Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Senile?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Senile?

    I was talking to a retired CPD officer today. He's getting a little older so I think he is just talking crazy. He said the department frowns upon people that drink off duty. Does that make any sense or is he just getting senile?

  • #2
    Originally posted by CantWait View Post
    I was talking to a retired CPD officer today. He's getting a little older so I think he is just talking crazy. He said the department frowns upon people that drink off duty. Does that make any sense or is he just getting senile?
    I don't think any LE job in the country looks highly upon their officers drinking off duty, they aren't going to encourage it, but if you are over 21, they aren't going to punish you for doing it...it's legal. There is a difference between going out and having a few beers and a going out and getting ripped and closing the bar at 4am.

    Comment


    • #3
      CPD are not allowed to work (as 2nd jobs) in establishments that serve alcohol. CPD are not allowed to carry their firearm in bars. We were also told in the academy that there is a policy or general order (or something of the sort) that forbids CPD from being drunk, even off duty. It doesn't say you can't drink. I will have to ask where to find this rule. It's nothing to worry about. It's probably never enforced. It's just one of things to cover their asses.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by markdh720 View Post
        CPD are not allowed to work (as 2nd jobs) in establishments that serve alcohol. CPD are not allowed to carry their firearm in bars. We were also told in the academy that there is a policy or general order (or something of the sort) that forbids CPD from being drunk, even off duty. It doesn't say you can't drink. I will have to ask where to find this rule. It's nothing to worry about. It's probably never enforced. It's just one of things to cover their asses.
        Actually I can carry a weapon into a bar. It is discouraged to carry a firearm when the possibility exists that I will consume alcoholic beverages, there is no blanket prohibition.

        CPD can not work in second jobs where the primary purpose of the establishment is to serve alcohol,i.e. bars. One can work at a restaurant for example but not as a night club bouncer.
        Last edited by SeVere; 04-27-2007, 10:32 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Severe,
          You seem very knowledgeable. When in the academy, can a recruit work a part-time job, say 5-8pm M-F and weekend shifts, say as a lifeguard? I'll be guarding full time this summer (23 y/o F) until I HOPEFULLY get the call for the academy sometime this summer as I'm done with everything and my BI is done with me... I'd have to give it up completely I assume?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Goldylocks84 View Post
            Severe,
            You seem very knowledgeable. When in the academy, can a recruit work a part-time job, say 5-8pm M-F and weekend shifts, say as a lifeguard? I'll be guarding full time this summer (23 y/o F) until I HOPEFULLY get the call for the academy sometime this summer as I'm done with everything and my BI is done with me... I'd have to give it up completely I assume?
            Recruits cannot work secondary employment or go to school whilst in the academy. I would have to look into whether PPO's are even allowed secondary employment or school whilst on probation. I know for a fact that while in the academy there is no secondary employment or school.

            Comment


            • #7
              18 months from hire (off probation) before secondary employment is allowed & rule #15 refers to intoxication on or off duty. This topic is covered very well while attending the academy. Good luck.

              Comment


              • #8
                Goldy, even if you could (which you can't), why would you want to work THAT as a secondary job? I'm guessing the chance for injury is high being a lifeguard. Hurt yourself while on your "own time", well, you are SOL. Basically while in the Acad and on Probation, you want to be as LOW KEY as possible, this includes what you do for fun and excitement. Nothing can screw a young career more than blowing out a knee or ripping a shoulder while "off-duty".
                www.saveavet.org

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hmmm, would there even be a department if we weren't allowed to drink off duty? It would definately be alot smaller

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    That's very true Dog. Thanks so much for the responses. If all goes well, I'll be guarding for a bit then hopefully sometime this summer make it in... Looks like I have slow down with the intense rollerblading too Good luck to all!

                    Comment

                    MR300x250 Tablet

                    Collapse

                    What's Going On

                    Collapse

                    There are currently 4860 users online. 269 members and 4591 guests.

                    Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                    Welcome Ad

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X