Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know how long a power card is valid for, for CPD IPT? I have a power card from JJC from February 22nd 2018 and my Power test for CPD is July 14th. I know some PD’s only accept power cards that are 6 months from when the card is issued to when they offer the power test and some PD’s accept power cards within a year of the card issued to the date of the POwer test. I emailed CPD and they haven’t replied back.

Comment

• NGUChris
      NGUChris commented
      Editing a comment
      If I recall correctly it’s a year, but to be safe expect 6 months. Yours is fine playing it safe with it being less than 6 months old.

• Tj_floros
      Tj_floros commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I figured it was 6 months to a year. I’m trying to avoid calling CPD HR.

• Fatal
      Fatal commented
      Editing a comment
      CPD HR told me a year from when it was issued, but you have to realize that HR and the instructors are two different people. My first Power Card was issued in January and I just renewed it today to be safe. I'm also applying to other departments though. A handful of departments only accept them for 6 months.
      Last edited by Fatal; 06-27-2018, 05:02 PM.

Can someone please help me. I didnt make it past the psych portion on the 2017 list. My question is how does that effect me for this process being that I failed the psych 5 months ago. Does this mean my file will be on hold for a year?

Comment

Originally posted by maidana View Post
      Can someone please help me. I didnt make it past the psych portion on the 2017 list. My question is how does that effect me for this process being that I failed the psych 5 months ago. Does this mean my file will be on hold for a year?
      If you know you failed the psych and haven’t received a DQ letter yet and you know you’ll be starting the 2018 process soon and don’t want to be held up by red tape so you can just focus on the 2018 list you can always ask to remove yourself from the 2017 list. Then you start fresh with the 2018 list. If anything give ur BI or CPD Hr a call and see what they say.

Comment

• rolz_
        rolz_ commented
        Editing a comment
        Whether you remove yourself from the list or not. It’s still going to come up. That goes for all the steps. Depending on as to EXACTLY why he was dq’d in the first place it may or may not haunt him in the next process.

Is the 1.5 mile run going to be outside or inside? How many laps? Just still trying to figure out how to pace myself.

I've been training on a treadmill everyday. Running 1.5 in 12:40-13:00 consistently. But, I have no idea how it will translate outside / on a track. Going to train one more week on a treadmill and the final week I’ll prepare by running strictly outside.

Comment

• DanielHK
        DanielHK commented
        Editing a comment
        4 laps around the academy. Outside

• Fatal
        Fatal commented
        Editing a comment
        Train yourself by trying to be a minute under the time limit on a treadmill (at least 1 minute.) The more you do this the more confident you will become and the further you will push. You can also use google maps to calculate what 1.5miles if you want to actually create your own route to run on. Every once in awhile i'll run around my neighborhood. Anyhow, on the treadmill I normally include a 0.5% incline as well. If you can do that for 6 laps on a treadmill... then well it won't matter much when it comes to laps. Your body will adapt and your paced speed from a treadmill will transfer to the actual test. It's all a mental game from there.

I did this for months and months on a treadmill... I dropped my time to 11:36 at my best. It's a good time, but even I could improve that. My recent POWER card at JJC I did it at 12:05, and I didn't push myself that hard during the run.

You'll have to run at least 3 times a week to increase your speed in dramatic amounts. Once you hit a certain level... you'll probably stick to two runs a week and maybe some other cardio.
        Last edited by Fatal; 07-01-2018, 09:03 PM.

• golfdelta117
        golfdelta117 commented
        Editing a comment
        Honestly, if you can...go to the power test prep sessions on every Monday and Wednesday from 6pm-8pm. You'll be able to work on improving your run and sit-ups. It helped shave off a minute on my run and sit-ups were better on my FPT from my IPT
        Last edited by golfdelta117 ; 07-09-2018, 05:28 PM.

Thanks for the help! I’ve never really focused on cardio / running specifically. I’m running 1.5 miles on a treadmill in 10:15 & feel like I could push myself even harder if needed. Super confident for Saturday on the run portion. Going to take it easy on my legs this week (don’t want to get hurt) and focus primarily on stretching and abs.

Super excited/nervous about Saturday, but I am confident.

does anyone know how long it will take to receive transcripts from a university?

Comment

• DanielHK
        DanielHK commented
        Editing a comment
        I got mine in less than a week from two different schools.

• VicJ
        VicJ commented
        Editing a comment
        When I ordered my transcripts I selected the pick up option and they were ready within a couple of hours but that was from a community college so not sure about a university.

• Smschin1
        Smschin1 commented
        Editing a comment
        I got mine within 48 hours from my school. They had an online process, that you order online and can pick it up in school.

• rolz_
        rolz_ commented
        Editing a comment
        Keep in mind you’re going to have to do a final power test to get into the academy. Once you reach the academy you’re going to have to do 4 more inside.

Good luck to everyone today on the POWER test.

