300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone please help me?

When a Police Department runs a background check on someone for arrest history, what agency or database do they use?

They will use the FBI's Interstate Identification Index, state criminal history databases, local law enforcement databases, and court databases.

Comment

So would an expunged arrest be essentially pointless?

Comment

If you expect expungement to remove all traces of an arrest and conviction, that isn't going to happen.

One has to show a certain level of good behavior to qualify for a record expungement so it is not pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by maidana View Post
          Not pointless, as expunction will keep the arrest from showing up when your name is run routinely, e.g. on a traffic stop. Having an arrest record expunged can be part of caring about your reputation. On a BI you just say yes (expunged) and give your brief and straightforward explanation.

Comment

• 19-Paul
            19-Paul commented
            Editing a comment
            FYI running a name "routinely" on a traffic stop and looking up someone's rap sheet (arrest history) is completely different. And yes wasting your time and money to expunge your record for a law enforcement position is pointless.

Do NOT take advice from Monty. He does NOT know what he's talking about.

He's NOT a cop, nor involved in LE. Treat him as you would a piece of snot on the sidewalk...walk away.
          Last edited by CCCSD; 04-26-2017, 08:29 PM.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Even if you were to expunge an arrest, you'd still have to list it on a police application. If you don't and the BI finds the arrest (which they will) you will be DQ'd for lying on your application. Expunging a record does not erase it & it will be discovered by an investigatior. Good luck

Comment

For the most part, yes, it is pointless.

First, you have to understand that there is the law and then there is reality.

Some states will allow police applicants to legally deny ever having been arrested if their record of that arrest has been expunged. (Yes, really.) But they have to tell the truth when asked to describe every contact they have had with the police. In addition, while an arrest or conviction may have been expunged, that does not prohibit friends, relatives, coworkers, witnesses and victims from telling the background investigator what they know about what you did.

In the end, it doesn't matter if you were arrested or convicted. What counts in the background investigation is your conduct during the incident in question. By way of example, years back I did a background investigation on an individual accused of rape. The investigating agency mishandled the physical evidence and all clothing, blood, semen and bodily fluids connecting him to the crime were thrown out by the court. The reduced the case to a she said/he said matter and the jury acquitted. While the applicant was never convicted of the crime as a matter of law, he was still a rapist as a matter of fact and he was disqualified on the background.

Perhaps it would help is you shared your incident with us and we can better advise you as to whether it might be a disqualifying matter. Many people come here mistakenly thinking the most minor incident spells the end of a promising career. OTOH, others come here naively thinking that frolicking with dogs and peanut butter is no big thing. (sigh)

Go on - take a chance and spill it.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by 19-Paul View Post
                Even if you were to expunge an arrest, you'd still have to list it on a police application. If you don't and the BI finds the arrest (which they will) you will be DQ'd for lying on your application. Expunging a record does not erase it & it will be discovered by an investigatior. Good luck
                I agree with this -- as I said,

On a BI you just say yes (expunged) and give your brief and straightforward explanation.
                Regarding whether expunction can make a difference in matters other than BI, such as e.g. a traffic stop:

Originally posted by 19-Paul
                FYI running a name "routinely" on a traffic stop and looking up someone's rap sheet (arrest history) is completely different. And yes wasting your time and money to expunge your record for a law enforcement position is pointless.
                The fact that expunction does nothing whatever to vitiate or diminish the facts available to the BI does not make it "pointless" to have it done. It won't be available via NLETS if you do have it done. Although not all traffic stops result in NLETS IQ, AQ, or FQ queries, running them is just as routine as the DQ is, -- maybe you don't care to run those queries on a trafiic stop, and you stick to DQ, KQ, and RQ ...

The record-storage repositories accessible via the NLETS interagency communications architecture include arrest records if they have not been expunged. If they have been expunged from the active repositories they will not be available via NLETS in the field. The criminal history queries, wants and warrant queries, are just as available via the standard CICS-based transaction menu on the mobile VDT as the license and registration queries are. It is a matter of routine to run them on traffic stops even if some guys don't usually do so.

I like your catch-all screen name ...

Comment

• 19-Paul
                  19-Paul commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My first response you quoted above was directed to the OP, wasn't asking if you agree with me or not.

If the OP could explain further what he's actually asking like HI629 stated, that would be helpful.

As I stated (and if one simply searches this site) most officers would agree that expunging an arrest is pointless.
                  Last edited by 19-Paul; 04-27-2017, 08:46 AM.

Maidana, expundgment means nothing to a background investigator. Just reveal all arrest related history and let the chips fall where they may.

Sidenote: I've watched you participate on this board for years, and I'm just wondering....do you have a plan B?
                Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

Jesus Christ. Expunged arrests don't appear when a normal cop runs someone. They don't appear in a normal CQH, court files say it was expunged and general background websites / sources won't show it. The only places that will show it are the Bureau of Identification and the FBI on a print response.

Comment

• littleguy
                    littleguy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Send a print card to the FBI and have an approved livescan vendor / police department run your prints for BOI. That will answer your question. You have the right in Illinois to review your criminal history record. Hope that helps.

• Raiden341
                    Raiden341 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I didn't have a question. I had an answer...

When a Police Department runs a background check on someone for arrest history, what agency or database do they use?
                  To accurately answer your question, please specify the nature of the "background check" you're talking about? Is this for pre-employment purposes?
                  Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10044 users online. 488 members and 9556 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X