• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• southpaw1
    commented on 's reply
    No problem! You're welcome. Mandowarr1995

• Mandowarr1995
    commented on 's reply
    Just pulled my credit report, thank you for posting this.

• southpaw1
    commented on 's reply
    Go for it! Any legit job that builds people skills and your work history is good and respectable imo.

• AspiringChicagoCop
    commented on 's reply
    DanielHK

Hah, I forgot all about that whole Starbucks and police thing.

• DanielHK
    commented on 's reply
    And since Starbucks puts its employees through some rigorous bias and diversity training, it'll look good on your police application. Lol. Jk

• AspiringChicagoCop
    replied
    Originally posted by southpaw1 View Post

I worked through high school and college. You could do a part time work study program to build out your resume or maybe an internship...that's always a plus.
    Yeah, it's never a bad idea. It's just that i'm currently in a position where I do not need money. Guess I'll pick up a gig at Starbucks as I've always wanted to do something with mixing drinks.

Leave a comment:

• southpaw1
    replied
    Originally posted by AspiringChicagoCop View Post
    Heh.. I have a pretty weak work history but I hope it won't disqualify me. I started working when I was 19 (22 now) and have less than a year of work history, but I have not been fired or anything. It's just that I'm still in school.
    I worked through high school and college. You could do a part time work study program to build out your resume or maybe an internship...that's always a plus.

Leave a comment:

• DanielHK
    commented on 's reply
    Shouldn't be an issue if you're in school. Even being terminated is not a deal breaker. As long as you didn't do something stupid to get fired.

• AspiringChicagoCop
    replied
    Heh.. I have a pretty weak work history but I hope it won't disqualify me. I started working when I was 19 (22 now) and have less than a year of work history, but I have not been fired or anything. It's just that I'm still in school.

Leave a comment:

• littleguy
    replied
    The four things to keep clear when applying for a law enforcement career: Credit history satisfactory, driving record, criminal record and work history.

Leave a comment:

• L-1
    replied
    I can't speak for Chicago, but go here http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/bi.pdf and start reading at Page 5-17. It will give you an idea as to the criteria commonly used to evaluate an applicant's financial history. While these are California's standards, the principles and logic behind them do not stop at the state line.

Leave a comment:

• Raiden341
    replied
    Some of the stuff that gets posted here or the theories just blow my mind...

They EXPECT you to have some type of debt. Average people have credit cards, mortgages, car loans, etc. If you have extra credit cards or even a time share, that’s fine. They are not going to DQ you for having typical finances. To say that they could, it shows no morale, lack of integrity is a complete crock.

What they are looking for are SIGNIFICANT problems. Multiple credit cards in collections, civil suits / law suits, citations (parking, movers, ordinance violations, etc) that are owed, utilities, dodgy payment histories (miss several, make some, no reliable pattern, etc), bankruptcy (this is a big one), etc. If you are in CPD’s background, you cannot owe ANY money to the city whatsoever.

People overthink these things all the time.

Leave a comment:

• southpaw1
    replied
    Not necessarily true mranderson77 Some of us don't have the luxury of not carrying any debt and grew up working class/lower middle class. I worked and went to school and I have student loans still and I didn't go the best schools either.

Also having some debt doesn't equal NO INTEGRITY! I went through a difficult time living with my dad who was terminally ill. With all due respect....you better believe that will set you back financially.

Yeah credit/credit history is important but it's sometimes the story behind it that's more important.
    Last edited by southpaw1; 07-02-2018, 02:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanielHK
    replied
    Originally posted by mranderson77 View Post
    I believe there was a recent a news article on some cpd gang officers robbing drug dealers and the fbi got involved. So they will probably enforce this rule for new hires. If you think about it having debt not related to mortgages, auto loans, or student loans is not a good thing.
    Of course not having any debt is ideal, but if you have no morals and are planning to be corrupt the debt is not the issue. Also what's worse? Having 24k in credit card debt, or paying off a loaded $80k pick up truck and $50k in student loans? I know that's an extreme example, but you get the idea.

Leave a comment:

• mranderson77
    replied
    I believe there was a recent a news article on some cpd gang officers robbing drug dealers and the fbi got involved. So they will probably enforce this rule for new hires. If you think about it having debt not related to mortgages, auto loans, or student loans is not a good thing.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11329 users online. 438 members and 10891 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X