300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Careers

After 9 years as a Police Officer I am contemplating a career change. I am bored out of my mind and am looking for something more mentally challenging with an increased opportunity for professional growth. I was wondering if anybody else on this forum transitioned away from law enforcement and if so into what profession. If not, has anybody else considered or thought about the switch?

Originally posted by OfcrJ
    After 9 years as a Police Officer I am contemplating a career change. I am bored out of my mind and am looking for something more mentally challenging with an increased opportunity for professional growth. I was wondering if anybody else on this forum transitioned away from law enforcement and if so into what profession. If not, has anybody else considered or thought about the switch?
    Have you thought about a department change?

Comment

It depends on what type of work you want to get in....are you looking to open your own business or just get into the corporate world? Because the only advise I can give you about being in the corporate world the last 8 years is that it.....sucks. It's an annoying kind of BS...whining...petty threats (I want to make what so and so makes or I quit)....backstabbing....someone will throw one in your back to make a dollar more an hour...you get those annoying boss's like in Office Space...it's all about $$$....and I've been in the Marines so I know the BS from the other side, and it doesn't compare to corporate world crap.

Comment

I agree the corporate world sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by 0311Grunt
          It depends on what type of work you want to get in....are you looking to open your own business or just get into the corporate world? Because the only advise I can give you about being in the corporate world the last 8 years is that it.....sucks. It's an annoying kind of BS...whining...petty threats (I want to make what so and so makes or I quit)....backstabbing....someone will throw one in your back to make a dollar more an hour...you get those annoying boss's like in Office Space...it's all about $$$....and I've been in the Marines so I know the BS from the other side, and it doesn't compare to corporate world crap.

Sounds like Police Departments. LOL!

Comment

corporate SSSUUUUUCCKKKKSSS!!!! Hopefully, now you get the point about the business world. It is all about money and it does not matter what you do or have done for the company. When it comes to crunch time you better have your resume updated! There is no loyalty at any company!

I sent you an email about a specific field that a few LE people have gone into. It takes as much dedication and time (if not more) than LE, but the out come is well worth it.

Comment

I am a Finance Major....i was planning on going into the corporate world....make alota money.......than had an internship in a compnay in downtown Chicago. Hence, I am now here on this forum. That intership was the longest 1 year of my life, these guys are right its all about how much money you can milk out of people, their are no true friends, watch your job, office politics, and it is the most repetive boring job (well my part was). I decided this is what i wanted to do, and im glad i left....my advice....Teaching..its mentally stimulating, not boring, and thats what i believe i would do if i wasn't going into LE.

Comment

Just curious why you are bored? Is it the paperwork, your district, co-workers? Maybe switching districts or departments like another member suggested. I've had a few carreers before becoming a police officer and I found that they all got a little boring and repetative after awhile but the CPD has so many different directions you can go in. Just a thought.

Comment

Going from LE to Corporate would bore me IMO. I'm not an officer yet however I've been working in corporate america for about 8 years and the previous posters ARE RIGHT. Lots of politics, micromanaging, number crunching, cut throat drama, and rules depending on where you work. Every job has rules but having assingned lunch times shouldnt be one of them. It's more of a "every man or woman for themself" environment. I've never worked at a PD obviously but I imagine it's more a brother/sisterhood environment as oppose to looking for dirt on your coworkers so you can get ahead.

I was asked in an Oral Interview for a PD why I wanted to be a police officer. I told them it was because I wanted a job that actually had an impact on people as oppose to the bottom line of some companies revenue.

Comment

All of the points brought up thus far are valid. However, all the same things exist in law enforcement agencies as well. I have yet to experience the "brother/sisterhood" environment so clearly stated by those outside law enforcement. Maybe back in the older days this was the case, but in my experience newer cops are more apt to be self-centered. Many cops will stab each other in the back just as quickly in order to secure a promotion or other desirable inter-agency move. At least in the corporate world there is a CHANCE of making more money based on performance. I can push that squad car around all day long and do nothing....or do a lot...and still get paid exactly the same.

I know there are perks to being in law enforcement, but on a strictly personal-opinion basis I am just plain sick of sitting in that car each and every day doing mindless work under the auspice of "helping people" while slowly eating away time until locking in that desirable pension. At the same time it is very foolish to make a decision regarding a career change without making it an educated, well-understood process. I am just trying to gather information from others who may have....or may be thinking about...getting away from the monotony of police work.

Originally posted by seanranel
                    Going from LE to Corporate would bore me IMO. I'm not an officer yet however I've been working in corporate america for about 8 years and the previous posters ARE RIGHT. Lots of politics, micromanaging, number crunching, cut throat drama, and rules depending on where you work. Every job has rules but having assingned lunch times shouldnt be one of them. It's more of a "every man or woman for themself" environment. I've never worked at a PD obviously but I imagine it's more a brother/sisterhood environment as oppose to looking for dirt on your coworkers so you can get ahead.

