Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does someone in the police academy become "classroom commander" or "assistant classroom commander"?

Comment

Generally its someone with some military or previous LE background.

Comment

What is the role of the classroom commander?

Comment

Simply put: They're in charge of the day to day stuff, formation, calling the class to attention, administrative duties before /after classes, keeping the class "in-check" so to speak, leading the flag ceremony. A good class commander is the first one there and last one to go home. We had a good CC, funny and respected. Maybe someone who was one could elaborate better. He would call you out tho. If you're having a sidebar convo and being rude he would be like "HEY...SHUT THE *BLANK* UP" Lol. He would scan the room and if you looked like you were fading into a dream state he would yell "WAKEUP!" across the room. He had this attitude that he didn't like any of us in the beginning but he lightened up and actually did grow to like us. Good times!

Comment

Hey new to the site. I'm a prospective May/June 2020 applicant. I have gone to some of the written test study sessions, have a clean background, and can also breeze through the POWER test requirements. So I'm not concerned about those but I am curious about the details of a psych eval. I have never had to do one before... can anyone describe what it's like or what they are looking for? Do you just talk to a psychologist and they decide if your stable or not?

(EDIT: Apologies for this not being super pertinent to the Academy)

Comment

• CHICentral
              CHICentral commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the advice!

• 60630Chicago
              60630Chicago commented
              Editing a comment
              Takes about 4 hours. There is no right or wrong answer, as well as there is no actual scoresheet (that we would be able to see) and they do NOT want you to answer as if you were a police officer but to answer as you would normally. You can’t practice for it, only thing I’ll say is that whatever you fill out starting with the PHQ to the final white doc in psych it needs to be exactly the same. Stay consistent with answers and you’ll be fine. If you fail it, you can request a review and potentially take it again. It’s so far away at this point for you that I wouldn’t even worry.

• CHICentral
              CHICentral commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the advice. Yeah, that's kind of where I am right now. I can definitely keep consistent lol I have no intention on lying at any step of the process. I couldn't find any info on this process so yeah just curious, I figure the more I know what to expect, the less my nerves might mess up my results. This helps a lot!

• 60630Chicago
              60630Chicago commented
              Editing a comment
              Honestly the more you know the more it messes you up. The psych is one of those things you just want to go into with a clear head and make sure you stay honest. Just know that the majority the people taking the test will pass. They make it a point to let you know that before the test, so don’t stress!

Here's a tip for all the people entering the academy soon. The academy used to provide Training guns (blue ones) to recruits, but they now require you to purchase it and you need to have it for range inspection. I would suggest going to Rey O'Herrons to purchase your duty weapon because they have blue guns there as well.

I know Kiesler is another good store, but they have screwed over recruits by not fulfilling their orders for blue guns.

If you decide to have a flashlight on your duty weapon the blue gun HAS to have one.

Oh, you also will need to buy a law book as they don't provide it anymore. Recruits will usually try to sell it for 50 bucks but some will give it to you for free or 20 dollars. Make sure you purchase these things relatively quickly because it can take a while for it to come in. Also KEEP YOUR RECIEPTS.

Comment

• rr743
              rr743 commented
              Editing a comment
              Damn they got to purchase blue guns now lol i guess its a good thing that way it fits in your holster and you can practice at home.

Hi,
            i have recently taken the psych and i am hoping to get the NTR next week for October's Academy, and i wanted to prepare myself and gather as much information as possible, can the recent graduates shed some light, in few questions that i got, are there different shifts in the academy? someone suggested in the previous comments that there were first and second shifts if that is the case do you get to choose or are you assigned? and if you get to choose how does one go about that? also did anything change about cadets buying everything from Exercise uniform to plastic guns, does the department provide anything? also what pieces in your uniform/ books/ equipment can you buy as second hand and where does one get that? the last thing, how do you print your last name on your work out uniform, do you buy them customized from a certain shop or you buy the clothes from amazon and do some kind of paint job yourself? also how often do you run? how often is there MMA training and what is like? what is it like the driving training and what else do you learn there other than pit maneuver? and lastly anyone has something to rent that is close to the academy? Thank you for your time.
            Last edited by Daciomagna; 09-25-2021, 02:41 AM.

