Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shotgun capacity

hey all,

i'm a resident of illinois and am looking into getting my first shotgun. i was speaking with a guy at an outdoor store about the shotguns and he mentioned that it is only legal to have a max of 3 or 4 rounds (i forget which he said) in a shotgun. he didn't say whether this is state or federal law but either way i was kinda shocked. i had never heard that before. is he right or does he not know what he's talking about? thanks for any help!
    "A man who will not protect his freedom does not deserve to be free."
    -Gen. Douglas MacArthur

1st of most of the people working in the "outdoor stores" are morons that went rabbit hunting with their uncle when they were 6. I even had one in the suburbs ask me why I was buying shells to pheasant hunt with, when it was easy to put some cracked corn out and hit them with a .22. When hunting in IL with a shotgun it is ILLEGAL to have a shotgun that will shoot more then 3 shots. Past that hunting regulation, I dont believe there are anyother law, minus barrel length that I am aware of.
    Last edited by Hoyt19; 04-03-2007, 08:43 AM.
    Shut up and color.

Comment

Probably for hunting. For duck season, there is a "duck plug" you put in the mag tube to bring down the capacity one shell. unless it's a city or county ordinance, I'm not aware of any state laws that would limit capacity on a shotgun, besides for hunting.

Comment

It is three and he is correct.

Per IL DNR, "it is unlawful to use a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells in a magazine and chamber combined. Any shotgun having a capacity of more than three shells must be fitted with a one-piece plug that is irremovable without dismantling the shotgun or otherwise altered to render it incapable of holding more than three shells in a magazine or chamber. "

There is one exception to the rule.

If you would like to find the state statue you can find the law in the ILCS. You might want to contact ISPCapt for that. I do not have time to fetch that info.
        Last edited by LockednLoaded; 04-02-2007, 09:44 PM.
        "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28"

Comment

For hunting, yes, there is a restriction. For home defense, no, there is NO restriction on capacity.
          www.saveavet.org

Comment

Awesome! thanks for the help guys. i don't hunt so i'm just looking at using it at the range and for home defense so that's good news to me. now, i just need to figure out what i'm gonna get.......
            -Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Comment

now, i just need to figure out what i'm gonna get.......
              Go with a Rem. 870 or a Mossy 500 or 590A1 and build on it from there.
              www.saveavet.org

Comment

i was looking at a Mossberg Persuader. seems like a good gun. any experience with it?
                -Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5167 users online. 202 members and 4965 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X