300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiring process - I’m so close!!!!

im literally in another world I’m so on edge and excited at the same time. I have tested, applied and am on several lists but my dream dept happens to be the first to contact me to do backgrounds. This is my only chance because by the time they retest I’d be too old . Anyway long story short, they are hiring 2. I’m #2. The detective told me he’s doing backgrounds on top 5. I only have psych. He told me in 2 weeks he will be handing over his “findings”, reports, all background info and poly results to the fire and police commissioners. They will make the final decision. My question is do they pick their favorite or best of the 5 or are the other 3 just backups? I’m just curious. Previously, I was #3 on the list and was told they would start backgrounds but the other 2 would be offered the position first. The guy a head of me in spot #2 dropped because he got hired. So I got a letter saying I’m up.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Lastchance2017 View Post
      im literally in another world I’m so on edge and excited at the same time. I have tested, applied and am on several lists but my dream dept happens to be the first to contact me to do backgrounds. This is my only chance because by the time they retest I’d be too old . Anyway long story short, they are hiring 2. I’m #2. The detective told me he’s doing backgrounds on top 5. I only have psych. He told me in 2 weeks he will be handing over his “findings”, reports, all background info and poly results to the fire and police commissioners. They will make the final decision. My question is do they pick their favorite or best of the 5 or are the other 3 just backups? I’m just curious. Previously, I was #3 on the list and was told they would start backgrounds but the other 2 would be offered the position first. The guy a head of me in spot #2 dropped because he got hired. So I got a letter saying I’m up.
      Not sure what the rules are for your civil service commission. I remember being in another state and if they background 1, 2, 3 on the list and they have 2 vacancies, they are allowed to hire whichever of the three that passed background. I have only heard of depts (not sheriffs) around here hiring straight down the list unless they (are permitted too) jump an entry candidate in favor of a lateral.

Seems buddy you should just relax. You put yourself in a good place, now you got to have more patience and let it play out. That's hard part. Knowing that the finish line is near but you have to wait for it to come to you, and you not Chase it. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post

Not sure what the rules are for your civil service commission. I remember being in another state and if they background 1, 2, 3 on the list and they have 2 vacancies, they are allowed to hire whichever of the three that passed background. I have only heard of depts (not sheriffs) around here hiring straight down the list unless they (are permitted too) jump an entry candidate in favor of a lateral.

Seems buddy you should just relax. You put yourself in a good place, now you got to have more patience and let it play out. That's hard part. Knowing that the finish line is near but you have to wait for it to come to you, and you not Chase it. Good luck!
        Are rules different for sheriff departments when hiring off a list?

Btw good luck OP.

Comment

• Raiden341
          Raiden341 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sheriff’s can generally hire whoever they want on the list. I have a buddy who was hired on a Sheriff’s department. He was 15 I believe and he was the very first guy they hired. Knowing someone helped... Cook Sheriff’s police, for example, they don’t even get a number when they test for the spot. Whenever they hire for Sheriff’s police, they can literally look at the list and point to whoever they want and voila.

Originally posted by Z06 kid View Post

Are rules different for sheriff departments when hiring off a list?

Btw good luck OP.
        Raiden sums it up. I suppose that's a perk for working for an elected (as opposed to an) appointed agency head.

Comment

Raiden can you input on my situation? This is a small suburban PD and as I mentioned I’m #2 their hiring 2. Detective said he’s doing backgrounds on top 5. Do they pick their favorite or in order as long as I pass everything?

Comment

• scotty_appleton814
            scotty_appleton814 commented
            Editing a comment
            Knowing which dept would be great. But you can normally google the police and fire rules for the city you getting hired. Just got to do some investigating.

I see, I thought sheriff departments had to hire in order, guess I learned something new, thanks.

Comment

This is not the sheriff dept I am referring to...do they hire in order or will they pick their favorite 2?

Comment

Originally posted by Lastchance2017 View Post
              Raiden can you input on my situation? This is a small suburban PD and as I mentioned I’m #2 their hiring 2. Detective said he’s doing backgrounds on top 5. Do they pick their favorite or in order as long as I pass everything?
              It varies from department to department. You said all you have left is psych. Some departments will do backgrounds on more than what they intend to hire so that way if someone fails their later steps such as a poly, psych or medical, they already have background done on someone else and can get them going into the later steps quicker.

On the the other hand, some departments will do all the steps on say 4-5 people and only want to hire 2 or 3. The Commission looks over everyone’s investigations, background, histories, etc and determines who they want. The others that don’t get picked could be put back into the list, or in some cases, get bounced because they weren’t selected. Like I said, it varies department to department.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13406 users online. 458 members and 12948 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X