Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is the academy for suburbs located?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the academy for suburbs located?

Hey guys,

I was wondering where the academy is for the west suburbs? In Campaign or somewhere else! Also, I wanted to know how long it is, is it 6 Months like the CPD? Thanks, any info would be helpful I decided to try testing in the surburbs because I am tired of waiting for the the CPD and the process is way to long to put my life on hold. My medical on the 26 of April and also I am a Feb 2006 tester.
    I guess I will pick when the time comes.

Suburbs can use any of the academies. I went to CPD as an example, but they have a "Metro Class" for the 'Burbs. It was 14 weeks. 'Burbs can use CPD, Cook County, C.O.D., PTI, SEALA (I think that is the acronym), I'm sure there is one or two more I forgot. Usual acad length is 10-14 weeks. CPD's takes so long because they take ALOT more time to cover topics that for 'Burb classes are condensed. As an example, when I went to CPD, Intro to Firearms was 4 hours for us, for regular CPD it was like 12 hours or something insane. Also regular CPD has to cover all their City Ord's, etc. that obviously the 'Burbs don't need or care about.
    www.saveavet.org

Comment

I went to Champaign and it was 12 weeks. which isan't to bad but we had a lot of long days

Comment

The main west burbs academy is SLEA at College of Dupage. There are others, but I am not familiar with them. I am in the same boat as you. Tested for several suburb dp's and am ranked very high on many, it's worth the shot and you can always transfer if you don't like where you are. Had my medical 4/11. Doc says I passed, but I have to wait for official word. Good Luck to ya.

Comment

Originally posted by OfcHayes26
          I went to Champaign and it was 12 weeks. which isan't to bad but we had a lot of long days
          Yep especially if you were signed up for police spanish Those 4 straight 5 am to 1015 pm days were brutal.
          My worst day as a police officer is a million times better than the best day on any other job!

RIP Joseph Bokholdt 2-14-1983 to 5-27-2008.

Comment

it's worth the shot and you can always transfer if you don't like where you are.
            ??? What do you mean by this?
            www.saveavet.org

Comment

Originally posted by dogcop
              ??? What do you mean by this?
              Sorry if I misled you, I mean you can get some experience at a department then test for another if you are really unhappy with you situation.

Comment

Sorry if I misled you, I mean you can get some experience at a department then test for another if you are really unhappy with you situation.
                OK, that's what I assumed you meant. I just didn't know if you thought, or if others had thought that you can change Suburban PD's by simply "transferring" rather than retesting.
                www.saveavet.org

Comment

Before I was the CPD, I worked for a another department. They sent us to the suburban academy at COD. Great law instructor at COD's academy, and all around it was a pretty good experience at COD. It was a 12 week academy.

On the flipside, my CPD academy was 34 weeks. It was the longest, most challenging, and most rewarding experience of my life. It was definitely one of the most bonding experiences of my life. In those 34 weeks, we spent about maybe 1 day, at the most, learning city ordinances. Most of our time was spent learning state laws and practical exercises. The practical exercises were the best. They were always frustrating, but we all learned our lessons the hard way. The firearms training was VERY GOOD, and so was the defensive tactics training.

The gang/narcotics training at the CPD academy was exceptional, as well it should be. The gym instructors physically and mentally challenge you on a daily basis, and you learn to develop a thick skin on the first day. The things that we were put through physically and mentally were a little bit different than the METRO recruits, who also train at our academy. Don't get me wrong- I'm not complaining. It's just a simple fact that our department does certain things to us mentally and physically that they cannot do to the METRO recruits.

There's a certain pride that goes along with making it through our academy. It truly is a bonding experience. Nevertheless, if you go to COD's suburban academy, I think you'll be satisfied. Good luck with everything, and if you change your mind and decide you still want to be the CPD, then make sure you get a good pair of running shoes.

Be Safe Out There,

cpd007

Comment

Thanks for the replies... I was also wondering- do you guys have any idea how long the wait usually is in the suburbs to get into an academy? Is it as long of a wait as it is in Chicago between when you test, and when you start? Just trying to get an idea what it really means to be on an "eligibility list".

Comment

5 months to 2 years

Comment

Originally posted by angelasdad
                        5 months to 2 years
                        yup that's about right from the application deadline. Once the official eligibility list is posted, it's just up to how many positions the dept. needs to fill and how often. If you're #1 and they're ready to hire it could be immediately, but if they don't have any spots to fill you still might wait a year.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4813 users online. 291 members and 4522 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X