300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois State Police Questions???

Any ISP Troopers out there that can answer some questions???

What questions?
    183 FBINA

Comment

Fire away and I will answer what I can.

Comment

Questions???

Any rumors of another "fast track" academy for those with prior law enforcement experience? What retirement options are there? What are the chances I would get a district of choice if I got hired? And how's morale? I have been a police officer for 9 years and have contemplated the idea of coming back to Illinois...would love to work for, what I hear, is still a great agency!!! If anyone feels more comfortable sending me a private message, please feel free.

Thanks and Stay Safe,

Midwest 5-0

Comment

Any rumors of another "fast track" academy for those with prior law enforcement experience?
          Last time I talked to the academy cmdr, about a month ago, no chance for a fast track, none planned, and not being discussed.
          What retirement options are there?
          Retire at 80% after 26 yrs 8 mo. With accumulated sick time you can knock off another 10 months or so and leave earlier. At retirement you get paid for unused vacation/holiday time and 1/2 unused sick time (sick time is 60 days a yr plus 1 day a month accumulated). That payout check can be almost 1 yr salary lump sum. Mandatory retirement at age 60. Under the current contract a 25 yr Troop, with no OT, base salary is $95K+. Add minimal OT to that and a 25 yr Troop retiring this year would have an $80K+ retirement, free medical for life, and every yr after retirement starting at age 55 is a 3% COLA raise. Insurance on my wife, which is an HMO with $15 co-pay on meds and $100 co-pay on hospital, costs me $78/mo and free for me. When you retire you usually end up clearing equal to if not more than you were clearing when working because you don't have the deductions. No state income tax on retirement.
          Also have deferred comp available for those who want to get in that.
          There's about a 5% spread between ranks on pay and retirement is based on your high salary.
          A financial advisor will tell you our retirement, without the deferred comp, is like having $2 mil invested and living off the investment. Other state agencies all try to get into our retirement system because it's so much better than the regular state retirement. To compare regular state retirement they have to work 30 yrs to collect 50%.
          What are the chances I would get a district of choice if I got hired?
          Depends what your choice is. If your choice is one of the districts around Chicago then the chances are very good. If your choice is far southern IL then the chances aren't very good, if not impossible. Current Troops get to transfer first to their choices. New Troops then backfill those vacancies. District selection in the class is by class ranking so if there would happen to be an opening in a district you want it pays to study hard and get to the top of the class.
          And how's morale?
          Depends who you ask. As with any LEA the ISP has their share of people who are happiest when they're complaining. But alot of those will be the first to fight anyone who badmouths the agency. Many of those who complain about the ISP are those who have never really had a real job where the working conditions really sucked, where they had to put in a 12-14 hr day in the sun, heat, and dirt, come home too tired to hardly eat dinner and shower, and then know they'll have to do it all again the next day - all with the real possibility of being laid off, going on strike and out of work, and having to work until they're 65 yrs old and have nothing to show for it but social security and a $500/mo pension, unless their company folds up and then they don't have the pension. If you toss out the usual percentage of cry babies and whiners and talk to the real Troops who are doing the good, hard work everyday, they'll tell you a different story from the whiners. One way to measure satisfaction is how many leave the ISP to go to other agencies. The answer to that is it's extremely rare. I spent 27 yrs with the ISP, worked all over the state and got to know a lot of the folks statewide. I can only think of less than a handful who voluntarily left for other agencies. Of those I know 3 who regretted leaving. I haven't seen the other guy since he left. A few years ago before the salary was what it is and the oil companies were paying very well several of the hazmat guys left to go to the oil companies. They all came back within a couple of years. The grass wasn't greener on the other side of the fence.
          With the ISP everything is furnished except your underwear. Take home squads. Your shift begins when you climb in the squad and ends when you pull in your driveway. You can volunteer for details around the state and get involved in things that few local agencies ever get the chance to handle. Few agencies get to do presidential details. I worked details and met every president since Jimmy Carter, some of them several times. Worked cases all over the state and in quite a few other states. Worked with every one of the federal agencies including those that a lot of people have never heard of.
          If you get tired of patrol then there are other divisions within the ISP for the opportunity to transfer to, ie, investigations, internal, academy, admin, intel, forensics. Even within the uniform side there are options other than patrolling, ie, SWAT (full time), auto theft/identification, crash reconstruction, PIO, court/evidence, range, hazmat/MCS, Inspections & Audits, etc. The uniform side is the most visible but there's a whole lot more going on within the ISP than the guys/gals in the tan shirts. Even alot of the Troops don't have any idea of all what goes on within the agency.
          183 FBINA

Comment

Yep, we are VERY lucky to have someone on board like ISPCAPT...very lucky! I'm sold! So many great reasons for me and retirement is a HUGE one.

