300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit check

How does this part of the process work I have only one thing in collection's. Unless that I have always made payments on time I just have student loan debt and two years left on my car note. Is this going to be an issue?

Everything I have read here says to clean up the collections.

also, you can’t have more than $24k (starting pay is $48k; so half of that) in debt. Student loans, car note not included. Again, this is only what I’ve read here, but it makes sense.

Comment

^Exactly. Pull your credit report. Free yearly report available at www.annualcreditreport.com

Find out if there is anything in collections and start making phone calls! Even if its just that one work something out as far as a payment plan that you could afford. Show your BI that if it is brought up. They will pull your credit. As far as student loans there are many options deferment, etc but whatever you do don't let those student loans default.

Comment

• Mandowarr1995
        Mandowarr1995 commented
        Editing a comment
        Just pulled my credit report, thank you for posting this.

• southpaw1
        southpaw1 commented
        Editing a comment
        No problem! You're welcome. Mandowarr1995

Then I only have the one thing in collection's which is less then thousand dollars. I just didnt know how the student loan would be taken because it cost money to go to college and get a four year degree.

Comment

We all have student loans don't worry about that. I was just saying keep up with it to make sure it's either deferred or current. The car payment is fine too. You're good man just get that the other thing out of collections and show some type of payment plan. They don't like to see stuff in collections. Also you can't owe ANY debts to the City of Chicago at the time of hire.

Comment

The $24k figure is also not set in stone. I had more than that, but I did not have a car payment or student loans It came up during my home interview and I explained that it wad a pretty rough year after losing my job. I went back to school to get my 60 credits so I can apply to CPD, I also got my CDL, and had medical bills. All of those things got put on the credit cards and it added up. I was however making all my payments, had nothing in collection, my credit score is in the low 700 and I still had available credit of close to $30k on cards that were paid off and not being used. I explained it all during the home interview and it wasn't an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by DanielHK View Post
            The $24k figure is also not set in stone. I had more than that, but I did not have a car payment or student loans It came up during my home interview and I explained that it wad a pretty rough year after losing my job. I went back to school to get my 60 credits so I can apply to CPD, I also got my CDL, and had medical bills. All of those things got put on the credit cards and it added up. I was however making all my payments, had nothing in collection, my credit score is in the low 700 and I still had available credit of close to $30k on cards that were paid off and not being used. I explained it all during the home interview and it wasn't an issue.
            That's an understandable exception to the rule that could be explained like you did so yeah nothing is set in stone!

Directly from the CPD background standards link:

Disqualification Based on Indebtedness: Police officers are occasionally required to handle significant amounts of currency in the execution of their duties. Any applicant who has excessive current personal debts, not related to mortgage loans, student loans, auto loans, or a business may be found unsuitable for employment.

Any applicant who has defaulted on any loan or has an inconsistent payment pattern may be found unsuitable for employment. o Any applicant who owes a debt to the City of Chicago at any time during processing will be given a reasonable amount of time to clear those debts. Any applicant who owes a debt to the City of Chicago at the time of hire will be found unsuitable for employment.

I'll post the link to the rest of the background standards.

https://home.chicagopolice.org/wp-co...Applicants.pdf

Comment

I believe there was a recent a news article on some cpd gang officers robbing drug dealers and the fbi got involved. So they will probably enforce this rule for new hires. If you think about it having debt not related to mortgages, auto loans, or student loans is not a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by mranderson77 View Post
                I believe there was a recent a news article on some cpd gang officers robbing drug dealers and the fbi got involved. So they will probably enforce this rule for new hires. If you think about it having debt not related to mortgages, auto loans, or student loans is not a good thing.
                Of course not having any debt is ideal, but if you have no morals and are planning to be corrupt the debt is not the issue. Also what's worse? Having 24k in credit card debt, or paying off a loaded $80k pick up truck and $50k in student loans? I know that's an extreme example, but you get the idea.

Comment

Not necessarily true mranderson77 Some of us don't have the luxury of not carrying any debt and grew up working class/lower middle class. I worked and went to school and I have student loans still and I didn't go the best schools either.

Also having some debt doesn't equal NO INTEGRITY! I went through a difficult time living with my dad who was terminally ill. With all due respect....you better believe that will set you back financially.

Yeah credit/credit history is important but it's sometimes the story behind it that's more important.
                  Last edited by southpaw1; 07-02-2018, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Some of the stuff that gets posted here or the theories just blow my mind...

They EXPECT you to have some type of debt. Average people have credit cards, mortgages, car loans, etc. If you have extra credit cards or even a time share, that’s fine. They are not going to DQ you for having typical finances. To say that they could, it shows no morale, lack of integrity is a complete crock.

What they are looking for are SIGNIFICANT problems. Multiple credit cards in collections, civil suits / law suits, citations (parking, movers, ordinance violations, etc) that are owed, utilities, dodgy payment histories (miss several, make some, no reliable pattern, etc), bankruptcy (this is a big one), etc. If you are in CPD’s background, you cannot owe ANY money to the city whatsoever.

People overthink these things all the time.

Comment

I can't speak for Chicago, but go here http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/bi.pdf and start reading at Page 5-17. It will give you an idea as to the criteria commonly used to evaluate an applicant's financial history. While these are California's standards, the principles and logic behind them do not stop at the state line.
                      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

The four things to keep clear when applying for a law enforcement career: Credit history satisfactory, driving record, criminal record and work history.

Comment

Heh.. I have a pretty weak work history but I hope it won't disqualify me. I started working when I was 19 (22 now) and have less than a year of work history, but I have not been fired or anything. It's just that I'm still in school.

Comment

• DanielHK
                            DanielHK commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Shouldn't be an issue if you're in school. Even being terminated is not a deal breaker. As long as you didn't do something stupid to get fired.

Originally posted by AspiringChicagoCop View Post
                          Heh.. I have a pretty weak work history but I hope it won't disqualify me. I started working when I was 19 (22 now) and have less than a year of work history, but I have not been fired or anything. It's just that I'm still in school.
                          I worked through high school and college. You could do a part time work study program to build out your resume or maybe an internship...that's always a plus.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9515 users online. 239 members and 9276 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X