300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Conditionals and Torn

I know this isn't necessarily a "problem" but more of a true blessing! I was given conditional offers back to back within a few weeks of each other. One dept is almost completely finished I have done poly, psych, vision, and medical. I was given my academy date for June with SLEA. The other dept literally just gave me the offer days ago and is expecting me to do all testing in the next few days! Their academy spot is CPD metro and starts in just 2 short weeks! I just cannot seem to decide what dept to go with. I'm truly torn. They are both great depts. and same distance from my house. What should be the determining factor here? Aside from pay? What should I know/ask before making my decision. Also, I need to do this ASAP as it is unfair to the dept assuming I'm going to academy in 2 weeks. Please help Im so so lost here.

I too was in that predicament, although not as rushed as you. Depending on what you hope to get out of your LE career you should consider department size as larger departments often have more specialized positions outside of patrol. If you have a contact for these departments you may want to reach out to them and ask what special units they have and roughly how many positions. Have you looked into the contracts for each department? When comparing contracts look at how much compensation time you allowed to bank, do they offer extra pay for certain skills, what is the cost of health insurance. How stable is the municipality or county's financials? You can often find this information by doing some online research, especially from local newspapers. Have they laid off recently? What type of businesses do each community have? What are the crime statistics- Check the Illinois State Police website for annual crime stats? Can you do a ride along with each department that way you can have a few hours of a one on one with a patrol officer.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by 9291; 04-21-2018, 01:50 AM.

Comment

I 2nd that motion. If their union contract is something you can get ahold of (some have them online), read it!

Comment

What 9291 said. There's more to it than an academy start date. Know any coppers? Ask them their opinion of both places. You may be surprised at the answers you get.

Comment

Also, maybe a ridealong with each agency?

Comment

One gave you a start date.Take what's guaranteed.

Comment

No kidding. The other is just starting the process...many things can happen. There are not two offers. There is one offer of a job.
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

You take whichever department sends you to the academy first so you can get state certified. There's a ton of people that never make it. You can always lateral to another department later on and work for your dream department.

Comment

Well now its official. I have passed all exams including poly, pysch, medical for both depts. One dept swears me in as early as May 3rd with academy at CPD metro starting May 7-Sept 7 (about a month longer academy). Pay is $69k, 7,000 population, fairly upper class neighborhood, dupage county, 12 hr shifts, about 30 mins from me. The other dept is close to the city in cook county, pay is $63k, 14,000 population, middle class, quiet also with mostly retail theft, 8 hr shifts 4 days on 2 days off, about 10-15 mins from me, academy is SLEA June 25-Sept 28 . I have young kids. What would you do?!

Comment

I wish I was in your “predicament” lol. If I had to choose I’d go with SLEA. Closer to home, alternating days on/off, might be $6K less but with a population of 14K compared to the other one which is at 7K you’ll probably stay somewhat busy and gain more experience, some overtime, just my assumption than working in an area with a small population especially upper class. You have kids and you’ll be closer to home, just giving you my opinion. Congrats on being accepted to both!

Comment

I’d go with the first PD based upon what you have given us. I’ve been a cop 20 years, have worked on 2 different Depts. and have had a total of 7 conditional hires through my career from all good PD’s. I was in your exact same spot 12 years ago when I turned down one PD to go to another from hopping ship from my original PD. Both PD’s you’re going for are small, so not like you’re comparing a 12 member dept. to a 100. 12’s are great, more money is in DuPage, Cook Co. system sucks. I’m assuming both are Union and I’m sure you can find both contracts. Read and compare them, but I’m betting #1 is better. At the end of the day, working conditions and money/benefits trumps all in my opinion.
                    www.saveavet.org

Comment

Those 12's would be the deciding factor for me.

Comment

Plus you got a family. An extra $500 a month in the pocket and about 60 more days off to be home.
                        www.saveavet.org

Comment

I found out one dept is step salary so increases set yearly until cap. The other is performance based 0-3% yearly until cap. Both caps are almost exact same amount. The only difference is one you reach in 10 the other can be 7 but it can be 12.

Comment

I tried telling one of the dept thanks but no thanks. The commissioner ended up calling me right away. He tried talking me out of it. He had the chief call me. Then the Chief wanted to meet so we did at a coffee shop. They had planned to swear in at the end of May but when I told them the other dept was swearing me in next week they moved my swearing in to tomorrow!!!! He said he wants me to feel secure and confident that this is my position. So I literally have less then 24 hrs now to make a final decision on which dept. I am going completely nuts here.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7585 users online. 403 members and 7182 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X