300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suburban PD VS CPD

What are some of the main differences with CPD VS suburban PD's? If someone were to apply to a PD in the Chicago area what are the pro and cons of CPD? And what are the Pros and Cons of a Suburban PD? Thanks.

This is a pretty loaded question. Are you trying to decide which is better for you? I’ll give you some perspective on suburban PD’s since I’ve worked for one. I can’t comment on CPD because I’ve never worked there.
    Every PD is run differently but we all do the same job. Suburbs around here are generally pretty small (except places like Aurora, Naperville) so opportunities for specialties are more scarce than they would be at CPD. Do your research on the village or town you’re applying for. Some towns are mostly residential, some have a lot of commercial districts, etc. Try and do a ride along with the specific department you’re considering to get a better overall picture of what the work is like.
    As far as pros and cons go, that varies by department. You can’t group all the suburbs together.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiguy27 View Post
      This is a pretty loaded question. Are you trying to decide which is better for you? I’ll give you some perspective on suburban PD’s since I’ve worked for one. I can’t comment on CPD because I’ve never worked there.
      Every PD is run differently but we all do the same job. Suburbs around here are generally pretty small (except places like Aurora, Naperville) so opportunities for specialties are more scarce than they would be at CPD. Do your research on the village or town you’re applying for. Some towns are mostly residential, some have a lot of commercial districts, etc. Try and do a ride along with the specific department you’re considering to get a better overall picture of what the work is like.
      As far as pros and cons go, that varies by department. You can’t group all the suburbs together.
      What about places like Evanston, or Summit?

Comment

• Chiguy27
        Chiguy27 commented
        Editing a comment
        What about them? They border the city so you’ll get some spill-over from Chicago. And Evanston it’s own animal.

• Chicago1991
        Chicago1991 commented
        Editing a comment
        In what way would you say Evanston's it's own animal?

You'll have a better chance getting hired in the burbs if you are from there. CPD will hire anyone with a pulse right now.

More money, less violence, more stringent hiring standards.

(Tested for Schaumburg; scored very highly, but didn't get picked up because I was a city boy with a few black eyes).
      Last edited by Saluki89; 06-15-2019, 04:43 AM.

Comment

• gksk8monk
        gksk8monk commented
        Editing a comment
        “More money, less violence, more stringent hiring standards.”

I’ll have to disagree, SOME suburbs pay as much or more than the city for equal time on the job. Many don’t. Pay with CPD is good. 68k after 1 year of hire, 76k after 2 years of hire and so on. Endless overtime opportunities depending on the district/unit.

Suburbs are absolutely more competitive though. Don’t expect to get hired unless you can score high on written tests, have plenty of relevant experience, and interview very well. Chicago area Suburban Police & Fire boards are picky as hell. And the other major point being you’re going to be competing with 100-200 applicants for sometimes as little as 1-2 positions with a single suburb. A lot of these towns don’t even hire immediately, they just want to keep an updated applicant list every few years.

Another thing to note is some places are picky even into your field training. There are certain suburbs notorious for high rates of failing police officers in field training. The city will pretty much do everything possible to keep you unless you’re incompetent or dishonest.

If you want a good chance of getting on the job, want good pay, and are willing to deal with the bull**** of living/working in the city, CPD is a good choice.
        Last edited by gksk8monk; 06-15-2019, 04:00 PM.

• Saluki89
        Saluki89 commented
        Editing a comment
        I heard about a guy who, on his very first day of field training in Schaumburg, got fired because of the way a traffic stop went. The driver happened to know somebody who knew somebody who complained.

Oh that's how I got hired....a pulse lol
      giphy.gif

Comment

Evanston and Summit are 2 very different places. They are both in Cook County though. That's where you'll see the difference in is in the other surrounding counties in the Chicago area versus suburbs in Cook County but you'll have small suburban pds that have more crime than a Northside of Chicago district for example and then you have some suburbs that its a lot of traffic enforcement, retail thefts, traffic control and domestics and the random bs that might spillover as was said. I'm in a busy district with CPD and I love it but it's not for everyone. The good thing about CPD is the vast amount of specialized units, divisions and wide range of calls and experience you'll get in a shorter period of time. Despite what most people think and say a lot of departments would be happy to have someone that has that experience.

There are a lot of great officers that know their stuff here and you could learn a lot. Everything is what YOU make it! We have daily PCIs (positive community interactions- what it's called here) we take a few minutes out of our day to have positive interactions with citizens and kids, play basketball, football, etc in some of the toughest neighborhoods in the country and people notice and I believe it makes a difference. Those are the same neighbors that will (believe it or not) come out of there homes and defend us or step in if ish hits the fan. It's a work in progress but that and co-workers get you through the day and all the chaos that breaks out and the backup is second to none!

Comment

Originally posted by southpaw1 View Post
          Evanston and Summit are 2 very different places. They are both in Cook County though. That's where you'll see the difference in is in the other surrounding counties in the Chicago area versus suburbs in Cook County but you'll have small suburban pds that have more crime than a Northside of Chicago district for example and then you have some suburbs that its a lot of traffic enforcement, retail thefts, traffic control and domestics and the random bs that might spillover as was said. I'm in a busy district with CPD and I love it but it's not for everyone. The good thing about CPD is the vast amount of specialized units, divisions and wide range of calls and experience you'll get in a shorter period of time. Despite what most people think and say a lot of departments would be happy to have someone that has that experience.

