Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running in the academy

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how much running/what kind of running you do in the academy? I am specifically interested in SLEA... on their website it says that you do 3-5 miles on MWF... Is this non-stop altogether or in segments? Timed?

My friend who went to PTI in Champaign said that sometimes they ran for 45 minutes straight at a very slow pace, so it was mostly a mental/endurance type of thing... but that still seems hard to me! A lot of people dropped out...

I'm trying to get in shape and be ahead of the curve for the academy... I'm 6'0" 170 lbs but haven't played sports in a while... What kind of running should I expect? Any insight is very much appreciated! :-)

Thanks.

I have never attended SLEA, but I talked to a friend who has been and he said to expect a lot of running. Those "3-5" miles are non-stop. I wouldnt only focus on running, I would run with a mixture of pushups, sit-ups, and pull-ups. According to him, if you are in decent shape you will be fine. Of course, you probably don't just want to get by with the very minimum. You are better off being overprepared more than anything.

I am not sure when you are scheduled to go to the academy, but here is a workout that I swear by. If you complete it and do it seriously, then you will be more prepared than anyone. Its the Navy SEAL prep workout.
    Here it is: http://www.pytlik.com/escape/navyseals2.html

I do everything except for the swimming part due to the fact I do not have a pool to swim in. Plus, I couldnt imagine swimming continuosly for 75 min 4-5 days a week on top of all the running ect. Tell me what you think.

Comment

I have not been to an academy, but I can say that longer runs in the Marines, when done in large groups to cadence, are a lot easier, normally at a slower pace. My friends in the CPD said a lot of runs are like that.

Comment

Originally posted by flydream777
        Hi,

Can anyone tell me how much running/what kind of running you do in the academy? I am specifically interested in SLEA... on their website it says that you do 3-5 miles on MWF... Is this non-stop altogether or in segments? Timed?

My friend who went to PTI in Champaign said that sometimes they ran for 45 minutes straight at a very slow pace, so it was mostly a mental/endurance type of thing... but that still seems hard to me! A lot of people dropped out...

I'm trying to get in shape and be ahead of the curve for the academy... I'm 6'0" 170 lbs but haven't played sports in a while... What kind of running should I expect? Any insight is very much appreciated! :-)

Thanks.
        My brother went to SLEA, and he said that they only ran 3-5 miles about 2 or three times in all of the 11 weeks, however they did do like 6-8 minute runs frequently.

Comment

haha its not the running that kills u, its the be ready to run by 5:50 am wake up calls at PTI that kills u. Not sure about SLEA but man that's the killer here at PTI.

u should do fine just run stay as healthy as possible,really the pt is a forethought with all the learning you will be doing throughout the day.

Comment

With all the running and exercise so early in the morning, how do you stay awake in class??? :-)

Comment

SLEA is easy. A few longer runs but I think the longest was 4 miles. Its an easy pace for the most part too.
              For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

No Crap, At PTI if you feel like you are about to fall asleep it is recommended that you go and stand up in the back of the class room.
                My worst day as a police officer is a million times better than the best day on any other job!

RIP Joseph Bokholdt 2-14-1983 to 5-27-2008.

Comment

In RIP and Ranger school we just pinched the hell out of our thighs until tears came. Simple...AND effective!
                  SUA SPONTE

Comment

Running in the morning doesnt make you sleepy. lack of sleep makes you sleepy. You will be tired in class until your body adjusts to the workout. then you will begin to fell good after runs. just get sleep and youll be okay.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5227 users online. 220 members and 5007 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X