X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPD WRIT. EXAM: 12/16/2017
    IPT: 03/10/2018 (Failed)
    IPT: Retake 06/02/2018 (Failed)

1.5 mile run is giving me serious problems. First attempt was at Homan Square; 16 laps required @ 14:31 for my age group. Only got 10 laps in before time was up. Practiced A LOT before the retake. Second attempt was at Chicago Police Academy. 4 laps required around academy @14:31, again, for my age group; My results were 4 laps in 17:31. This has become very frustrating for me as I know the 1.5 mile run is my only obstacle in the way of getting into the academy.

Question: Is the track at NIPSTA in order to get your POWER CARD large? Challenging? Or is it the same as running at Homan? I really wanna nail this thing and proceed to the next phase. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by DRock33; 06-03-2018, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• smg16
      smg16 commented
      Editing a comment
      The power test is one obstacle out of many. How often are you training and do you do your training on a treadmill or outdoors on a track?
      I know running is not easy, but with dedication you can get your time down. I did interval cardio training three - five times a week.
      Passed the pre power test at Homan and the final power test at the academy. Meanwhile, I have my power card from Nipsta, so I can apply to other departments. When I took it at Nipsta, they had us run 14 laps around a large turf indoor track.

• KMM
      KMM commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, I personally DO NOT recommend going to NIPSTA if you are struggling with the run portion. I found their track to be terrible. I am a runner and I had an unexpectedly difficult time there. You are running on an indoor soccer field. The ground is squishy, there was ZERO air flow and I swear there was some sort of chemical smell from the astro turf. I had a very difficult time breathing on my run. However, one plus for some people is that our tester was very lax and allowed people to wear ear buds and listen to music while running... I was irritated by this because of course, I did not have my airpods with me at the time.

One thing that has helped me to greatly increase my cardio stamina is using the stair machine at the gym. Also, when I took my IPT, I drank a pre-workout supplement that really helped boost my energy to get through it.

Good luck!

• rr743
      rr743 commented
      Editing a comment
      DRock33 Don't worry you'll get there, I failed the run 4 times technically, 2 times at the academy and 1 at Joilet for the power card and the other at NIPSTA, and those two times were in between my upcoming 3rd power test at CPD and I passed it in under my time and when I went on for my FPT I passed it with a a min some left over. Don't give up, trust me there were times in my run where I just wanted to say F*ck it! and now Im about to start the academy. As KMM stated a preworkout can help, I took mines each time about 30min before starting each power test, it helped with my situps and such.

I'd recommend swimming. Build you lung endurance and cardio-respiratory, It def helped me on my last two passing power test. Also one thing you can do is if you're running on a treadmill put it on an incline as it activates the muscles you use when you are on actual pavement, stair machine works great too! as it helps your lung endurance as well.

Keep at it my friend and soon enough you'll be in, I know it can be frustrating.

• VicJ
      VicJ commented
      Editing a comment
      I earned my power card from NIPSTA. Let me start off by saying I hate running with a passion. When I took it there it was cold, raining and windy. We had to run on concrete full of puddles but it is what it is, I passed and that's all that matters. I'm in the same age group as you, had to run the 1.5 mile in 14:31, they didn't give me my time nor did I ask for it, I was just happy I passed. I had to take a power test for North Riverside since my power card was too new and there I ran it in 13:06. I guess it depends on how bad you want it. I would suggest to not walk at all if you don't have to and keep a nice solid pace. You will get it I promise you. I hardly trained for it maybe 6 weeks at most on a treadmill. I would run a mile a day for the first four weeks and then 1.5 miles the last two weeks. Good luck buddy.

I've been jogging on a indoor track at the YMCA where 15 laps equate to one mile. I've been doing that according to the recommendation of the POWER test booklet CPD handed out to everybody. Weekly jogs/runs with increased distance for the past 10 going on 11 weeks 3-5 days a week. Everything on the test is very easy to me except the 1.5 mile run. My cardio system has improved which is good and I can do more laps than I used to, but still..... Recently, the guy at Nipsta told me 9 x around his track is 1.5 miles.
    Last edited by DRock33; 06-03-2018, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• smg16
      smg16 commented
      Editing a comment
      I can’t really recall how many laps because it was a while ago. I never looked at the requirements in the booklet. As long as you see progress than keep trying. But I wouldn’t rely on those recommendations as it may not work for everyone. I’m not sure if you’re pacing yourself on the track. I suggest you track your pace and timing per lap and even during the power test. Other things that made my run easier was eating two hours before, drinking tons of water, changes in my breathing technique and running more than 1.5 mile daily. When you have the opportunity to take the power test again, don’t ever walk or stop. I see people do this all the time and they fail. Once you take your first power test again, keep in shape... because you will still have to take a final power test. When I took my final power test a few weeks ago, people failed the run.

