300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36 too Old?

Is anyone else having trouble finding PDs that accept applicants over 35? I know Deputy positioins there is no age max. Does anyone know of others?

Thanks!!

Come to Arizona.

36 is just getting warmed up. I've seen retired Colonels @ 55 yoa graduate the academy. In my class one of the grads was 54. He had spent some 25 +/-years in the USAF and retired as a 1st Shirt plus he spent another 12 or so as a D.O.. Our class started with 32 kay-dettes and graduated 11. Larry was one of the 11.

The PT was a little tough for some, but at 36 you shouldn't have any trouble. The whole class paced Larry through his final P/T run. He nearly died but we got him through it with nearly a minute to spare. :-) We used to do Cooper's Standards. Now it's the POPAT.

Law enforcement recruit three kinds of people in AZ. Former LEO, former military and college grads. Not necessarily in that order but they seem to be the top three.

Arizona is God's vacation spot, almost the Promised Land.

Old Dog
    Last edited by Old Dog; 04-19-2007, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Militarymuscle
      Is anyone else having trouble finding PDs that accept applicants over 35? I know Deputy positioins there is no age max. Does anyone know of others?

Thanks!!
      Chicago has an age limit of 40.

Comment

You basically have limited options at this point. County sheriff departments and chicago. After you get on for a year then you can test anywhere else you want. Most suburbs are 34 at the time of application and some have 35. good luck!

Comment

There was a guy in my academy class that was 46 and several others around 40. You might want to look into the state police.

Comment

Originally posted by SeVere
            Chicago has an age limit of 40.
            I know they said at our POWER test that the limit was 39 to start the academy...Didn't Chicago hire a 60 yr old lady like 10 years ago? Made all the papers...SNL even did a bit on her with Molly Shannon kicking the crap out of all the guys in the academy!

Comment

Originally posted by 0311Grunt
              I know they said at our POWER test that the limit was 39 to start the academy...Didn't Chicago hire a 60 yr old lady like 10 years ago? Made all the papers...SNL even did a bit on her with Molly Shannon kicking the crap out of all the guys in the academy!
              I had people in their late 50's in my class. Forty is the limit per the recruitment page and I believe ordinance.

Comment

Cook County has no age limit I know of however, so you can get in corrections and maybe get over to streets in 3-5 if lucky. Wisconsin I believe is 40 cut off. Most places if you check websites, will give you age cut offs, and even then may be lax on that enforcement.

Comment

Like old dog said...come to AZ. There is no cutoff and you are vested in 10 years. CPD has a cutoff of 40, most burbs have a cutoff of 35 unless you have prior certified LE, and of course Uncle Sam's cutoff is 37. Besides in AZ when we test...we hire!!!!! We dont test just to create an eligibility list that may or may involve hiring. We also have a 20 year pension, most places have a shift differential and issue ALL equipment except for underwear. We also have a process that will waive the academy if you are previously certified.....and on Thanksgiving you can hang by the pool and slam beers after the turley and football are done.
                  You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

Originally posted by cityblusuit
                    Like old dog said...come to AZ. There is no cutoff and you are vested in 10 years. CPD has a cutoff of 40, most burbs have a cutoff of 35 unless you have prior certified LE, and of course Uncle Sam's cutoff is 37. Besides in AZ when we test...we hire!!!!! We dont test just to create an eligibility list that may or may involve hiring. We also have a 20 year pension, most places have a shift differential and issue ALL equipment except for underwear. We also have a process that will waive the academy if you are previously certified.....and on Thanksgiving you can hang by the pool and slam beers after the turley and football are done.

WHAT??!!?!!? NO UNDERWEAR!!!!!!!! meh...I'm stayin in Chicago

Comment

Did I also mention that on average we top out after 7 years. and we have lots opportunities for OVERTIME...not special employment at straight time???

Comment

SOme departments have a "Home Rule" IE:Burbank, IL meaning if you can pass all the tests you can be hired. I have a friend who is 37 and was hired.

Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by cityblusuit
                          Did I also mention that on average we top out after 7 years. and we have lots opportunities for OVERTIME...not special employment at straight time???

City, you and I have talked back and forth in threads and through PM's....lemme tell you....you are more convincing than an Army recruiter! lol...

Only issue I have is I'm undecided as to who to apply for out there. I like DPS and Pinal County Sheriff's Office.....but with so many of the 'suburban' depts hiring (Glendale, etc.)....I'm torn.

Comment

Originally posted by TOPPED_OUT
                            City, you and I have talked back and forth in threads and through PM's....lemme tell you....you are more convincing than an Army recruiter! lol...

Only issue I have is I'm undecided as to who to apply for out there. I like DPS and Pinal County Sheriff's Office.....but with so many of the 'suburban' depts hiring (Glendale, etc.)....I'm torn.
                            The diff between me and an army recruiter is that I am not lying just to get you in. There is no real diff between the agencies except the clientele they serve.....the certification and the academy is virtually the same and transferrable.

To put it bluntly.....pick one....if you dont like it after a year transfer laterally.....did I mention the pensions are transferable between the PD's and the FD's since they all use the same system......

Comment

I guess Equal Oppurtunity Employment doesn't protect you from age discrimmination?
                              One Shot, One Kill. Anything else is just pu(ff)y!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4610 users online. 275 members and 4335 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X