300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does BI vary from dept to dept?

Completely out of curiosity....I'm in the middle of backgrounds. If (God forbid!!!) I get dq from the BI should I just give up the dream? In other words, if one dept dqs you will it mean everyone else will too?

Don't give up.

While there are some hard and fast DQ standards (felony conviction, dishonesty, lack the minimum qualifications, etc.) other standards will vary from agency to agency. What's a DQ with one agency may be OK with another. Additionally, the quality of the background may vary from department to department and investigator to investigator. A couple of years ago we fired a BI when we discovered she was sitting home, watching TV and fabricating her investigations. She reported she went to businesses that had been closed for years, interviewed people who were dead, etc. We hired applicants and had them in the academy, only to find their backgrounds were bogus and had to be done all over again. When some of theme came up bad, we had to fail them on their probation because of her laziness.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
      Don't give up.

While there are some hard and fast DQ standards (felony conviction, dishonesty, lack the minimum qualifications, etc.) other standards will vary from agency to agency. What's a DQ with one agency may be OK with another. Additionally, the quality of the background may vary from department to department and investigator to investigator. A couple of years ago we fired a BI when we discovered she was sitting home, watching TV and fabricating her investigations. She reported she went to businesses that had been closed for years, interviewed people who were dead, etc. We hired applicants and had them in the academy, only to find their backgrounds were bogus and had to be done all over again. When some of theme came up bad, we had to fail them on their probation because of her laziness.
      WOW!!!! Well then that gives me a lot of hope! I was a victim of domestic battery and I am afraid they will DQ me for that. Never been arrested, no drugs ever, no drinking at all (I hate it), clean credit, speeding tickets from over ten years ago. Cant really think of anything else. I am on 6 lists and the one doing my BI is my dream dept. Went in a few days ago the detective made me sign a fee simple forms and said talk to you in 2 months. Then he called me the same day and said don't be discouraged or think its over if you don't hear from me in 2 months it just takes time. And done. I literally pray everyday it gos well.

Comment

• Sincity
        Sincity commented
        Editing a comment
        any update? Did you get hired with your dream dept?

He's right, sometimes it takes a while. Things like getting stuff back from prior jobs, waiting for FBI prints, etc. Plus, depending on the size of the PD (think most suburbs) they usually don't have one detective just for BI's , so they are doing other investigations, also. And a BI may get fit in when he has the time. And a lot of times, they won't be done until just before the start of an academy. Don't see how being a crime victim can DQ you. If there are problems that may arise from that crime, which would impact you as a PO, that would probably come out in the psych.

Comment

I was told to wait and be patient. It can take up to 2 months. The BI investigator told me not to panic if I don't hear from him for a while. This wait is going to kill.

Comment

Your BI was helping to teach you one of the most important lessons for a government employee - Hurry up and wait. The wheels of government often grind very slowly, whether it be in hiring, purchasing, projects - you name it. Sometimes there's just not enough people to move things along quickly so tasks get done by one person, one at a time, dragging things out by months. Sometimes budgets are an issue. I've seen job vacancies go unfilled for months and sometimes years so the money that would pay for their salaries and benefits can be redirected to pay for equipment and vehicles. Unless you are "in the know" you have no idea why tings seem to be taking forever or have ground to a halt.

You'll get the full does once you are hired.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
            Your BI was helping to teach you one of the most important lessons for a government employee - Hurry up and wait. The wheels of government often grind very slowly, whether it be in hiring, purchasing, projects - you name it. Sometimes there's just not enough people to move things along quickly so tasks get done by one person, one at a time, dragging things out by months. Sometimes budgets are an issue. I've seen job vacancies go unfilled for months and sometimes years so the money that would pay for their salaries and benefits can be redirected to pay for equipment and vehicles. Unless you are "in the know" you have no idea why tings seem to be taking forever or have ground to a halt.

You'll get the full does once you are hired.
            Thank you for the reply. I appreciate any help I can get. The BI is being conducted through my dream dept. I truly don't care how much others pay me or if they call. My heart is at a stand still for 2-3 months lol

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9503 users online. 447 members and 9056 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X