Comment

• 508NAVY
              508NAVY commented
              Editing a comment
              1) I was in a METRO class (Chicago academy for local departments) and we were in from 0500-1330, because of the 800+ recruits in the building every day. I do know some Chicago classes were on from 1400-2200 but who cares weekends are off. Typically, you’ll be there from 0700-1530.
              2) you DONT choose individually, it’s a class call from the command staff/ home room instructors.
              3) you’ll be notified what you need. I think they send you guys to JG uniforms or VCG uniforms or Chicago uniforms. They know all the **** you need
              4) don’t buy anything uniform related second hand. Hell, I bought a new law book just because. If it’s fairly recent, the law book can be bought secondhand.
              5) your PT gear is stenciled. When you order your uniforms, the uniform shop has then stenciled/printed on them
              6) NO mma training. Do that on your own, but be careful. Some recruits did MMA training on their own, and got hurt then got in deep **** from CPD. I’d avoid it, and just lift
              7) NOBODY pit’s anhmore. Not even the staties pit unless it’s emergent circumstances. We had a week of EVOX (emergency vehicle operation) it was at a parking lot by wrigley. Good time.

As far as Amazon goes, be careful. They do have good stuff, but TONS of knock offs. Don’t buy tourniquets or duty belts from them. Go to a uniform shop. I won’t lie, as a military man, it’s a monopoly. Just like military uniform shops, police/fire uniform shops have what you need, at a premium Price. Why!? Supply and DEMAND.

1) I was in a METRO class (Chicago academy for local departments) and we were in from 0500-1330, because of the 800+ recruits in the building every day. I do know some Chicago classes were on from 1400-2200 but who cares weekends are off. Typically, you’ll be there from 0700-1530.
            2) you DONT choose individually, it’s a class call from the command staff/ home room instructors.
            3) you’ll be notified what you need. I think they send you guys to JG uniforms or VCG uniforms or Chicago uniforms. They know all the **** you need
            4) don’t buy anything uniform related second hand. Hell, I bought a new law book just because. If it’s fairly recent, the law book can be bought secondhand.
            5) your PT gear is stenciled. When you order your uniforms, the uniform shop has then stenciled/printed on them
            6) NO mma training. Do that on your own, but be careful. Some recruits did MMA training on their own, and got hurt then got in deep **** from CPD. I’d avoid it, and just lift
            7) NOBODY pit’s anhmore. Not even the staties pit unless it’s emergent circumstances. We had a week of EVOX (emergency vehicle operation) it was at a parking lot by wrigley. Good time.

As far as Amazon goes, be careful. They do have good stuff, but TONS of knock offs. Don’t buy tourniquets or duty belts from them. Go to a uniform shop. I won’t lie, as a military man, it’s a monopoly. Just like military uniform shops, police/fire uniform shops have what you need, at a premium Price. Why!? Supply and DEMAND.

Comment

• Daciomagna
              Daciomagna commented
              Editing a comment
              508NAVY Thank you Very much that was very helpful.

I can't even imagine the morale @ CPD, 12 officers shot this year,........!

https://www.police1.com/officer-safe...oz266e2SPU20b/

Comment

I don't even know what that word means anymore.

Comment

Sorry if I've asking too many questions. Does anybody know if there will be a November academy class?

Comment

So far this year they been having classes start every other month so since it’s a class starting next week most likely the next class and final class of this year will be in Dec.

Comment

Indiana and Florida are actively recruiting officers and deputies!! If you got nothing holding you here explore greener pastures.

Comment

Originally posted by CHICentral View Post
                      Hey new to the site. I'm a prospective May/June 2020 applicant. I have gone to some of the written test study sessions, have a clean background, and can also breeze through the POWER test requirements. So I'm not concerned about those but I am curious about the details of a psych eval. I have never had to do one before... can anyone describe what it's like or what they are looking for? Do you just talk to a psychologist and they decide if your stable or not?

(EDIT: Apologies for this not being super pertinent to the Academy)
                      How'd you do?

Comment

Anybody know how strict they are about the final power test being passed 45 days before academy? If the next class is in December, my FPT would exceed the 45 days.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4887 users online. 306 members and 4581 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X