300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott32 View Post
    So basically the guy who has a BA in law enforcement like me really doesn't have a chance to get hired because he isn't a veteran or prior law enforcement experience? I hope we get a fair look at too. I tested back in Jan 2006, I was told only the people who do well on the wonderlic test which is a timed 15 minute IQ test get serious looks. Is that true? The other parts of the testing is the math/Vocab test along with the psych portion which seemed like it took forever. Do all of those factors decide who the merit commisiion wants to progress in the testing process?
    Read my post a little higher up. Your banded based on your suitability to be a trooper. Wonderlic is just one test of many. I can't see where it would rank you that much higher or lower unless you totally bombed. It's probably more a test of your aptitude and ability to think quickly and problem solve. Usually the psych test is the one that really is valued for your suitability. From Wikipedia:
    "The Wonderlic Personnel Test is an intelligence test primarily known for being administered to prospective players in the National Football League since the 1970s. The Wonderlic is a twelve-minute, fifty-question exam to assess aptitude for learning a job and adapting to solve problems for employees in a wide range of occupations. The score is calculated as the number of correct answers given in the allotted time. A score of 20 is intended to indicate average intelligence. While an average football player usually scores around 20 points, The Wonderlic, Inc claims a score of at least 10 points suggests a person is literate [2]. Furthermore, when the test was given to miscellaneous people of various professions, it was observed that the average participant scored a 24."
    As for the degree, veteran and military thing... I'm prior military, have a four year degree in Business (3.98 GPA) and 12 years in law enforcement. I'm 33, physically fit and love policing. Is the ISP looking for people just like me? Yes and no. You want all sorts in policing and prior military service and law enforcement are obvious choices because they tend to fit in well with the career. That doesn't mean that every veteran will make a great cop but many do. Plus seeing how the ISP is a law enforcement agency, prior law enforcement experience is a huge plus...so yes, that's probably gonna carry more weight than you with just your degree. Why? Well, if you have an accounting firm and you have some major clients, when you have an opening, do you want the guy fresh from college who just graduated or the guy who has several years at another accounting firm but really wants to work for you? Most people want to higher the guy with the real world, on the job experience. Law enforcement is no different. If all things are equal, you look for the one thing not equal. Ok, both have college, good grades, clean background, one has LE experience and the other doesn't. That's an easy choice.

All that said, at some point it needs to be your first law enforcement job either here with the ISP or somewhere else. Many enter into the career field each year and many exit right on out. We always need good people from all walks of life and backgrounds. Whether your first LEO job be with the ISP or another agency...some agency will be your first and for many, the ISP is their first LEO job.

But in the end, them not selecting you means only one thing. They didn't select you. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. It's very well possible, as great as you where, there might have been greater ones who applied. I have about 5 days or so before I find out if I'm going to class 115 or not and I have no clue. At my interview there were people with just college (most had just college), quite a few with prior service military and some with law enforcement (not a ton but some did). The applicants I saw were some really good looking applicants. Dressed nice, sharp, professional, etc. A tough group to be evaluated against form all areas (prior military, just college, LEOs, a combination of all three). Don't take it personal, just re-apply. You shouldn't let it discourage you. Thousands apply but only 50 or so attend the academy each class, at some point someone has to be turned down that thinks they shouldn't have. I wish you all the best and good luck in your endeavors.

Comment

Originally posted by ISPCAPT View Post
      You can thank Motorola for what starcom is now.
      I'm not familar...what is Starcom?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott32 View Post
        So basically the guy who has a BA in law enforcement like me really doesn't have a chance to get hired because he isn't a veteran or prior law enforcement experience?
        Everyone gets looked at, just depends on what you have to offer. Remember that when you apply for a job you are in competition with everyone else who is applying. Meeting the minimum standards means you get to apply but you would be competing with others who meet the minimum standards plus have a more developed resume and life experiences. That's no different than in any other job. The guy with just the BA doesn't rank as high as someone with an MA and work experience and has a proven record.
        Your reference to the guy on the east coast is old news. That happened several years ago. Also, I'd be leery of taking everything on the internet and newspaper as 100% fact. The guy might have scored high. That in and of itself doesn't mean he'd make a good cop. I've seen people who score high but when you get into their backgrounds you find they haven't got the sense God gave a goose.
        Jettroop pretty well explained it.

