse numbed my eye with anesthetic drops, then pressed directly on my cornea with an instrument that had a readout that I guess shows pass or fail. I was unlike any glaucoma test I've ever had before.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19131 users online. 45 members and 19086 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...