In my state, it's 25 year retirement and you get 54%. The big difference (other than the huge 26% difference) is the salary. My salary would be about a 1/3 less than an ISP trooper (that's with me being of rank here...like a LT or CPT against a base trooper in ISP) so with the 1/3 less and 26% less of that...it's a HUGE difference.

Starting salary is nearly $14,000 a year more plus a take home car, free gas with ISP. Man, that's huge. Outside is Chicago is the only area where it's more expensive to live than here so it's a big win, win. Plus statewide jurisdiction, lots of different opportunities and it's a win, win for me.

ISPCAPT is right, many officers aren't happy unless they are complaining. That happens everywhere but I've seen a lot of good stuff written and spoken about ISP that I don't see with other agencies. Great reputation with other departments. I really hope that things work out for me. It's a great opportunity that I dont want to miss.

Comment

No place is perfect and there's plenty of room for improvement with the ISP. For the past few years squad cars have really taken a hit with very few or none being purchased. The legislature just wouldn't pass the funding for new squads. This past year several hundred new squads came on line but even with those the fleet isn't where it should be and still a lot of high mileage squads on the road.
              There are other improvements that could be made but it boils down to lack of funding. IL isn't in great shape financially with somewhere around $7 Billion (with a B) in debt and no clear direction how to get out of the hole.
              Some people don't like those in charge. In all my years I've never seen it where everyone in the agency liked the all bosses all the time. Sometimes when people don't like the boss' program they don't realize the program is outside the control of the even the boss. Like all of us even the boss has a boss. The old timers had a saying "I was here when they got here and I'll be here when they leave."
              183 FBINA

Comment

My squad has 173,000 miles. I tell you what though, it runs and if it breaks, it gets fixed. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I have a job that I love to go to. A lot of people can't say that. Good luck to the prospective cadets, I hope to see you on the road in December.

Comment

Thanks Guys!!!

Thanks for the info guys! Here's my dilemma without all the B.S. I work in a large midwest city where morale is extremely low. We are just the opposite...we have a mass exodus of officers who are great cops, but completely fed up!!! I would love to make a move, but my better half has a great job that we can't afford to lose if I got shipped to northern Illinois. Central would be tolerable and 11 or 18 would be ideal. I was also hoping that another "fast track" would come around. I went through an 8 month academy and would rather not have to go through another 6 months, but the biggest issue is the assignment. A lot of demands from someone who hasn't applied yet huh! LOL Anyway, thanks for listening to me ramble...guess I have a lot to consider.

Thanks again guys. Still sounds like a great place to work!!!

Stay Safe,

Midwest 5-0

Comment

I'd love to have a take home car right now....that's a huge perk, especially with the cost of gas nowadays. Hopefully legislation will recognize that the squads they purchased weren't enough. It's not one of those glamorous items that gets top priority but probably should.

At the interview, I noticed that the cars I saw had laptops. Is this pretty standard nowadays? Also, how is the radio system upgrade going? And lastly...I read something about tasers and I was surprised to read that...does ISP use/issue tasers?

Thanks for the encouragement!

Comment

Jettroop:
                      Every road troop has a laptop issued to them when they leave the academy. Makes everything easier and frees up the radio. I am not sure how the radio system upgrade is going as we haven't switched yet in my district. I am looking forward to it though. You are correct about Tasers, we don't have them.
                      midwest5-0
                      A fast track class is probably not going to happen anytime soon. It is hard t find enough qualified candidates to make one worth while. The odds of going to 11 or 18 are pretty slim. My class sent three to 18 and two to 11 out of 50 some people. The problem is that at this point the transfer lists have filled back up. My class graduated very shortly behind another, so the list had been cleared and not filled back up. Most people come up north, it is just where the need is greater. You could always try to maintain your permanent residence closer to your wife's work and keep an apartment in your assigned district. Use your days off to go "home." It isn't ideal but it would only be temporary.

