300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35 Age Limit

This question is in regards to the 35 year old age limit that most towns have for applicants. Are there any towns/cities that would accept employment with Cook County Sheriffs Office (DOC) as an AGE exemption. Some Depts clearly state no corrections and others dont specify. I have read the state statute and its very vague. I feel like its a grey area that would be left up to that particular agency. I have no problem contacting depts for clarification, i was just curious if anyone has or knows someone to get around the age limit?

The suburban municipal departments are the only ones with the age limit of 35. From what I have seen, the other departments (county, state, Metra) will take you until 40. Some out of state will take you until 40 or older, as well.

Comment

So my question is specific to Cook County bc its my understanding that not all illinois county correctional officers are deputized. Its weird bc ccdoc are deputies working as correctional officers. The ILETSB does not consider ccdoc as law enforcement as it pertains to retirement. But the badges and id's say deputy. Anyways getting carried away. Heres the issue...

DesPlaines PD says 21-35 unless exempt by state statute. Below is the statute. Would a Deputy working as a CO be exempt? (yes when it comes down to it email the department in question) Im just curious if anyone had some insight.

(65 ILCS 5/10-2.1-6) (from Ch. 24, par. 10-2.1-6)

Sec. 10-2.1-6. Examination of applicants; disqualifications.
      (a) All applicants for a position in either the fire or police department of the municipality shall be under 35 years of age, shall be subject to an examination that shall be public, competitive, and open to all applicants (unless the council or board of trustees by ordinance limit applicants to electors of the municipality, county, state or nation) and shall be subject to reasonable limitations as to residence, health, habits, and moral character. The municipality may not charge or collect any fee from an applicant who has met all prequalification standards established by the municipality for any such position. With respect to a police department, a veteran shall be allowed to exceed the maximum age provision of this Section by the number of years served on active military duty, but by no more than 10 years of active military duty.
      (b) ....
      (c) ....
      (d) The age limitation in subsection (a) does not apply (i) to any person previously employed as a policeman or fireman in a regularly constituted police or fire department of (I) any municipality, regardless of whether the municipality is located in Illinois or in another state, or (II) a fire protection district whose obligations were assumed by a municipality under Section 21 of the Fire Protection District Act, (ii) to any person who has served a municipality as a regularly enrolled volunteer fireman for 5 years immediately preceding the time that municipality begins to use full time firemen to provide all or part of its fire protection service, or (iii) to any person who has served as an auxiliary police officer under Section 3.1-30-20 for at least 5 years and is under 40 years of age, (iv) to any person who has served as a deputy under Section 3-6008 of the Counties Code and otherwise meets necessary training requirements, or (v) to any person who has served as a sworn officer as a member of the Illinois Department of State Police

Comment

The "otherwise meets necessary training requirements" part may get you. If you have never completed a POLICE ACADEMY Basic Police Officer Training, they may not accept you. Most towns are bound by State Police - Fire Commission Rules, which is where the 35 yo age limit comes from. But if the municipality is Home Rule, they can extend the age limit for hiring. And places like the County, Water Rec, Metra are not "municipalities" so to speak, but are "municipal entities" or units of government and not bound by Police - Fire Commission Rules, that a town would have to adhere to.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
          The "otherwise meets necessary training requirements" part may get you. If you have never completed a POLICE ACADEMY Basic Police Officer Training, they may not accept you. Most towns are bound by State Police - Fire Commission Rules, which is where the 35 yo age limit comes from. But if the municipality is Home Rule, they can extend the age limit for hiring. And places like the County, Water Rec, Metra are not "municipalities" so to speak, but are "municipal entities" or units of government and not bound by Police - Fire Commission Rules, that a town would have to adhere to.
          What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Unfortunately the reason behind the age requirement is due to pension reasons. To answer your question about being a deputy, the certification is not recognized as being a sworn peace officer. Just like with the County, if you went into the Sheriff’s Police, you would have to go through the academy again. The only agencies that accept over the age of 35, are Sheriffs Depts and I believe State, if you have prior military experience.

Comment

• mikejones85
              mikejones85 commented
              Editing a comment
              chicago pd accepts until 40

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6804 users online. 224 members and 6580 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X