300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for current/retired Chicago P.O.'s

How legit is it to make it to a tact, gang, etc. unit? Do you need clout or is it possible to make it based on your work?

Clout always goes a long way. I wish it weren't this way, but unfortunately it is. I wish the City could clean this up, some how, some way- heck anyway. Don't get me wrong- I'm not bad mouthing the department. I've just accepted the gravity of the situation.

On a better note, some of us still make it the old fashioned way- we've earned it. If that's the one thing I earned in my career with the CPD, then I'm proud of my accomplishment. I worked hard to get to tact, and not a day goes by that I'm not thankful for the opportunity.

If making Tact or Gangs is your goal, then be sure to make as many drug arrests as possible. In the meantime, learning patrol on the watch is definitely a must. The more you learn on the watch as a patrolman, the better off you'll be on Tact/Gang, and the more valuable an asset to your Tact/Gang SGT. you will be. Hopefully, you'll have an FTO that likes to work- An FTO that will truly turn you on to the job.

Good Luck and Be Safe,

cpd007

Comment

thanks for the response. at this point i'm just a hopeful waiting to get the letter for the final power test - if i passed the psych. exam. i've heard good and bad things about the Dept. - the bad things being those related to promotions and clout. the reason i asked the original question is because i don't have any pull/juice/clout in the Dept. so i just wanted to get some feedback from PO's.

Comment

If you make it past the psych., then you should be good to go. The psych. is where the vast majority of applicants wash out. Good luck with everything, and get a good pair of running shoes for the academy.

Be Safe,

cpd007

Comment

No doubt about it, some get into Tac, Units because of who they know. Some of these people are totally incompetent, but remember, these Units still need people to make arrests that result in convictions, conduct and coherently document investigations, and be able to handle assignments without calling for a supervisor 10 times a shift.

If you make quality arrests (Part ones, not 1 rock pinches), are somewhat independant (not "jumping" on others arrests), show that you can be depended on by your partners on the watch and your supervisors, work in fast Districts, learning all you can from some of the "vets" there, you can make it. It may take more time or attempts than some that clout their way in, but you'll know (and others will, also) that you made it on your work, not a phone call.

Good Luck..
          Last edited by ChiTownDet; 04-10-2007, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Amen to ChiTownDet's advice. Hey, ChiTownDet, I sent you back a PM last week.

Be Safe,

cpd007

Comment

Don't forget to get those parkers and movers! The city LOVES those

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3287 users online. 150 members and 3137 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X