300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPD process- start to finish

I am very interested in applying for CPD but I live in Florida. After I take the initial test and go back to FL, how long would it be until the next step of the process? Would recruiters be willing to schedule tests and evaluations so that I would be able to knock out everything in a week or so, instead of having to make many trips back and fourth every few weeks or so. Also what kind of time frame would I be looking at for getting a confirmed date to know if I got hired or not, and when the academy would be starting.

I know that there is no positive answer to these questions, but I would really like to get just a basic idea of what I would be looking at.

The overall process takes about a year, once the ball gets rolling. Unfortunately there is no real set schedule to it. It goes by groups. There's no way that you could do it all in a week either I'm afraid. You get some notice before most of the steps though so you may be able to make arrangments before each. Once you finish the final step, 2nd power test, you will have around three weeks before you start the academy. I can't remember when but at some point before the academy you have to have a Chicago address. Hope this helps, good luck. Are you originaly from Chicago?

Comment

CPD process is 1.5 to 3 years...They will not make any favors to anyone living out of state as far as the testing goes, they have plenty of in state and in city people to choose from if people dont want to travel for the other tests...You will have to come into Chicago 6 times...written...1st fitness test....drug test....written psych....oral psych....medical.....final power...there is also a meeting with a backgound investigator, if you do not live in IL, u may have to come in for that too, I dont know...so maybe 7 visits. the drug and written psych for me was back to back weekends for me. Good news is you will recieive your oral and Medical dates in plenty of time to make arragement...crappy thing is the oral takes 20 minutes, so it may be an in and out tix....medical takes a few hours...Good luck!!!
      Last edited by 0311Grunt; 04-15-2007, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Unless you're set on CPD, try other departments with expeditied processing for out of towners. MPDC, Dallas, NYPD, FHP, LVMPD, LAPD etc all have programs for out of towners.

Comment

I love the chicago area and have alot of family that lives there, but yes I am really wanting to get out of florida as well... Funny you mention those depts, as DC is a close second for me, but I will admit that I have fallen in love with the CPD

Comment

Originally posted by Floridaboy
            I love the chicago area and have alot of family that lives there, but yes I am really wanting to get out of florida as well... Funny you mention those depts, as DC is a close second for me, but I will admit that I have fallen in love with the CPD
            I am not being sarcastic or demeaning in any way but why have you fallen in love with CPD? Can you please just put a few reasons down?

Comment

Originally posted by Floridaboy
              Funny you mention those depts, as DC is a close second for me, but I will admit that I have fallen in love with the CPD
              It's easy to fall in love with CPD!

You should apply to MPDC and see what happens. The process is only 3-6 months too. If you apply to both(CPD and MPDC) you may be lucky enough to be hired by one, the other or both!

Comment

Originally posted by CPDjock
                It's easy to fall in love with CPD!
                Why and what about CPD do you love?

I want to see what people who have never worked about CPD think is so great about it that any other big police department could not provide.

Comment

I have never worked for CPD. However, since I was a little kid I'd always wanted to be a Chicago Police Officer. I have such a deep respect for the manner and gracefulness that CPD has handled all the highs and lows of their history. I respect the officers that work in the 3rd largest city in the US greatly because if you can police in Chicago you can police anywhere. I admire the closeness of such a large department and I will always think of CPD as top-notch agency!

Two eaches own...with thier opinions about CPD. However, for me....

I will ALWAYS give CPD a thumbs up!

Comment

I have never worked for CPD. However, since I was a little kid I'd always wanted to be a Chicago Police Officer. I have such a deep respect for the manner and gracefulness that CPD has handled all the highs and lows of their history. I respect the officers that work in the 3rd largest city in the US greatly because if you can police in Chicago you can police anywhere. I admire the closeness of such a large department and I will always think of CPD as top-notch agency!

I wouldn't give it a thumbs down, but I would say that a lot of other departments offer the same thing CPD does.

In fact I am quite content; however, I am always interested in seeing other's opinions looking from the outside in.

Comment

I love being the CPD. Yes, there are other departments out there with more sophisticated equipment in there squad cars. There are other departments that offer wonderful certifications for their officers. I fully understand the advantages of working for some other departments.

However, there is a certain pride that exists with our department that's really hard to match elsewhere. It's a certain camaraderie that's hard to explain to others outside of the department. Maybe it's because when you look at a fellow brother, and you know he's been through the wars at 61st/Racine, 79th/Cottage Grove, or Chicago Ave./Homan and he's run down the same dark alleys, been in similar shoot outs with people with automatic weapons, and have attended the same CPD wakes/funerals, there's a certain respect we have for each other. We all send our kids to the same schools, and we're just a very tight knit group.

I have many friends who work with various suburban departments, and they are all quite happy with the camaraderie that exists within their departments, too; but, it's just not quite the same. I myself worked for another department before I was the CPD, and it just wasn't the same. Don't get me wrong- the camaraderie was there, but just not to the level it is here.

For the record, our Detectives are the very best in the business. You won't find better Detectives anywhere. They truly are a fabulous group. I can't say enough about them. Similarly, to be fortunate enough to work on a Tact Team is an honor. And their are some great patrolmen out there. People who have been working the same streets for years, and their experience is unmatched. It's not a coincidance that CPD officers are helping out other academies because of their experiences here in the City. There experiences are truly one of a kind.

It's just a great department. I don't care what scandals are down the road, or how poorly the media thinks of us. We developed thick skin a long time ago- Like the first day of the academy. Like I said before, there are some great suburban departments and sheriff's departments out there, but being the CPD is truly the best.

Be Safe Out There and Good Luck With Your Career,

cpd007

Comment

I have always had some very deep respect for the CPD, and love the city of chicago. I have alot of family that live in the area, and earlier this year myself and two of my friends who are also interested in the cpd went up to chicago and did a few ride alongs and had a blast. The technology might be lacking, but I still saw them as my dream law enforcement job.

Comment

Hey Floridaboy, the CPD was always my dream, too. I grew up watching Hill Street Blues, and the day I graduated was one of the greatest days of my life. That was a few years ago, but I'll never forget that day at Navy Pier. Hopefully, you'll have the same positive experiences someday.

Keep one thing in mind- it's really expensive to live in this city. Similarly, you'll need some cash for your equipment/uniforms when you start the academy. It can get really expensive, but if you have enough time to save up, then you'll be o.k. I know the hiring process is really long, but if you're lucky enough to get selected, it's the opportunity of a lifetime. The politics can be overwhelming at times, but it's still a great gig. If you're a good police officer and you work hard, you will stand out. It may take you a little longer to make certain units if you don't have that phone call, but once you do make a unit- you'll know that you earned it ALL ON YOUR OWN. That's a sense of accomplishment that nobody can take away from you. There's nothing like earning something all on your own to be proud of.

Good Luck With Everything,

cpd007

Comment

I believe it is the 2nd largest police academy.

I think part of it is the city itself. Chicago is a great town to call home.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5303 users online. 277 members and 5026 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X