300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPD Academy $$$$$$$$$

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on borrowing money during the academy.....I have heard over and over how expensive it will be the first 6 months......any help is much appreciated.....

I'm NOT CPD, but I did go to CPD Acad. so I know from talking to some Chicago guys what the deal is. I'm sure some CPD will chime in shortly and will know better than me anyway... First off, buying all your gear, etc. in not THAT expensive that you have to take out a small loan like some people think. You are being PAID while in the Acad. DO NOT do their "Credit Union" scam, I know some guys that did and the interest rate is nuts. Basically, get yourself a credit card with 0% or a low APR. If you have halfway decent credit this is not tough. Charge all your big ticket items and pay it off over a couple months period. Paying 20 or 30 bucks in interest rates is not going to kill you. Getting scammed into taking some $5000 loan from the Credit Union with a high APR that your locked into is a terrible idea. All your uniforms and gear should cost under $3000 or so, so just pay it off over a couple months, not really that big of a deal.
    www.saveavet.org

Comment

What about if you have some of the stuff already or by it before your into the academy? If for example you buy your gun, holster, belt, cuffs, and all that before hand is that ok? Obviously it would be what ever is approved by them for use. Would they allow that or do you have to buy from them?

Comment

Sorry for the long post in advance........
        I agree with avoiding the credit union loan if you can. Ideally you should avoid putting it all on your credit cards too but not everyone's got the cash. Be advised though that the average recruit spends at least four grand. Three grand is bare essentials and I'm not sure if that's even enough.

Your weapon will be four to eight hundred depending what you get and where you get it. The khakis will be a few hundred especially if you want to get a couple extra shirts and pants. Gym package is a couple hundred plus new running and gym shoes and other equipment. Leather can be a couple hundred. The winter coat is $150ish. Riot helmet is $186. The graduation package is almost nine(?) hundred. You'll need blue shirts and cargo pants if you want them so figure a couple hundred more. Boots when you graduate. Outer vest carriers are seventy-five bucks each. You'll need the OC spray and wooden baton at about thirty to forty combined. Don't forget you'll be unofficially expected to donate for every charity and drive that comes up (they are all for good causes though so you should donate even if you weren't expected to). The costs I list are approximate but believe me that it will all add up quickly

I'm sure I'm missing something but at least you get your vest for free. And odds are you will get at least one uniform allowance check while you're there. If you are really confident you will get in, talk to someone who has been in recently to find out exactly what you can buy in advance because you don't actually buy from the city, but rather from outside establishments with approved equipment.

Graduating the academy: priceless....wait, no. It's actually it's $42K/year.
        Last edited by markdh720; 04-26-2007, 10:13 AM.

Comment

If you already owned a pistol that was approved for carry, could you just use that instead of buying a new pistol?

Comment

WOW! $4,000? Do they pay you back? 99% of my gear is paid for (minus undershirts, socks and underwear or we'd be at 100%).

I can't imagine that...

Comment

CPD doesn't give anything except the body armor and most people end up paying to upgrade that. If you have a weapon that is approved by the department already I believe you can use that. I don't see why not. As far as the Credit Union loan, I got it and have no complaints about it. The interest rate isn't bad. I barrowed $2500 but I think that you can get up to $10000 if you want. You're stuff, with weapon, academy gear, blues, etc. will end up around $4000. You do get the unform allowance while you are a recruit though so that helps a little.

Comment

Thanks for all the information guys.

Comment

What level body armor do they give you? I already have a IIIA vest and I doubt that they'd give me something like that.

Comment

FOP runs a uniform sale about 2-3 times a year. These are uniforms that guys sell that don't fit, ect. a lot are in good shape (things like a blouse, wool hat, wool pants don't get worn that often). If the stuff you get there are a little worn, (shirts, pants), wear them when you get to a District. As long as they aren't torn up, no one will say anything about them. Less new stuff you have to lay out $$ for. Call FOP #7 and ask when the next one is...Just looked, they had one on 18 Apr..
                    Last edited by ChiTownDet; 04-26-2007, 10:21 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4517 users online. 316 members and 4201 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X