• Show
Clear All

• Texasborn36
    started a topic Foid

Foid

Do you have to have a foid card in Illinois if you are a sworn officer

• ChiTownDet
    replied
    There was a thing about this, maybe 15 years ago on Chicago, where guys would let their FOID lapse, quoting this part of the statute. While technically correct, it would mean you couldn't carry your gun back and forth to work, and would have to check out a gun at work, then return it at the end of shift, all impractical. You would not be able to carry off duty. The city then came out with the order that you must have, and keep valid, an FOID card.

And, when the domestic violence laws came into being, maybe 20 yrs or so ago, a Burbank P/O was arrested for a domestic. His FOID got pulled. The Dept. put him on a leave. He sued to be able to work, quoting the above exception to the law. His lawyer said that he could leave his gun at work, be issued it while on duty, then return it. Burbank had no obligation to do this, refused, and he was terminated.
    Last edited by ChiTownDet; 06-22-2018, 08:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ChiTownDet
    replied
    430 ILCS 65/2 (c) Exceptions
    (c) The provisions of this Section regarding the acquisition and possession of firearms, firearm ammunition, stun guns, and tasers do not apply to law enforcement officials of this or any other jurisdiction, while engaged in the operation of their official duties.

Last edited by ChiTownDet; 06-22-2018, 08:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• I-8
    replied
    Indiana residents need to have a foid card as well.

Leave a comment:

• 300Busa
    replied
    Originally posted by MP08 View Post
    Don’t get a foid card confused with a consealed carry card. Everyone needs a foid card however sworn officers do not need a consealed carry card. The only exception to the foid card rule is living out of state but being a sworn IL officer. For example When I started my job I was an Indiana resident I was not required to have a foid card.
    Exactly what I was referring to.

Leave a comment:

• MP08
    replied
    Don’t get a foid card confused with a consealed carry card. Everyone needs a foid card however sworn officers do not need a consealed carry card. The only exception to the foid card rule is living out of state but being a sworn IL officer. For example When I started my job I was an Indiana resident I was not required to have a foid card.

Leave a comment:

• scotty_appleton814
    commented on 's reply
    Show me your statute for your technical no answer

• Raiden341
    replied
    ^ Uhhh, yes. You need a FOID. Departments will require it, will ask for it and will routinely check to make sure it is valid. If a copper ever becomes involved in a domestic situation, that FOID could become revoked and copper loses his job per state law because he can’t own a weapon. Same thing goes for OOP’s that require said person to relinquish weapons. No weapons, no job.

Leave a comment:

• 300Busa
    replied
    Technically no. Most departments require it though.

Leave a comment:

• DanielHK
    replied
    I don't think it matters if it's for personal or department weapons, you'll need a foid either way. They even want a copy of it during the hiring process.

Leave a comment:

• HI629
    replied
    For personally owned or department owned firearms?

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6553 users online. 223 members and 6330 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X