300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local PD Hiring Question

Hi, I was wondering where local PD's go for academy? My understanding is the two main ones are U of I and state police in Springfield for locals. Also, what is PT like at the academy? I tested at a local department a year ago for corrections and have not heard anything. My goal is to be patrol. My problem is a year ago I got shin splints really bad. I think it was because I was running everyday....I have been slowly working through this problem and I am up to one mile 3 times a week. My question is if I can work up to 1.5-2 miles three times a week would that be sufficient for academy pt? I weight lift and exercise regularly so push ups, situps, pull ups, and weights are not a problem. I could pass a power test right now I am just afraid of failing out of academy because of running.
    Thanks

aim for 2 miles in 18mins. If you can do that you'll be fine. Good luck

Comment

PT at the academy for us focused more on interval training than sheer cardio. I would imagine you'd be fine. The runs we did weren't sprints, they were endurance trials.

Comment

There are more than two academies. There isn’t a “main” one either. Springfield is the Academy where ISP trains and they also do metro / suburban classes. CPD has their Academy in Chicago where CPD trains and they also do Metro / surburban classes. There is another one in Maywood at Triton College where the Cook County Sheriff’s Police get trained and they too do metro / surburban classes. Then you have other academies like SLEA, PTI, etc that do classes.

PT will differ depending on the Academy. If you go to Springfield, it will be hard. Maywood / Triton is hard as well. I personally went through CPD’s Academy because that’s where I started and I thought it was a joke. I heard the PT at PTI and SLEA was weak too.

Shin splints can be caused by running too much but a major factor in them are your shoes. Go to a store that specializes in running shoes and make sure you are sized properly and wearing the right style shoe. Depending on the way you walk / run, if you are flat-footed, etc are all major factors. Also, make sure you are stretching afterward. Look up stretches for shin splints and make sure you do them after your runs. They should be focusing on your tibia, calves, etc.

Comment

Just to add on...with Chicago PD's Academy some HRIs (home room instructors) love running and some not so much but I can say we did a lot of running on average 3 miles some days 4 miles so it varies. Don't worry about it. It will get easier with time and just put some effort and you'll be alright. Also Macon County Law Enforcement Training Center is the newest academy that just opened recently in Decatur, Illinois.
          Last edited by southpaw1; 01-13-2019, 03:00 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10380 users online. 444 members and 9936 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X