Originally posted by JetTroop View Post
        I'm not familar...what is Starcom?
        Basically it's a trunked system with talk groups which will allow agencies to all communicate with each other. Currently ISPERN and IREACH were set up to do that but both of those are in the 154 mhz range and a lot of agencies have gone to the 800-900 range so the officer on the street no longer has ISPERN/IREACH capabilities. So you can be on a detail with 10 other agencies and no one can talk to the other. I've worked some pretty major incidents/details where we had to assign officers to each others comm centers just to relay to our agencies what the other agencies are doing or need. With starcom there's a way to link all those together.
        183 FBINA

Comment

So basically the guy who has a BA in law enforcement like me really doesn't have a chance to get hired because he isn't a veteran or prior law enforcement experience?

I had no LE experience (besides an internship with ISP) and no military. Just a BS in criminal justice, minor in biology and a clean record. Your chances are as good as you make them. If you have recent history of drug use, heavy drinking, or things like that you don't look so good. There were alot of people in my class who were in their mid 20's, basically straight out of college. There were also people who had prior LE, military, or lengthy careers in an unrelated field. Everybody has a chance, it just depends on how you rank against th people who are in the pool at the same time you are.

Comment

Is there any waivers from the BA/4 year degree?

Comment

Originally posted by navy80 View Post
              Is there any waivers from the BA/4 year degree?
              You need one of the following:
              1) 4 yr degree
              or
              2) 2 yr degree or equivalent and either 3 yrs (continuous, no breaks in service) as a full time LEO with the same agency or 3 yrs active duty military.
              College must be an accredited institution.
              183 FBINA

Comment

Awesome...... i will have my ***. soon and have been in the Navy for 3.5 years, Thanks for the quick reply

Comment

How much does your current job performance affect the background check? Will they talk to other employees you work with?

Reason asking..I'm currently employed as a teacher with no LE experience whatsoever. I've tossed around the idea of taking the test and I've visited the local headquarters and completed a few ride alongs.

However, I work in a small town and I've had a hard time fitting in. While I do have a clean criminal record, I'm not well liked at the school by some admins, students and especially other teachers for personality reasons and some things I've done in my personal life that many have disagreed with (nothing illegal or highly immoral). My employment evaluations have been exemplary, but they focus strictly on the ability to teach and don't take into account relationships and attitudes within the workplace.

Comment

Does anyone have a current salary schedule for the ISP?

Also, can anyone post the current retirement percentages for years of service below the max of 26 years and 8 months?
                    SPSC 262

Comment

Originally posted by 10-Roger View Post
                      Does anyone have a current salary schedule for the ISP?
                      It's listed in your contract book.

Effective 07/01/07 for Troopers:
                      1st yr - $48,192
                      2nd yr - $50,496
                      3rd yr - $54, 432
                      4th yr - $56,988
                      5th yr - $59,652
                      6.5 yr - $62,472
                      8th yr - $65,412
                      10th yr - $69,240
                      12.5 yr - $72,648
                      15th yr - $76,116
                      17.5 yr - $79,704
                      20th yr - $83,556
                      21st yr - $84,156
                      22.5 yr - $88,140
                      25th yr - $92,340
                      Effective 01/01/08 each of the above will receive an additonal 3% increase. That will put top Trooper pay at $95,052.
                      For each rank add about another 6% on the previous rank. Ranks are Sgt, MSgt, Lt, and Captain.
                      Originally posted by 10-Roger View Post
                      Also, can anyone post the current retirement percentages for years of service below the max of 26 years and 8 months?
                      Figure 3% per year. Normal state retirement is 1.67% per year.
                      You can call or send an email to Personnel and they'll give you your numbers.

Are you in D-10?
                      Last edited by ISPCAPT; 07-08-2007, 09:16 PM.
                      183 FBINA

Comment

Hi guys. Thanks a lot for all this information (Especially ISPCPT). It was really helpful and cleared up a lot of questions I couldn't find anywhere else!
                        advance!
                        Last edited by LawDog99; 07-17-2007, 02:46 PM. Reason: No reason.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11972 users online. 543 members and 11429 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X