There are a lot of great officers that know their stuff here and you could learn a lot. Everything is what YOU make it! We have daily PCIs (positive community interactions- what it's called here) we take a few minutes out of our day to have positive interactions with citizens and kids, play basketball, football, etc in some of the toughest neighborhoods in the country and people notice and I believe it makes a difference. Those are the same neighbors that will (believe it or not) come out of there homes and defend us or step in if ish hits the fan. It's a work in progress but that and co-workers get you through the day and all the chaos that breaks out and the backup is second to none!
          What is the main difference between Suburban Cook County and the collar counties?

Comment

• southpaw1
            southpaw1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Without going too far off track I was just referencing the court system in general between counties.

What are you trying to get at here Chicago1991? Are you applying somewhere? Your questions are very vague and could be answered 1000 different ways.

Comment

If you really want to be a cop, start applying to departments. If you want to apply to Chicago and use it as a stepping stone to go elsewhere then do it, I know a few guys that have left after they got state certified. I worked for some places out west and in the city and the main difference is specialty units in the city and there are more opportunities to move around. Out in the burbs, the politics are horrible and if the administration doesn’t like you during probation, you’re f@cked. My advice, if you’re young, apply to agencies in states that border Illinois or even Texas.

Comment

I work for a Suburban PD, and this is my perspective....

The biggest factor in deciding to work for Chicago vs a Suburban Dept is residency. Obviously CPD Officers have to live in Chicago, however most suburban municipalities have a wide residency radius. Having options in terms of where to live is always a perk. Honestly speaking, to live in the city is just not desirable for a lot of Officers who work in the burbs. I lived in the city 90% of my life.....it's not as big of a deal for me.

Another factor is the current state of CPD's struggling pension system. CPD's pension is about 25% funded right now, and has more beneficiaries than active members. Simply speaking, there are more officers collecting pension benefits than officers contributing. This can be somewhat concerning when thinking long term. I advise you and anyone else looking to apply to a PD to research the municipality's overall financial health.

The most obvious factor when choosing CPD is the many specialized units to select from. It's astronomical in comparison. Most suburbs are limited.

There are many other factors when comparing, however these seem to be the most discussed.

Edited for typos.
              Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

• 10-Roger
                10-Roger commented
                Editing a comment
                How many of the pension systems (and there are tons) in Illinois law enforcement are funded at least 80% or more? 80% has always been the standard of health for a pension system. If not 80% or more then I would always have some concern about the future health of my contributions. And any system that allows a retired member to make as much or more than they were working just from the pension is always going to struggle.

https://www.bettergov.org/news/state...your-town-owe/
                Last edited by 10-Roger; 06-18-2019, 05:03 PM. Reason: Edited to add web-link

CPD has lots of issues right now the biggest steph nailed on the head. I'd say the biggest difference is CPD is bigger we do have more opportunities for special units but its still a very polictal game. If you want to deal with more bull**** in a few months then some suburban PDs deal with in a entire year come to CPD pays not bad at all. If you dont want to live in the city make equal or more pay but probably have a more strict highering process go to the burbs. Best of luck.

Comment

The Illinois pension system in general is all screwed up but it is what it is. We could complain and cry about it all day or we could start setting aside money in deferred comp, etc. on our own and plan around never seeing that and if we do...great. There's always going to be politics whether it's the city, suburbs or a small town in the middle of nowhere. The City of Chicago is huge and I'm from here so the residency thing isn't a big deal to me. You just have to weight it out there's pros and cons in both.

Comment

Originally posted by southpaw1 View Post
                  The Illinois pension system in general is all screwed up but it is what it is.
                  Suburban municipalities are not directly effected by "The Illinois pension system." Suburban Police and Fire pensions are individually funded. Springfield is attempting to consolidate all Suburban Police and Fire pensions, but so far unsuccessful.

I've been on both sides of the fence. I've worked for a suburban dept that was struggling to fund it's pension, and now I'm with a suburban dept that doesn't have those same issues. Peace of mind is an understatement.

These are things younger officers don't consider when getting sworn in, however as you age - you realize just how important your pension is. I was 22 when I was sworn in, and I'll be the first to admit I could careless about the pension or factors such as tier 1 vs tier 2. To anyone reading this.....take my advice....DON'T MAKE MY SAME MISTAKE. Research and plan accordingly.
                  Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

• southpaw1
                    southpaw1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh okay got you. I don't doubt they are trying to mess that up for you guys too. I don't have much of a choice right now so I'm just going along for the ride!

What would you say the difference of Policing is between towns like Highland Park, Deerfield, Wilmette, Oak Park, and Evanston VS Maywood, Riverdale, Summit, and North Chicago? Thanks

Comment

• ChiTownDet
                    ChiTownDet commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Like saying, "I'm hungry. What's the difference between a beef sandwich, chicken mcnuggets, and tofu?"

I feel like this topic is running in circles. Every city, every village, every agency is different with it's own culture. Each community has its own vibe.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6933 users online. 244 members and 6689 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X