300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tan card?

I'm just curious to know how many of the LEO's in here know what a tan card is.

I know what one is, what do you need to know about one.
    My worst day as a police officer is a million times better than the best day on any other job!

RIP Joseph Bokholdt 2-14-1983 to 5-27-2008.

Comment

Tan Card used to be a Blue Card....

Comment

AKA FAC Card Firearms Authorization Card. It is a card an employer gets for you certifying you are trained and authorised under their company name to carry a firearm in public lawfully. It is issued by the Department of Professional Regulation.

Comment

As far as legal goes. Those who have the Firearms Authorization card (tan card) must also display a valid FOID card when requested by a police officer. Those who have a tan card may only carry a firearm while working for a licensed security or private detective company. The dept of prof regulation requires 1 hour transport time to and from card holders job site. The security company I supervised for had a policy that required officers to go directly home after work and secure their firearm before going shopping or such. One other thing for leo's to consider when encoutering some one who has a firearm on them and a tan card is to request the business number for the company he/she works for and verify that the person is either on duty or with in the 1 hour time frame. The card bearer is not covered by the legal exception and could be charged for carrying outside the parameters.
          My worst day as a police officer is a million times better than the best day on any other job!

RIP Joseph Bokholdt 2-14-1983 to 5-27-2008.

Comment

I've done some reading into this and have some more questions:

I was reading this site: http://ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilc...Act+of+2004%2E

and it doesn't seem to make a distinction between security, private investigator and private detectives but it also seems to lump them all under one act.

I'll clarify something here. The people who are private detectives have taken that specific exam and can open their own agency and work on their own. The people who are private investigators have to work under a private detective agency, their licensing procedure is significantly less in time/money/difficulty.

PD's can order their own tan cards and own them while PI's and SG's cannot order their own tan cards, they are owned by their employing agency.

I've got PD's and supervisors for PI/SG companies telling me that they can carry 24/7 anywhere they want because they are on call/working 24/7 so they can carry whenever. But this says to the contrary:

"Armed employee" means a licensee or registered person who is employed by an agency licensed or an armed proprietary security force registered under this Act who carries a weapon while engaged in the performance of official duties within the course and scope of his or her employment during the hours and times the employee is scheduled to work or is commuting between his or her home or place of employment, provided that commuting is accomplished within one hour from departure from home or place of employment.
            Does the 1 hour provision also apply to private detectives and supervisors of agencies?

Comment

...carries a weapon while engaged in the performance of official duties within the course and scope of his or her employment during the hours and times the employee is scheduled to work or is commuting between his or her home or place of employment....

The person on the other end of the phone better have the right answers and be willing to fax time cards over immediately or the "24/7, On-Call, Rambo" is a pinch and that company just lost a gun... If somebody thinks hanging out in Godfather's sipping Courvasier and KoolAid with a Taurus stuck in his belt is being at work, they may get a rude awakening..Just like some of these guys that work for security co.'s that have CHA contracts think they are CHA Police, and sit on the hood of their car with a .9mm hanging out a shoulder holster get a wake up call..

If someone wants to risk getting detained for a gun they know they SHOULD NOT be toting around, and roll the bones on whether they are going to be a CB # and their company's gun is going to be on a barge heading off to a steel mill in Gary, just keep believing that they found the "loophole."

Bottom line is, if the copper doesn't believe whatever BS reason for them having a gun, let the company send a lawyer with him to 26th-Cal. on his court date..
              Last edited by ChiTownDet; 07-09-2007, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                ... to 26th-Cal. on his court date..
                But then we may be not be nice to them either.

Comment

...carries a weapon while engaged in the performance of official duties within the course and scope of his or her employment during the hours and times the employee is scheduled to work or is commuting between his or her home or place of employment....

The person on the other end of the phone better have the right answers and be willing to fax time cards over immediately or the "24/7, On-Call, Rambo" is a pinch and that company just lost a gun... If somebody thinks hanging out in Godfather's sipping Courvasier and KoolAid with a Taurus stuck in his belt is being at work, they may get a rude awakening..Just like some of these guys that work for security co.'s that have CHA contracts think they are CHA Police, and sit on the hood of their car with a .9mm hanging out a shoulder holster get a wake up call..

If someone wants to risk getting detained for a gun they know they SHOULD NOT be toting around, and roll the bones on whether they are going to be a CB # and their company's gun is going to be on a barge heading off to a steel mill in Gary, just keep believing that they found the "loophole."

Bottom line is, if the copper doesn't believe whatever BS reason for them having a gun, let the company send a lawyer with him to 26th-Cal. on his court date..
                  I had a self employed private detective licensee driving through the projects with 3 guns on him. ASA denied charges and he was released without charging in that we could not prove whether he was working a case or not and thus within the performance of his duties. The loophole is there and the licensees use it.

You can't seize their firearms either. I don't believe for a minute he was working but nonetheless he walked.

Comment

...and their company's gun is going to be on a barge heading off to a steel mill in Gary, ...
                    A Finkl & Sons on the Northside, if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by SeVere View Post
                      I had a self employed private detective licensee driving through the projects with 3 guns on him. ASA denied charges and he was released without charging in that we could not prove whether he was working a case or not and thus within the performance of his duties. The loophole is there and the licensees use it.

You can't seize their firearms either. I don't believe for a minute he was working but nonetheless he walked.
                      That is exactly what some of the PD's have told me. They've even gone as far to say they'd lie to the LEO about working or not. I mean, it would be obvious if the guy was out at the ice cream shop with his kids but it's not always that cut & dry.

Comment

Just toss his piece on the desk in front of the ASA and tell him/her to give it back to him...But then again, there'd be no problem if he shows me his Dixmoor Park Dist. PD ID's...
                        Last edited by ChiTownDet; 07-09-2007, 09:12 PM.

Comment

I am licensed by the State of Illinois as a Private Detective. Private Investigators only need a P.E.R.C. card to work for a Private Detective Agency. I will say this on the Subject. There is a reason I work as a sole proprietor. There are just too many idiots out there. A Private Detective license in the State of Illinois is not all that easy to obtain. I went through alot to obtain mine and I would not put that in jeopardy because an employee watched too many P.I. television shows. All Private Detectives must carry 1 million dollars in professional liability insurance, the price for that escalates if you are armed. It jumps even higher if you have armed employees. I guarantee if you called some of the employers of these Private Investigators and Security Guards, they would be none too happy about them carrying thier weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by Himso View Post
                            I guarantee if you called some of the employers of these Private Investigators and Security Guards, they would be none too happy about them carrying thier weapons.
                            Not when the people carrying their firearms are relatives/friends/business partners of the employer.

The PD's are designating those people I mentioned above as supervisors, it even says so on their company ID cards.

Yes, it takes a lot to get a PD license. But in a sense, if you have a few years time and the money, you can get a loophole CCW in IL because a few guys watched too many TV shows...

I work in the field myself and I really hate to say this but so many people I run into in this line of work are usually the type that couldn't make it in the military and/or law enforcement.

Comment

Just toss his piece on the desk in front of the ASA and tell him/her to give it back to him...But then again, there'd be no problem if he shows me his Dixmoor Park Dist. PD ID's...
                              LOL!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12895 users online. 415 members and 12480 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X