Comment

At the interview, I noticed that the cars I saw had laptops. Is this pretty standard nowadays?
                        As ILTPR said, all road Troops get laptops. Long range plan is to go paperless. I worked on the paperless crash reporting project and my district was the first in the state to have it. I don't know if it's gone statewide yet but my guys loved it. The only paper with it is the copy you give the involved parties. Everything else is done electronically. Plans were to already have electronic tickets and warnings but funding issues have delayed that.
                        The computer system works off cellular technology so you can pull it out of your squad, take it in the house or wherever and still have connection.

how is the radio system upgrade going?
                        I've heard there are some bugs but I haven't been involved in it for a year so don't know where it's at.

I read something about tasers and I was surprised to read that...does ISP use/issue tasers?
                        A few years ago we had a couple in each district across the state as a test project. At the end of the testing the tasers were pulled and eval was conducted. The deputy director hasn't made the decision to roll them out statewide. From the ones I had in my district and the use we got out of them at the state fair made me a believer if for no other reason than it keeps the Troops from having to get down and dirty and possibly injured themselves or the offender. Without the taser the next option is going hands on and that increases the risk of injury to both sides.
                        183 FBINA

Comment

This has me thinking and I think I will apply to ISP. I think the next Chicago test is around July or so. How long does the ISP process take? The CPD process sure is a long wait!

Comment

Originally posted by Illinois Edmond View Post
                            This has me thinking and I think I will apply to ISP. I think the next Chicago test is around July or so. How long does the ISP process take? The CPD process sure is a long wait!
                            The ISP process varies. No more than a year because after a year, you're out of the process. I would say test July/August/September time frame. There are no more classes for this year (well 114 in session and 115 coming up). After you test, you have one year to move up and out of the pool (selected for background processing).

As an officer of 12 years for a few agencies, I've shopped around where I want to go with my career. I didn't select ISP on a whim. I compared retirements, benefits, pay, etc. They are the only Illinois department I ranked in my top 10. (They were in my top 3 and the only one I applied for. And I'm from IL). I'm selective for a reason...my happiness, my family, career and retirement. All are important. It's a good choice for me but might not be for everyone. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by ISPCAPT View Post
                              I read something about tasers and I was surprised to read that...does ISP use/issue tasers?
                              A few years ago we had a couple in each district across the state as a test project. At the end of the testing the tasers were pulled and eval was conducted. The deputy director hasn't made the decision to roll them out statewide. From the ones I had in my district and the use we got out of them at the state fair made me a believer if for no other reason than it keeps the Troops from having to get down and dirty and possibly injured themselves or the offender. Without the taser the next option is going hands on and that increases the risk of injury to both sides.
                              My department has had tasers for a few years now. They aren't the end all be all but they are a great tool to add to our arsenal and yes, generally speaking allows officers to stay hands off and reduce injuries. I'm a huge fan of them. People around here know we're not going to shoot them with our guns...if they aren't armed. But when they see a dot from a taser, they comply. We've had a lot of tasings... A LOT. I'd venture to say...well..never mind. Lets say that were experts with tasers.

The media hypes up deaths that have occurred but I don't know of any taser deaths that occurred when the bad guy wasn't on some sort of illegal narcotics. Once the taser is off, pain is over. Instantly. You don't have that with the ASP or OC Spray..those are long last effects. Again, its not the end all, be all but it's a good tool. What is not covered by the media is the reduction in police shootings in use of force situations. It's not a traceable number whereas, this tasering saved someone's life from getting shot...but...cities that experience a high percentage of officer involved shootings saw a decrease when they went to using tasers. Less shootings mean less fatalities. I think Phoenix and Cincinnati were two cities that saw that decrease (don't quote me on that). Anyways, thats my personal rant on tasers. haha

Thanks again for the info!

Quick question.... do the laptops run NCIC, DMV records, etc?
                              Last edited by JetTroop; 05-05-2007, 03:24 PM. Reason: Added a question

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9895 users online. 479 members and 9416 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X