I was asked in an Oral Interview for a PD why I wanted to be a police officer. I told them it was because I wanted a job that actually had an impact on people as oppose to the bottom line of some companies revenue.

Comment

Fact of the matter is there is BS associated with every job....just disguised in different way...we are all just trying to earn a dollar, feel good about ourselves and support ourselves/families....pouring money to a pension, or pouring money to a 401K, same deal...thats why when people like Lance Briggs turns down a 7 million dollar 1 year deal to play a game, I scratch my head.

Comment

Originally posted by OfcrJ
                        All of the points brought up thus far are valid. However, all the same things exist in law enforcement agencies as well. I have yet to experience the "brother/sisterhood" environment so clearly stated by those outside law enforcement. Maybe back in the older days this was the case, but in my experience newer cops are more apt to be self-centered. Many cops will stab each other in the back just as quickly in order to secure a promotion or other desirable inter-agency move. At least in the corporate world there is a CHANCE of making more money based on performance. I can push that squad car around all day long and do nothing....or do a lot...and still get paid exactly the same.

I know there are perks to being in law enforcement, but on a strictly personal-opinion basis I am just plain sick of sitting in that car each and every day doing mindless work under the auspice of "helping people" while slowly eating away time until locking in that desirable pension. At the same time it is very foolish to make a decision regarding a career change without making it an educated, well-understood process. I am just trying to gather information from others who may have....or may be thinking about...getting away from the monotony of police work.
                        I hear ya. The same for me except on the other side. I think with just about any job you do for about a decade you get burned out and want to switch to something else. Variety is the spice of life.

Comment

Wow OfcrJ your dept. has REALLY broke you down. I left my old PD after 8 years for some of the same reasons you are going through right now, but switched to a different PD and am 100% happier. In my experience of being a cop, ALOT of what you wrote is Department based, not what all of LE is about. I'm curious as to what PD you are on. If you feel comfortable you can PM it to me, if not I understand. I know people that work in corporate and corporate has a big "suck potential". Yes, you MIGHT make more money based upon performance, but you might also LOSE YOUR JOB based upon "downsizing". To me that is the greatest thing about the LE profession, you can basically HATE your PD but your job is still secure for the next 20 years and you WILL get a pension, etc. Not the same can be said about Corporate America. But there is a good chance that mabye LE work is no longer for you, better to recognize that now and not get yourself or someone else hurt if your head if no longer in the "game".
                          www.saveavet.org

Comment

You got to follow your gut on this one. As glamorous and exciting one job might seem, if it's really not what you want to do, all the money and benefits won't help a thing. Well,maybe if it's A LOT of money. You can make any career into what you want it to be, but if you're not passionate about your job, it'll get old real fast. Follow your heart, if it's time to get out,get out now while you're still young. At your age you could still make it back into LE 5 years from now if you decide that's where you should be. With 5+ years experience you'll have no problem finding a job, and still be able to retire at a decent age......

Comment

Going from LE to Corporate would bore me IMO. I'm not an officer yet however I've been working in corporate America for about 8 years and the previous posters ARE RIGHT. Lots of politics, micromanaging, number crunching, cut throat drama, and rules depending on where you work. Every job has rules but having assigned lunch times shouldn't be one of them. It's more of a "every man or woman for them self" environment. I've never worked at a PD obviously but I imagine it's more a brother/sisterhood environment as oppose to looking for dirt on your coworkers so you can get ahead.

You have never been in a P.D. have you? Everything you mention is alive and well in many P.D.'s.

Brotherhood/Sisterhood...RIIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHHHTTTTTT. Maybe to the outside looking in but looking inside out there are quite a few with the every man or woman for themselves ideology. We call them One Way.

Lots of politics, micromanaging, number crunching, cut throat drama, and rules depending on where you work.
                              Have you seen Chicago's General Orders, Special Orders, Department Notices, Administrative Orders, and Rules and Regulations, Training Bulletins, etc?

You haven't seen a private sector company with a Policy and Procedure manual anywhere near the size of the rules we are expected to know and follow.

We have micro managers, number crunchers and drama just like any other fortune 500 company. We have MANY MANY MORE rules to follow however.

I see applicants on here visualizing what they believe the law enforcement profession to be like and I can tell you, having done both, there are pros and cons to both Law Enforcement and Corporate America.
                              Last edited by SeVere; 04-12-2007, 04:25 PM. Reason: Punctuation

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5750 users online. 345 members and 5405 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X