Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I was taken from a busy southside district yesterday and my job as a police officer was threatened for failure to comply with REPORTING MY VACCINE STATUS! in the USA people not actually being vaccinated but failure to report it! Soak that in for a second. That's where we're going people. Risk my life everyday for this city and I spent hours away from a busy district for that bs...pretty degrading. I am responsible and care for everyone's well-being and getting tested but that is what unions are for to work these details out like civil people. They're out of line. Take care of yourselves and well-being everyone. This has been going on for the last 2 weeks and has been a major distraction and added to an already stressful job. I'm here if anyone ever wants to message me or talk. I care more about our well-being then this job at this point. Please be safe and take care.

Comment

Hi guys, I’m new to the site. Maybe I’m confused, but is there a difference between the Pre- Power test and the POWER test? I’ve seen both terms used. Are there two tests or are they the same thing? Many thanks

Comment

• frubio685
        frubio685 commented
        Editing a comment
        The pre-power test is being conducted during the pre-employment stage if you pass the written test they’ll schedule a big group to show up one day for pre-employment were you would take a power test ( which you do not need to pass) hair drug test and fingerprints if you fail the pre-power test you still need to pass the final one once you pass to the background stage in order to continue to the final stage of medical and psych screening..

So another words if you mess up and fail the pre-power test you have one more chance to pass the final one

Great tips on here. Thanks!
      Question... How much PT is demanded at the academy the first few weeks?
      Female, 30's (if that changes anything).
      _______

I'm trying to develop a circuit training program to prep for the academy.... and would love guidance to set specific goals (since I may only have a couple weeks).

I passed my FPT with about a 1.5mins to spare on my run... but I DEFENITLY need to "up my game" on the other stuff.
      _______

Can someone give me an example of how many push-ups, sit-ups, calisthenics (and what types) will be demanded, right off the bat? Daily?

How often and how long are the runs the1st couple weeks? Are these timed?

Any other tips or advice is also appreciated. Thanks!
      Last edited by Zutana; 03-12-2022, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• 508NAVY
        508NAVY commented
        Editing a comment
        How hard you get beat is based on 2 things:

1) how big of a ****bag class you have. The more you guys screw up, the more you get “beat”. I have beat in quotations because military people know what a beating is.

2) understand that no matter what, especially your first month at that place, you’ll be wrong and you’ll get beat.

Want to prepare? Do walk sits. Place your back against a wall, and go until you sit. Arms out in front. Run in place. Push up position and don’t go anywhere. Let on your back and raise your legs 6 inches off the deck with a duty belt on. Run with a duty belt on.

• Zutana
        Zutana commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! It sounds like I should just prepare for the worst. Right? Lol.

I'll work on those planks, wall sit progressions, and leg hold progressions.

Hopefully I can find a good deal on a vest to add to my runs. Either that, or I'll have to get real creative with some duct tape. Lol

• Aidokea
        Aidokea commented
        Editing a comment
        You don't need a weight vest. Inflammation in the knees is common from running so much, and adding weight just makes it worse. And that includes your own body- make sure that you lose any extra weight before you start your academy. Learn how to hydrate. Learn sports medicine to treat yourself (RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation).

Originally posted by Zutana View Post
      Great tips on here. Thanks!
      Question... How much PT is demanded at the academy the first few weeks?
      Female, 30's (if that changes anything).
      _______

I'm trying to develop a circuit training program to prep for the academy.... and would love guidance to set specific goals (since I may only have a couple weeks).

I passed my FPT with about a 1.5mins to spare on my run... but I DEFENITLY need to "up my game" on the other stuff.
      _______

Can someone give me an example of how many push-ups, sit-ups, calisthenics (and what types) will be demanded, right off the bat? Daily?

How often and how long are the runs the1st couple weeks? Are these timed?

Any other tips or advice is also appreciated. Thanks!
      So your 1.5 mile run is 15:22?

Holy crap- how are you doing on the other standards?

I hope you realize that it is customary for the entire class to get punished with VERY painful additional PT, for the worst recruit's performance.

You cannot graduate without the cooperation of your classmates. Every academy is different, but if you show up capable of only a 15:22 1.5 mile run, I would fully expect your classmates to stab you in the heart or push you in front of a bus.

