300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suburban Academy

So I am just curious and I tried to search this and keep getting different answers. I know the Academy is 14 weeks long. I really wanted to know about hours...how many hours a day? Whats the usual start time and end time? Just wanted to get a feel for a typical day or week. I have a couple kids and wanted to just be prepared.

Which suburban academy are you referring too?

Comment

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post
      Which suburban academy are you referring too?
      SLEA in Dupage

Comment

I can’t speak for all academies as I’ve only attended one. However, you can use my experience for comparison as I’m friends with many people that attended different academies and they had similar occurences. That being said, ISP recruit academy was a 480 hr state requirement when I went through, now it’s 520.

I can tell you, we did many many more hours than the state required. Rather it was a late class or them just @#$&ing with us, we had many looooong days that went into night. Then again I had to live there during the week so you can take what I’m saying with a grain of salt. SLEA gets to return home everyday, but I wouldn’t expect them to STICK to schedule. Especially in a paramilitary environment.

Comment

From a friend: Roughly 645-1630 some nights, weekends. Definitely paramilitary...formation, shoes better be shined and spotless. You will literally spend a few minutes before class burning off pieces of lint from your clothes. One person messes up...the whole class suffers so don't be that person that is late or forgets things. Nice state of the art campus on College of DuPage's Campus. Congrats and good luck!

Comment

My SLEA days, only a few years ago. But I went for 12, and you say it's now 14 weeks.

Days are long. You will PT 3 to 4 days a weeks depending on class size and schedule. PT starts bright and early at about 530 hours shower and be back at class at about 7 or 0800 hours. Rigid classroom learning. About an hour for lunch, you will eat in a room next door with ONE microwave. The day ends sometime between 1630 and 1830, once again depending on circumstance.

It is paramilitary in nature. You will be expected to be respectful to everyone you encounter, speaking to everyone as sir or ma'am. You will learn drill and ceremony from members of your class who are military veterans. You will be shining boots and picking lint until about 2 minutes before inspection. You will thrown a lot of information very quickly and are expected to hang. Don't try to get too close and buddy buddy with the instructors.

If something is a rule, it's a rule, yours not the place to ask why. And for your jobs sake, LEAVE YOUR CELL PHONE IN YOUR CAR! Any other questions PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post
              My SLEA days, only a few years ago. But I went for 12, and you say it's now 14 weeks.

Days are long. You will PT 3 to 4 days a weeks depending on class size and schedule. PT starts bright and early at about 530 hours shower and be back at class at about 7 or 0800 hours. Rigid classroom learning. About an hour for lunch, you will eat in a room next door with ONE microwave. The day ends sometime between 1630 and 1830, once again depending on circumstance.

It is paramilitary in nature. You will be expected to be respectful to everyone you encounter, speaking to everyone as sir or ma'am. You will learn drill and ceremony from members of your class who are military veterans. You will be shining boots and picking lint until about 2 minutes before inspection. You will thrown a lot of information very quickly and are expected to hang. Don't try to get too close and buddy buddy with the instructors.

If something is a rule, it's a rule, yours not the place to ask why. And for your jobs sake, LEAVE YOUR CELL PHONE IN YOUR CAR! Any other questions PM me.
              Sending you a private message.

Comment

Think that the State minimum for basic recruit training just went up to 620. Look for Chicago Metro and Cook County to surpass that by maybe 2 weeks more.

Man, I remember when PTI was 6 weeks and CCSPD and Metro were 10 weeks.

Comment

SLEA is a long day between early am PT, class, and commuting. Their pride is academics. As far as paramilitary environment it was not rigid. Yeah they wanted polished shoes and pressed uniforms but I never saw anything happen to anyone because they should've done better.The only full time academy I've heard of that may be easier/ more laid back is PTI.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5658 users online. 328 members and 5330 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X