300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Illinois Police Academy

SLEA, PTI, ISP, Cook County, Chicago, Chicago Metro, Macon or Southwestern.

I found the training at SLEA good. Best academy is whichever one you get to go to for certification.

Comment

ISP it’s not even close in my opinion.

Comment

Best academy in terms of....? We’ve had recruits come out of SLEA and didn’t know jack. Metro rushes people through and they come out not knowing a lot. CPD’s actual Academy doesn’t have to be as long as it is because there is a LOT of down time. Personally I’ve seen the guys come out of Triton & ISP pretty squared away. Everyone else just wants to pass, pass, pass and don’t care how.

Comment

I agree the CPD Academy can be shortened it's averaging 28-30 weeks! Not even kidding. People can say what they want but there are a lot of great down to earth instructors there who you will appreciate later and you earn everything. Nothing is handed to you. You earn the right to wear the uniform and continue to wear it and you earn every tool on your duty belt as you progress through.

It might not be the greatest building, it's overcrowded, parking sucks and it's a climate control nightmare lol but I wouldn't have it any other way. It's an honor and the daily struggle is a realistic one because we learn to work as a team and do more with less resources and figure things out as we go along. Also the offsite tactical training unit is second to none. Those guys are the real deal!

Comment

Metro 100%! Southpaw1 you back in the game now?

Comment

Originally posted by littleguy View Post
              Metro 100%! Southpaw1 you back in the game now?
              Yes Sir! Have been for a little while now.

Comment

Originally posted by southpaw1 View Post
                I agree the CPD Academy can be shortened it's averaging 28-30 weeks! Not even kidding. People can say what they want but there are a lot of great down to earth instructors there who you will appreciate later and you earn everything. Nothing is handed to you. You earn the right to wear the uniform and continue to wear it and you earn every tool on your duty belt as you progress through!
                Im gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you here...yeah.

Yes, plenty is handed to you and CPD’s Academy is one of the worst for it. I personally saw people who failed the final “CPD POWER Test” and magically “passed” as did I see people who couldn’t meet the qualification time for the obstacle course who again, magically “passed.” There was a black guy in my section who would consistently be racist AF and said flat out that the black community was misunderstood and that “he would go on whites harder” and no one ever said boo to the guy and he was passed and given a star. How about Special Ed’s own kid who couldn’t pass the Power test for the life of him so the test ended up magically suspended until he graduated and then magically it was re-instated?

CPD basically has 30 recruits per class section and yet 99.999% of the time, every single person passes. Yet Academies like ISP can go in with 60-80 a class and sometimes 25/30% will fail due to physical fitness, tests, qualifications, etc... CPD was even called out for it in the DOJ report that they rarely fail anyone. When every other Academy in the state & country will fail people for miscellaneous reasons, everyone passes CPD. That’s an eye perk on its own...

Jeez, there was a guy in my section who downright refused to iron his uniform and chose to come in every day looking like he rolled out of a garbage truck. Complete embarrassment. HE was passed without question and not even wrote up or punished for the BS because all they care about is numbers.

I don’t mean to call you out on it specifically, but save the gung-ho Academy motivation for elsewhere. I’m pretty sure anyone who is or was CPD here is nodding in agreement right now that the “earned not given” quote by Chicago is at minimum, laughable.

Comment

Hey that's YOUR opinion and I gave you mine. I can't comment on your experiences several years ago but things have changed. Lucky to have a great Supervising Sgt that doesn't take any bs and a tough HRI too. People are being held accountable for the dumb/ minor stuff and sometimes the whole academy will pay for the actions of a few. Yes they have fired people for the more serious stuff too. There are inspections and those people and sometimes the whole classes pay for infractions. I never said it is perfect so it is what is. I control what I can control and the rest is above my pay grade.

They tell you from the beginning: "If you don't like it...the door is right over there". Lol. You mess up any test and you're back in sweats so that's what I mean by the earning the right to wear the uniform, etc. Anyway like I said this is my take on it and there's a lot of candidates waiting for that door or opportunity to open so we don't take it for granted and I'm not going to discourage someone from applying or taking the job because we have enough people doing that.

Comment

The best academy is the one that you go to and pass and become certified.

Nowadays many academies are full of weak sauce, for various reasons that those who are cops already know. One reason is you don't have PD's running their own academies (CPD, ISP excluded). So depts are paying for attendees to go to these academies, who are reimbursed by the state. So in essence, some of these academies have a financial reason for wanting to keep recruits in seats. My academy class alone was an almost $250K check to SLEA.

Get certified, pass field training, and learn how to be the police. The great thing about this job is that it takes doing the job to learn how to the job. Like someone here said, it doesn't take a 28 week academy to learn how to be the police. Personally, and this is just my opinion. I think anywhere from a 12 week to 20 week academy is more than sufficient for what you will learn at most academies. For the most part we are all taught mostly the same topics and lessons and tactics. It just how long do you want to set aside in the academy for things that they will learn and polish when they are out working.... But I admit, I am not director of the police board...I'm just a guy.

Comment

Manila is somewhere chuckling while reading these comments.
                      Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

Hahaha. Did he finally retire?

Comment

Originally posted by southpaw1 View Post
                          Hahaha. Did he finally retire?
                          I visited several years ago and he was still there. It blew my mind how he remembered me. He easily has thousands of recruits under his belt. Great guy.
                          Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

anybody has any info about cook county sheriffs police academy? im about to be sent there. any info is appreciated. thanks

Comment

Here's my take on the Academies. The actual Chicago Academy, I believe their instructors are under the gun to pass everyone. My class had 2 people that "miraculously" passed the range and obstacle course at 0700 before classes started. I don't think much has changed there. The Metro Class, IMHO is the best academy going for suburban recruits from suburbs close in to Chicago. You will network with people that you will have contact with your whole career. My son went through Metro and I saw a real difference in his attitude and demeanor when he got out. At the very least, you know every instructor there worked a beat car or a unit for a number of years, some in places you couldn't imagine. My son's agency almost exclusively send their recruits to Metro. When my son was in there, the instructors would say, "At least you guys aren't the Aviation class." LOL

I was in the CCSPD Academy going on 40 years ago. It wasn't bad then, but the talent in the Sheriff's Dept has taken a nosedive over the years. Having corrections and court service guys teaching Police Officers puts them behind the 8 ball. Even having actual Sheriff's Police teaching isn't that great, as all that Dept. is is a traffic stop agency. Gone are the old days of "One bar fight, one Sheriff's copper." A bunch of yelling and doing drills non stop doesn't make a good P/O. And face it, no matter what you hear, every Sheriff's copper doesn't "work Ford Heights," which is 1500 population and half the houses abandoned. When I was in there, the battle cry was "I worked Burbank."

ISP, from what I got from people that attended is like a military boot camp. Good or bad? Don't know.

Used to be that PTI was "college for the Police." Not very strict, but taught you the basics, leaving (which every academy does) actually learning the job to your FTO and experiences on the street.

In my lifetime I attended the CCSPD, Chicago Metro and Chicago Academies. Was in, I believe the second or third class to take the State Cert Test. All these academies HAVE to teach a State mandated course, which has everything you need to take the State Cert test.

Back then, there were only CPD, CCSPD, PTI and ISP Academies in the State of Ill.

What I will say is no matter where you go, KEEP UP WITH YOUR NOTEBOOK. It will be invaluable for studying for the State Test, which you MUST pass to graduate, get out, and actually start your life as a Police Officer.
                              Last edited by ChiTownDet; 03-01-2019, 07:31 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6625 users online. 254 members and 6371 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X