For perspective, at age 44, without a background in running, I graduated with a 9:28 1.5 mile run. There were only two graduates that were slower than me on the 1.5 mile run. And although I did 18 dead-hang overhand pull-ups, benched 285 pounds, did 100 PROPER push-ups, and about that many sit-ups, they bested me on most or all of those standards.

You're probably about four minutes away from being assassinated by your classmates, on the run alone.
      Last edited by Aidokea; 03-12-2022, 08:17 PM.

Comment

• Zutana
        Zutana commented
        Editing a comment
        You graduated at 44? I'm guessing you're not referring to CPD since they require applicants be under 40 to enter the academy. Your academy experience may have been different.

Passing standards in Chicago are 16.52 for the 1.5 mile run. 16.21 for the age group younger than mine.

I'm not a runner either. However, judging by my lead and the comfortable pace I maintained, I'm not concerned about my run.

I'm looking for insight/advice, specific to the Chicago Police Academy.... in particular, for those first couple weeks.

• Aidokea
        Aidokea commented
        Editing a comment
        I was 43 when I was hired for the agency that I recently retired from, and 44 when I graduated that academy. I had previous law enforcement experience.

I don't know what you mean by "Your academy experience may have been different"- as far as I can tell, you don't have any academy experience. I've passed two of them.

The published standards for my agency were similar to what you're saying. What a lot of recruits don't understand, is that those published standards are what it takes to get your foot in the door- the actual expectations during academy are typically MUCH higher than those initial standards.

You were IN THE LEAD of a group of applicants, with a 15:22 1.5 mile run? Were the others walking? Did any of them get hired?

How far through the process are you? Have you passed the oral board, psych, poly, and so on?

What is your performance on the other standards, like sit-ups, push-ups, pull-ups, and so on? You don't need to work on planking, because you won't be doing any- your classmates will be doing all the planking, while waiting for you to catch up, and they'll probably want to talk to you about it later.

How much are you running? If you're getting ready to start academy, you should be running 5 miles a day, with at least one longer run a week. During my most recent academy, we ran from 3-10 miles a day, sometimes doing several 10 mile runs a week. You should be running on the road, but if your knees can't take it yet, you can run laps on a rubberized high school track. Try to get some hills in- hills are a whole 'nother animal.

Have you had your stride analyzed by a competent running store, so that they can put you in the proper running shoes and fit you with orthotics if necessary?

Are you training with a heart rate monitor, so you know how hard you can push yourself?

How much do you know about hydration? That was the #1 thing that took recruits out during my most recent academy.
        Last edited by Aidokea; 03-13-2022, 07:42 AM.

• Zutana
        Zutana commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
        you won't be doing any- your classmates will be doing all the planking, while waiting for you to catch up
        Ha! Too funny! Lol. 

No, You're right I don't have any experience. Which is why I collected as much advice online as possible. However, none of those are specific to the PT of the Chicago Police Academy and my friends are already 20-25yrs in. 

Recently, I've heard different info on the PT that they're doing there now. Which conflicted with what I gathered.
        I figured the best way to get solid intel was to post on this Chicago Academy-specific thread. 

You make great points about preventative measures for running! It's important to strengthen the hip rotators and the muscles around the ankles too. That's where a lot of these running injuries stem from.... improper form. 

Thanks for the advice. Congrats on your retirement!
        Last edited by Zutana; 03-13-2022, 10:39 AM.

Zutana, to get some additional perspective on 1.5 mile times, read through this thread:

https://forum.officer.com/forum/equi...-mile-run-time

Keep in mind that not all of those posts are from people who actually got hired, so you may want to click on the profiles to see if they are actually cops.

It is important for you to keep in mind that The Job includes chasing criminals and confronting them physically. Criminals that will do anything they can to kill us, if we give them even the slightest chance.

And the first rule in law enforcement, the very MOST important rule of all, is to make sure that we all go home safely at the end of our tour of duty.

If you and I are chasing some $hitbird, how long am I going to have to fight him by myself before you show up to help, and how much "horsepower" are you going to be bringing to that fight? If something happens to me because you weren't fast enough and/or strong enough to save me, are you going to be able to face my widow at my funeral? Are you going to be able to face your co-workers?