Comment

Fastest IPT with a power card yet - 20 minutes
        DHS CBP Officer 19-4
        NOR Written: 2/11/19 - Pass
        NOR Fitness Test: 4/2/19 - Pass
        NOR Interview: 4/10/19 - Pass
        NOR Medical: 2/26/19 - pending

CPD 2017 #5xxx
        IPT: 11/11/17
        PHQ submitted :11/22/17
        Kentech PHQ submitted: 12/12/17
        Home Interview: 12/17/17
        Case Manager assigned: 12/22/17
        Polygraph: 01/18/18
        Kentech to CPD: 1/22/18
        CPD 12-2017 #4xxx
        IPT: 03/17/18
        Processing: 03/24/18
        PHQ submitted: 03/30/18
        CPD 05-2018 #2xx
        IPT: 07/14/18
        Processing: 07/21/18

Comment

• VicJ
          VicJ commented
          Editing a comment
          You were in and out within 20 minutes since you had a power card??

• NGUChris
          NGUChris commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah it was filling out a form and listening to instructions for next week. They’re really streamlining the process

• VicJ
          VicJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice. Hopefully it goes that fast for me as well.

Lots of people failed the sit-up portion today. I passed, sit-ups was the only difficult aspect for me.

Comment

• DanielHK
          DanielHK commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I've seen guys that look fit, not make it, and guys with a beer belly that had no problem. I also noticed a lot of discrepancies in the way the sit ups are performed. Some guys go all the way down almost letting their hands touch the mat, and other guys just let their shoulder blades barely touch the mat.

Yeah, I’ve noticed that too. Feel like they’re more lenient towards out of shape people than fit. The bald guy made me re-do like 5 sit-ups for my ‘hips moving’ when they clearly weren’t. I literally had to stop, squeeze at top, and control all the way down my last 4-5 sit-ups. It was low key nerve racking. Almost my entire group failed. It was shocking and legit made me nervous bc a lot of the dudes in front of me were in shape.

not to mention situps is the most ridiculous exercise ever to test fitness level. I literally watched tons of other people more or less cheating w/ their form & not being penalized. My heart & sympathy goes out to the guys with correct form for 90% of their sit-ups being penalized.

im more or less just happy I moved on with the process.
        Last edited by Mike_vaughn; 07-14-2018, 10:14 PM.

Comment

I had a close friend fail the sit-ups bc his form was critiqued. Which is better JJC or NIPSTA?

Comment

• Fatal
            Fatal commented
            Editing a comment
            I've done the JJC POWER test a few times, but i've never done NIPSTA. The POWER test at JJC they definitely make sure you keep your hands locked and also make sure your shoulder blades hit the ground.

• 1021chicago
            1021chicago commented
            Editing a comment
            JJC is the better. I’ve done both and will only go back to JJC now.

Who's ready to start processing this next weekend?
          Last edited by Fatal; 07-23-2018, 01:12 PM.

Comment

I'm trying to get access to my 2018 PHQ but it's bringing me to my previous submission from 2017. Has anybody experienced this before?

Comment

• VicJ
              VicJ commented
              Editing a comment
              PHQ doesn't start until 12am Thursday

Ohare2521 yes your old submissions are still present. Near the top/middle there’s a button for “review questions” and that will bring you to the new PHQ. They’re named after each test IIRC.

I’d double check to make sure you’re in that time window allotted. I’ve gone in randomly and can only review my old submissions
            DHS CBP Officer 19-4
            NOR Written: 2/11/19 - Pass
            NOR Fitness Test: 4/2/19 - Pass
            NOR Interview: 4/10/19 - Pass
            NOR Medical: 2/26/19 - pending

CPD 2017 #5xxx
            IPT: 11/11/17
            PHQ submitted :11/22/17
            Kentech PHQ submitted: 12/12/17
            Home Interview: 12/17/17
            Case Manager assigned: 12/22/17
            Polygraph: 01/18/18
            Kentech to CPD: 1/22/18
            CPD 12-2017 #4xxx
            IPT: 03/17/18
            Processing: 03/24/18
            PHQ submitted: 03/30/18
            CPD 05-2018 #2xx
            IPT: 07/14/18
            Processing: 07/21/18

Comment

Does the final power test invite look slightly different than the initial test?

i just got another invite for August 18th but I just took a test the other weekend.

Anyone else get this?
              Last edited by 1021chicago; 08-02-2018, 01:23 PM.

Comment

• KMM
                KMM commented
                Editing a comment
                I am so glad you posted this! I simply glanced at the email I received today and assumed it was for the May 2018 test and NOT the FPT for the December exam. I never even considered it could be for the FPT. I went back and looked really closed and I believe it is, indeed, the IPT for the May 2018 exam. I'm just glad you said something because I am going to look more closely going forward. I would have been so mad at myself if I missed a FPT because I didn't look at it closely enough. I wish they would put which exam it is for on the top of all notices.

• southpaw1
                southpaw1 commented
                Editing a comment
                FPT will usually include a psych date, medical waivers and you need to confirm attendance. Trust me you'll know when you see it!

• 1021chicago
                1021chicago commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks southpaw1

• southpaw1
                southpaw1 commented
                Editing a comment
                You're welcome. Good luck.

Has anyone taken their power test at Nipsta? I have my power test for CPD coming up but I was deciding on taking the power test at Nipsta so I could also apply to other police departments. What kind of bench press did they use and in regards to the sit ups did everyone that participated do them together or did everyone go one at a time. Thank you.

Comment

• KMM
                KMM commented
                Editing a comment
                They use a machine for the bench press. For the sit-ups, two people went at one time with the next person in line holding their feet.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6897 users online. 316 members and 6581 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X