Thanks. Not walking or stopping is good advice. I will incorporate that in my training. Everything else you said I am already doing.

Comment

This was just posted on cpds be the change facebook “Results will be emailed sometime this month.”
      Last edited by smg16; 06-06-2018, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Great news I’m so excited

Comment

Lottery results are out!

3720 passed. Finally made a decent lottery number compared to the previous 2 exams.
          DHS CBP Officer 19-4
          NOR Written: 2/11/19 - Pass
          NOR Fitness Test: 4/2/19 - Pass
          NOR Interview: 4/10/19 - Pass
          NOR Medical: 2/26/19 - Pass

CPD 2017 #5xxx
          IPT: 11/11/17
          PHQ submitted :11/22/17
          Kentech PHQ submitted: 12/12/17
          Home Interview: 12/17/17
          Case Manager assigned: 12/22/17
          Polygraph: 01/18/18
          Kentech to CPD: 1/22/18
          CPD 12-2017 #4xxx
          IPT: 03/17/18
          Processing: 03/24/18
          PHQ submitted: 03/30/18
          CPD 05-2018 #2xx
          IPT: 07/14/18
          Processing: 07/21/18

Comment

• southpaw1
            southpaw1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow...didn't you guys just take this test? Lol. That's record time! Good for you man.

Lottery number 1,9XX out of 3,720. I can't believe the list is so short!

Good luck everyone!

Comment

Yea just got the email I got lottery number 130 out of the 3,700. I remember in 2013 the list was about 13,000 people now it’s less than 4,000. I’m sure it will move fast. And I’m sure the upcoming December test will be even shorter

Comment

Got my lottery number today, low 3,000’s unfortunately. Any ideas on how long it may be until they reach my group for testing?

Comment

• KMM
                KMM commented
                Editing a comment
                I was in the bottom half of the December 2017 list and I was contacted within only a few weeks of receiving my lottery number. They’ll get to you quicker than you think.

• NGUChris
                NGUChris commented
                Editing a comment
                At the written test they said they expect the first few from this testing cycle to be in the academy in Sept.

Lottery numbers mean very little after you move through IPT and processing.
                Last edited by NGUChris; 06-17-2018, 10:15 AM.

Looks like I'm number 831. Had 9x in December and just did my polygraph yesterday. Hopefully my December process moves along quickly so I don't have to go through everything again for no reason.

Comment

When did you get your number?

Comment

Damn I’m towards the end of the list. Is there going to be a December exam as well?

Comment

• Salko
                    Salko commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What number did you get?

Mike_vaughn

I’m guessing another exam between Oct and Dec.
                  DHS CBP Officer 19-4
                  NOR Written: 2/11/19 - Pass
                  NOR Fitness Test: 4/2/19 - Pass
                  NOR Interview: 4/10/19 - Pass
                  NOR Medical: 2/26/19 - Pass

CPD 2017 #5xxx
                  IPT: 11/11/17
                  PHQ submitted :11/22/17
                  Kentech PHQ submitted: 12/12/17
                  Home Interview: 12/17/17
                  Case Manager assigned: 12/22/17
                  Polygraph: 01/18/18
                  Kentech to CPD: 1/22/18
                  CPD 12-2017 #4xxx
                  IPT: 03/17/18
                  Processing: 03/24/18
                  PHQ submitted: 03/30/18
                  CPD 05-2018 #2xx
                  IPT: 07/14/18
                  Processing: 07/21/18

Comment

Glad to see people received their lottery numbers but how come I didn't get mine smh

Comment

Originally posted by VicJ View Post
                      Glad to see people received their lottery numbers but how come I didn't get mine smh
                      I had 2 friends say they didn’t get an email either.

Comment

• VicJ
                        VicJ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Did they call HR or are they going to wait another day or two?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5601 users online. 217 members and 5384 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X