Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disqualified or not selected

Hi,

I know this is posted often but wanted to get some opinions I been appliying to over 20 departments . I got contacted from from a few departments to start background check. Like every one else I do not think my background is bad, no traffic situations, and never been arrested.(I know this is only a small portion of it but my record clean overall) First Department ended up cancelling my background(never started it) and they started background for another candidate they wanted to hire. Said I’ll be put back in list for future hiring needs

Second department completed the background contacted all references and work places. Recently got a letter saying “Upon review of your application, test results and/or other related information associated herewith, has determine that it must remove your name from further consideration for position of a Maywood police officer. Best wishes to your future endeavors”

There’s no reason why and really would like to get an idea if this is more of a dq or non select, I tried to reach out to my bi politely for info but don’t have my hopes up he’ll give me much.

i have another department running a background check and is finishing up currently, my question is do you think this seems like a dq that may be messing up future applications?
    Last edited by irobles3680; 02-12-2019, 03:05 PM.

Originally posted by irobles3680 View Post
    Hi,

I know this is posted often but wanted to get some opinions I been appliying to over 20 departments . I got contacted from from a few departments to start background check. Like every one else I do not think my background is bad, no traffic situations, and never been arrested.(I know this is only a small portion of it but my record clean overall) First Department ended up cancelling my background and starting background for another candidate they wanted to hire. Said I’ll be put back in list for future hiring needs

Second department completed the background contacted all references and work places. Recently got a letter saying “Upon review of your application, test results and/or other related information associated herewith, has determine that it must remove your name from further consideration for position of a Maywood police officer. Best wishes to your future endeavors”

There’s no reason why and really would like to get an idea if this is more of a dq or non select, I tried to reach out to my bi politely for info but don’t have my hopes up he’ll give me much.

i have another department running a background check and is finishing up currently, my question is do you think this seems like a dq that may be messing up future applications?
    Only YOU know your background...............and we can't perform a complete background check in order to give you a competent answer to your question.

Looks to me like there is SOMETHING in your background that is giving hiring agencies pause after they do THEIR background .

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thanks that’s what I fear, wish They can explain more in the letter. Hopefully I hear back from the bi from maywood. Wondering if it’s something time will heal

Comment

Just wanted to chime in here. Like Iowa said only you know whats in your background. Clearly something is coming up but again only you know what that is and how to correct it.

In my experience the biggest thing is lying. Everything needs to on the up and up. You should let them know before they find it because otherwise its going to look like you excluded it. Being truthful shows good character etc. So even though you did X,Y,or Z you told them and youve moved on with your life by doing BLANK. If X Y or Z was in the past year your probably going to give it some time so that the next time you can say yes I did X but that was 5 years ago and since that point ive..............done a b c.

The other thing is drugs especially for younger applicants. If you last used xanax 7 months ago or weed or whatever youre gonna get DQ because they view you as not ready. I havent seen anything less than 3 years and I think 5 is pretty common. So again its not the drugs themselves its the time since you used to show youve grown up, got married bought a house had a kid etc etc.

Remember also we ask pds near where you reside if they have any contact cards with your name. Any paper whatsoever. So if the police were just called to your house on a domestic theyre gonna pull that report.

At the end of the day time fixes most of the issues. If you really want to be the Police keep trying.

I will finish with every dept is different. Ive seen someone Dq because of too many jobs in 3 years but other depts wouldnt have a problem with it. Friend of mine who was already the Police got dq for 1 place but hired by his dream job under the same circumstances. So keep on trying
        Last edited by cowboys07; 02-13-2019, 01:34 AM.

Comment

it could be a previous employer bad mouthing you, if you have accumulated a lot of debt, immediate family that are known gang members, if you've had 8 differentjobs in the last year....there are a lot of things that can red flag you. Im not saying any one of the above things would be an automatic dq but it makes them question you. Try to be really objective about yourself, if you were in their shoes what might make them think twice about you. One more thing is social media accounts. If you have a lot of crazy things online thats a no brainer.

