Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a class at the CPD Academy where we had Metro recruits mixed in and the Instructor was getting to know people and a guy who got hired by Chicago Heights PD was asked why he chose that PD...his answer "Chicago didn't want me" AWKWAARD lmao

Comment

Ill be honest, the academy is what you make of it. Maybe because I had 2 enlistments in the military, maybe its our generation (FACT), or maybe its my strive for success, or maybe its a combination of all of the above. I went to METRO, and found that program to be decent AS WELL AS THE RECRUIT CROP, but CPD was too much of a fun house. I will never judge a big city and their recruits, as I am from a major city on the eastern seaboard. However, you can see the difference in recruits from METRO/CPD. How is it METRO recruits from the city, CPS graduates, college graduates, fluent in foreign languages do not get hired by CPD. One instructor said to me its because they are under the gun to hire bodies and not officers. Maybe the city believes with those pay bumps, they can keep the younger generation with money instead of the Chicago suburbs where the pay is nice, where YOU DONT live in Chicago (usually a radius except places like Joliet, Kankakee, Evanston, Plainfield and Romeoville), and you do not have the call volume as a whole of a major city. At the CPD academy, There was a fundamental lack of discipline, and the instructors will tell you its because there are too many recruits in that building. I would say probably 800-900 in 2017/2018 a DAY in that building. Some instructors do not screw around and will blast a class. I felt there should have been a lot more of that. According to my friends who went to State, 2 of the TAC officers are Marine veterans who are former Drill instructors Now, I do not know if that's the norm, or just a coincidence that those State Troopers who are instructing were Marine D.I.'s .At my department, we had our guy go to Triton and he said it was the just as fundamentally lazy. He was prior law enforcement out west, and said Triton has become this way of late. I know of some neighboring departments with PTI graduates who said that place is a joke. SLEA I've heard great things about the facility, and instruction. One of my friends is a SLEA graduate and said it has fallen as of late. I believe our generation has changed that. If Navy boot camp, think about that for a second, was a lot tougher in terms of discipline, than that says something. I went to boot camp in 2005 when it was a lot more toned down than the old days. Of course, submarine school in Connecticut was really boot camp for me, you got your asses smoked every day.
      Last edited by 508NAVY; 03-02-2019, 12:30 PM.

Comment

I get what people are saying about the CPD Academy but we got in trouble for everything any random recruit did. Our lunch breaks were cut in half and we worked out for 30 min during our lunch breaks in full uniforms with duty belts on outside of getting smoked lol. We ran in 5 degrees for 3-5 miles to downtown or Pilsen any given day an hour before we started...they didn't care. We had to adjust. You have to do 3 POWER Tests in the academy also. I will say that 1976 building was definitely not designed for 800+ recruits so that is a HUGE FACTOR ask anyone. It's still a logistical nightmare for scheduling and overbooking rooms. They is a lot of in-service training all the time too so it's just way to crowded. Anyway they hired more people so progress is progress. Some of it falls on the class commanders and assistant class commanders to keep people in check and usually they are veterans or prior LE.

I'm no better than the next guy but I fit the criteria of people you said that don't get by CPD. I was hired as a Chicago native, CPS graduate, college degree holder and 2nd foreign language (not that strong but I probably would be able to relay something so I guess that could come in handy). I've also been hired in the suburbs before so I don't know why people are so hung up on what academy is better, etc. I'll put like this: It's a lot easier for an academy to be strict, have uniform training and produce well-trained competent Officers when you have only 30-60 recruits in an entire building like a few of these places so that is why I defend it. Also there have been about 3 IODs from our class alone so I could see why they might be under pressure to tone it down a little bit .

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12359 users online. 549 members and 11810 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X