300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do I get my star?

I was sworn in the commissioners office with the chief, we stamped and notarized it. Last week, I was sworn in again at a town hall meeting with friends and family. I was a little sad that I wasn't handed a star Does it actually happen after academy? I was just curious when I get it. Or will I be getting it the week I go in to do paperwork before academy starts.....can you tell Im so eager to have a star lol

Ask your department rook...congrats by the way

Comment

"You don't get a gun and badge until you tell us your name."
      Chief Wigham- Springfield PD

In reality, places do it differently. Some do it as soon as your sworn in, some at the Village Hall Board meeting, some, just prior to you starting the academy, some while you are in the academy after passing range, some at graduation. One place I worked at, we got ours 5 minutes after the village clerk swore us in outside her office in the hallway. In Chicago, we got ours after the 10th week.
      Last edited by ChiTownDet; 06-01-2018, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Like chitown said every department does it differently. Some will give it to you when sworn in, after you pass the state exam, complete the academy etc. I remember being in metro and seeing other officers from different suburbs already having their stars, not to mention department squads to take to the academy.

Comment

This post is a good reason NOT to hand out badges and creds until AFTER the academy...
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Lastchance2017 View Post
            I was sworn in the commissioners office with the chief, we stamped and notarized it. Last week, I was sworn in again at a town hall meeting with friends and family. I was a little sad that I wasn't handed a star :( Does it actually happen after academy? I was just curious when I get it. Or will I be getting it the week I go in to do paperwork before academy starts.....can you tell Im so eager to have a star lol
            There ya go, bud. This should cheer you up until you get the real thing. Congrats on being sworn in!

Comment

I was a "Police Officer" when i got hired in 2016 due to my job series (0083), but didn't get my badge pinned on until the Academy graduation
              Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
              USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
              "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
              Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

My dept didn't give me my star until the day before graduation. Made me have a sense of accomplishment.

Comment

I was issued my star when I was sworn in. Didn't receive my ID until after the academy.
                  We don't "LOL" here. This isn't facebook or some text message between BFF's who are all OMG WTFJH and DYST? We type and speak as adults. Fix yourself.

Comment

I've got 24 years on with my department. Still haven't gotten a star.

All I got was a dumb shield...which isn't nearly as cool as a star. Case in point: When my son was in elementary school I was invited to speak to his class about being a cop. I was in uniform and showed them some of my equipment...and this cute little girl asked to see my "star". I told her I didn't have one, but showed her my shield. She said her daddy (who was a Sheriff's officer) had a star, and if I didn't have one then I wasn't a real cop and just a big lying liar. Kids can be so cruel. I was tempted to tell her that I'm out driving fast cars and arresting bad guys while her daddy is stuck at the court house pushing a button on the x-ray machine all day...but sure, HE is the "real cop". I bit my tongue...and her dad and I had a good laugh later.

Comment

Here ya go....

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
                        not.in.MY.town commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Enjoy...until the birds, hobos and tourists crap all over it.

I work for an agency that gives you not ONE but TWO stars upon the swearing in ceremony. That makes me extra special.
                      Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post
                        Enjoy...until the birds, hobos and tourists crap all over it..
                        Departments I’m familiar with issue a star upon successful academy completion and reclaim the star if one does not satisfactorily complete FTO and probation.

not.in.MY.town, FYI the word "Hobo" is no longer considered PC in my part of the country.

Hobo is slang for hobosexuals, a person sexually attracted to “tramps”. Unless relevant in a serious event and a direct quote from a victim, the word Hobo shall not to be used in reports or transmitted over the air.

Violations of this policy may result in progressive discipline… oral counseling, documented oral counseling, unpaid vacation or worst case, scenario blatant policy violators wishing they were issued a shield with smooth edges and not a 7 point star visible by x-ray. jk

written and posted tongue in cheek
                        Last edited by BTDT2; 06-03-2018, 03:24 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
                          not.in.MY.town commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Discovering that star will be another WTF moment for NOLA2005.

BTW, we use the term "hobo" to refer to residents of Hoboken, NJ. They usually don't appreciate it,,,

I got one metal shield and like 4 embroidered ones
                        Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                        USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                        "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                        Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

Originally posted by StephDakel View Post
                          I work for an agency that gives you not ONE but TWO stars upon the swearing in ceremony. That makes me extra special.
                          Now that's just being greedy. No wonder there was no star left to give to Lastchance2017 .

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6428 users online. 227 members and 6201 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X