Comment

Appreciate the advice-

i was completely honest in the packet, drug asuge used weed twice when 13. I listed all the times I had contact with police such as minor fender benders, calling police to my home for hit and run on my car, falling off my motorcycle, biggest contact with police I had was public urination citation within 1 year ago and earning for window tints(removed tint), bi didn’t seem to take that very serious he just said if we didn’t hire cops for ****ing in public we wouldn’t have any.

social media I deleted a few years back, nothing crazy was posted on it, always knew I wanted to pursue le so knew better than to put stuff that is bad

No debt other than my car. Credit score over 700-what was odd is bi couldn’t find me in credit report, I did send him a credit report I got online to see if it helped though

i have a good job now I’m great standing, had about 5 jobs before my current one .I’ll be taking a huge pay cut in most departments I’ve applied to but it’s what I want to do

previous employers I did once leave UPS without notice that was when I was 18 told him that as well. I’m 23 now could be them.

family members aren’ gang members or non related to gang members. My younger bro at age 10 did get arrested for aggravated battery I believe(threw a metal pipe at another kid)

I do know they interview neighbors which is where I’m kinda leading is the issue. Only because one hit me car(tried to deny) caught him on camera so he may bad mouth me, another neighbor ran over my motorcycle and my mom caught her, made her pay for it. I then since moved out and st my current apartment complex I know my neighbors don’t like my bike parked in one of the parking spots(parking limited) but I always move my bike and park my car in same spot to only use up one spot but every time they always block my bike trying to park in the spot and then I can’t get out talk to my landlord and they told me to move the bike in a position where it takes up more space so no one can try to squeeze in. Since then very rarely do people try to squeeze in the spot.

think I should disclose that to investigators ahead of time? There’s never a section for it in the background packet about neighbors
            Last edited by irobles3680; 02-13-2019, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Appreciate the advice-

i was completely honest in the packet, drug asuge used weed twice when 13. I listed all the times I had contact with police such as minor fender benders, calling police to my home for hit and run on my car, falling off my motorcycle, biggest contact with police I had was public urination citation within 1 year ago and earning for window tints(removed tint), bi didn’t seem to take that very serious he just said if we didn’t hire cops for ****ing in public we wouldn’t have any.

social media I deleted a few years back, nothing crazy was posted on it, always knew I wanted to pursue le so knew better than to put stuff that is bad

No debt other than my car. Credit score over 700-what was odd is bi couldn’t find me in credit report, I did send him a credit report I got online to see if it helped though

i have a good job now I’m great standing, had about 5 jobs before my current one .I’ll be taking a huge pay cut in most departments I’ve applied to but it’s what I want to do

previous employers I did once leave UPS without notice that was when I was 18 told him that as well. I’m 23 now could be them.

family members aren’ gang members or non related to gang members. My younger bro at age 10 did get arrested for aggravated battery I believe(threw a metal pipe at another kid)

I do know they interview neighbors which is where I’m kinda leading is the issue. Only because one hit me car(tried to deny) caught him on camera so he may bad mouth me, another neighbor ran over my motorcycle and my mom caught her, made her pay for it. I then since moved out and st my current apartment complex I know my neighbors don’t like my bike parked in one of the parking spots(parking limited) but I always move my bike and park my car in same spot to only use up one spot but every time they always block my bike trying to park in the spot and then I can’t get out talk to my landlord and they told me to move the bike in a position where it takes up more space so no one can try to squeeze in. Since then very rarely do people try to squeeze in the spot.

think I should disclose that to investigators ahead of time? There’s never a section for it in the background packet about neighbors
              The BI may have laughed it off, but it might have been an issue for someone making the hiring decision.

Trust me, patrol officers understand the "when you gotta go, you gotta go" predicament...but you were obviously observed by someone (either a complainant or a police officer) and that IS a problem.

Nothing makes a supervisor happier than getting a phone call from an elderly lady complaining about his officer ****ing in her freshly-planted flower bed..