One of my last physical confrontations before retiring in my mid-50s, was against a 6'10" 350 pound male in his early 20s. And I haven't lost a fight since Gerald Ford was in the White House. If you were alone and fighting someone like that who was doing everything they could to kill you, would you want someone like you coming to help you, or someone like me?

Comment

Ok. I have to add my .2 in here.

Stop with the theatrics. The CPD Academy is a joke when it comes to PT. I went through in 2013 and the PT was minimal because apparently some recruit got Rhabdo from over exercising and sued or threatened to sue. So the PT became “tactical conditioning.” Our PT was so minimal, my run time INCREASED. I was running a 1.5 in 10 flat. By the final power test in the academy that essentially uses ISP standards, I was at 11:25. The standards are dropping more and more every year. The last Superintendent’s kid went through and they actually stopped the power test for his duration because he couldn’t pass it. I had a girl In my class who bombed the final Power test horribly and magically by the next morning, “she came in early and was able to do it.” Interesting…. I was there by 5ish and didn’t see her or her car or anyone running for that matter.

With that being said, you need to bump your numbers up. You need to be able to pass those tests just to get in the academy and the instructors want to see you get better.

Anyone who was in this Academy we’ll say… after 2010. It is a whole different experience from the “good lord it’s CPD I’m going to die with PT”, old school method.

Comment

• Aidokea
          Aidokea commented
          Editing a comment
          If she were running the 1.5 in 11:25, we wouldn't be having this conversation- she's FOUR MINUTES off that pace.

• Zutana
          Zutana commented
          Editing a comment
          *face-palm* lol
          Aidokea.... read the room, buddy. or... AT LEAST the title of this topic.

If anyone finds themselves late at night, wondering what an old retired cop, all the way in TX, with absolutely no information... thinks about MY individual fitness level... I'm sure they'll message you directly. lol

Nothing to contribute to the topic? Then simply move along. Easy.
          Last edited by Zutana; 03-15-2022, 12:38 AM.

• CptGlockMango
          CptGlockMango commented
          Editing a comment
          I have friends in the academy now and they haven't described it to be at all what Aidokea makes it out to be. I will say though, if that was your time I would still be working on it. I'm not fast by any means. My fastest 2 mile in the Army was 16:20. Also I think his memory is probably shot enough to forget that female standards differ from males. However, PT is designed to push the strongest guy to the limit and if he's struggling to run..... you sure as hell will. Not to say you all struggle the same... but you all will be struggling regardless and the goal is to struggle a little less. I've attended PT sessions run by the academy instructors and I will say it's not a walk in the park.. AT ALL. And if you get the guy who was a former Marine.... be prepared to hate yourself. I attended one of his sessions back in December and it was 2 straight hours of pushups, sit-ups, squats and variations of those. When you werent doing either of those you were in the front leaning rest position the entire time. Continue to alternate long distance runs (3-5 miles) for endurance and incorperate sprints in every week to improve speed and of course, don't forget your push ups, planks, core, and stability drills.
          Last edited by CptGlockMango; 03-15-2022, 01:04 AM.

• 508NAVY
          508NAVY commented
          Editing a comment
          I was at METRO in 2018 and I Will confirm, complete joke. Sure “welcome to the gym” was a good burn, but that was about it. The “smoke” sessions were a joke too.

To be completely honest, with the spring upon us, these recruits should be working out on their own, not rely on the academy to do it for them, because they’ll be getting nothing they can’t do on their own.

I wish more recruits would understand that you should be blowing the MINIMUMS away BEFORE going to the academy. You’ll only be doing a disservice to yourself and your department if you’re not in decent shape

Is it true that we can't go to a gun range while in the academy? Is practice only allowed during training periods?

Comment

• Raiden341
          Raiden341 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. It’s true. The idea being they don’t want you teaching yourself bad habits or shooting methods on your own range time. They want to be able to supervise the entire time to progress your shooting.

• 508NAVY
          508NAVY commented
          Editing a comment
          It is true. I won’t lie, I was a weapons guy in the military, so I shot all the time. They REALLY want people who have little to no firearms experience not shooting unless it’s at the academy.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3564 users online. 235 members and 3329 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X