300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice from the Pros

Anyone out there a former MP or Marine now a cop in the Chicago area? I have four months left on my enlistment and would like have something solid before its up. Problem is the testing process for all the Chicago area suburbs is drawn out, and requires applicants to appear at mandatory orientation briefs and POWER tests. Im on active duty in another state and wont be able to make these meetings.Any advice on how to overcome this dilemma, or just overall advice would be great.

Semper Fi Marine. As far as Chicago goes, they have not set a date for the next written test. Odds are your enlistment will be up before they offer another test. Right now they just started putting Feb'06 testers in the academy. Once that listis done there is a June'06, Aug'06, and Nov'06 list. I can't speak for the suburbs. And besides with Chicago once you take the written it is usually 18-24mos before you get to the academy. Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I knew it was going to be a long process, but didnt know it could take that long. I'll keep my head up though. As far as the academy, how does is compare to USMC boot camp? I mean, as far as how they treat you and act towards you, if you know what I mean?

Comment

Originally posted by AIDTW View Post
        Thanks for the help. I knew it was going to be a long process, but didnt know it could take that long. I'll keep my head up though. As far as the academy, how does is compare to USMC boot camp? I mean, as far as how they treat you and act towards you, if you know what I mean?
        I'm just an academy hopeful, but while I'm sure it is demanding both physically and mentally, after spending those 13 weeks, 24-7, with 4 Marine DI's in San Diego (or PI) in your face, I think any Marine can handle the academy...Again I am sure the academy is extremly challenging, but you do get to go home every night and see your family and get your weekends off...Marine Boot Camp, you are at the mercy of the DI's for 13 weeks, all day, all night....no phones...no TV...hell I didn't walk on carpet for 3 months...1 whole hour of free time, where you get to sit on your foot locker and write letters...you dress when they tell you to, u sleep when they tell u too, you wake up when they tell you too....u can have the biggest itch on your nose and God forbid if you scratch it...I got to call home for 5 min on X-mas eve, that was it...My first 4 weeks I was 100% certain I met the devil and his crew...6 weeks later I would have taken a bullet for any of my DI's ...and all of us Marines on this site can agree, everything they did was for a reason and worth it. They broke us down and rebuilt us into Marines...I'm sure the CPD instructors have the same mission, break you down and build you back into PO's.

Comment

First off they are two totally different schools of thought. What you learned in the Marine Corps will benefit you in the long run, but if you go in there with the attitude you will be in for a rude awakening. CPD is not the Marine Corps. The academy teaches you the law and how to enforce it while dealing with people day in and day out. Keep your discipline and motivation from the Marine Corps, but keep your mind open to what the academy teaches you.

Comment

Originally posted by cpdjarhead View Post
            First off they are two totally different schools of thought. What you learned in the Marine Corps will benefit you in the long run, but if you go in there with the attitude you will be in for a rude awakening. CPD is not the Marine Corps. The academy teaches you the law and how to enforce it while dealing with people day in and day out. Keep your discipline and motivation from the Marine Corps, but keep your mind open to what the academy teaches you.
            Point taken, well said.

Comment

Thanks guys. That helps alot. Semper Fi

Comment

Here's another question for those of you who are or have been in CPD's academy: I know that it's pretty much Mon-Fri days but do you ever have to work weekends in the academy? My BI told me I could expect to go in anytime after May or June. I've been invited to go to Vegas for a weekend in August but I didn't know if weekends in the Academy were fair game for any CPD assignments, special projects, etc. Basically, can I commit to a weekend in Vegas? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comment

Originally posted by LegacyCPD View Post
                  Here's another question for those of you who are or have been in CPD's academy: I know that it's pretty much Mon-Fri days but do you ever have to work weekends in the academy? My BI told me I could expect to go in anytime after May or June. I've been invited to go to Vegas for a weekend in August but I didn't know if weekends in the Academy were fair game for any CPD assignments, special projects, etc. Basically, can I commit to a weekend in Vegas? Thanks in advance for any replies.
                  Don't change your plans based upon something that may or may not happen.

Schedule the trip and worry about that later.

Usually it is weekends off, but you never know if that will change.

Comment

I agree. Plan the trip. Until you actually get your letter for the academy then worry about it. Like the above post said weekends are usually off unless there is a detail that the academy sends you on.

Comment

Thanks all!

Comment

I would plan the trip Legacy, but coming from an experienced Vegas guy back in my days....after a loooong week at the academy, your going to be pretty worn out in LV...then after a long Fri and Sat in Vegas and all day on a plane on Sun, it's going to be a looooong day Monday back at the academy...just drink lots of water and make sure you got an early flight back Sunday so u have time to go home and recover in peace.

Comment

I know, I was thinking the same thing. Sometimes a short vacation isn't really a vacation.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4646 users online. 269 members and 4377 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X