Comment

Dang, yea the bi said he don’t make the decision the board of commissioners do. Your right they may not like that specially since it’s very recent. I was on a bike ride and went to the bushes to go, a cop came to me after and asked what I was doing, told him straight up and he seemed cool too until his partner said give me your ID and I knew I was getting a citation. One department during interview asked if I had anything in background and I told them that and they kinda just laughed it off and said you won’t be ****ing in our bushes are you? Really hoping that’s not it but if it is you think time will heal?

Comment

Dang, yea the bi said he don’t make the decision the board of commissioners do. Your right they may not like that specially since it’s very recent. I was on a bike ride and went to the bushes to go, a cop came to me after and asked what I was doing, told him straight up and he seemed cool too until his partner said give me your ID and I knew I was getting a citation. One department during interview asked if I had anything in background and I told them that and they kinda just laughed it off and said you won’t be ****ing in our bushes are you? Really hoping that’s not it but if it is you think time will heal?
                  I don't know if this incident was the reason you weren't hired. There could be other reasons, or a combination of factors. It's also perfectly possible that you simply weren't among the most qualified candidates this time around. That being said, IF the decision had anything to do with the public urination citation then I'd say your chances would improve in a year or two. Some agencies require candidates to be incident-free for X number of years. On the other hand, you might get picked up by one of the other departments you applied at. It's definitely not something where I'd tell you to stop applying.

As a side note, under the circumstances you described I likely would not have cited you. I don't usually cite people for minor violations as long as they own up to it.

Comment

Problem with a public urination ticket is, to some people it looks like an indecent exposure. And the copper doing the BI may not have any problem with it, but the Chief, Police-Fire Comm., or Mayor may have. If that's it in your BI, just keep trying.

Comment

Thanks, appreciate it that’s what I think as well, commissioners maybe not have like it. I’m definitely still trying, actually just got called from another department broadview, they doing my poly and pysch first before background, interesting how they doing this before bi but Nonetheless grateful for opportunity

Comment

Move (there seems to be a lot going on with your neighbors). Try to avoid dumb conflicts with them because it's not going to help your case that's for sure. Stop "going" on trees lol. They might make light of it but make sure YOU don't (leave that for them to decide). Worst thing to do is laugh it off to your BI and then he/she doesn't think its funny (see what I'm saying).Yeah it's always a toss up with these hiring boards so it is what it is. Keep trying!

If you have enough good things to sell yourself on (of course I don't mean that literally) as a candidate when describing yourself those board interviews are your best bet to do that. Also tell your younger brother to stop throwing stuff and keep him out of trouble too! Haha. Good luck. I think the stars will eventually align for you.

Comment

Thanks man! I definitely plan on moving this year once my lease is up I need a garage lol.

Comment

• irobles3680
                            irobles3680 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks again! super anxious To find out what franklin park will say they said it’ll take about 3-4 week to finish and we are on the 4th one this week

• southpaw1
                            southpaw1 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            No problem. Good luck to you. Keep us posted.

• irobles3680
                            irobles3680 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            For sure, just Took the poly today for Broadview, and pysch is tomorrow and meeting with investigator to start another background . I felt pretty good about it but polygrapher didn’t say anything after he finished, so I assume he just gonna forward everything to the investigator

• irobles3680
                            irobles3680 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Just heard back from franklin park, bi wants me to come in for an interview Monday, told me to bring any certificates/awards I have that will make me stand out to commissioners(I think this means I at least passed the bi and just a matter of I’ll get selected) .

If Maywood wouldn’t hire you, that’s not a good sign...

Comment

• irobles3680
                            irobles3680 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hopefully not but Will definitely still keep trying, the village next door broadview contacted me for pysch and poly

Passed franklin park background, investigator said my background was very easy to do and nothing in it that should make commissioners decline me. He is forwarding my background to commissioners to see if they’ll make a contingent offer for April academy, they’re hiring 3 and background 12 candidates
                          Last edited by irobles3680; 02-25-2019, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• southpaw1
                            southpaw1 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Nice! Good for you man. That's progress for sure. Good luck.

• irobles3680
                            irobles3680 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks! Franklin park is my favorite department I tested in so hoping I get offer

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6347 users online. 265 members and 6082 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X