Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need advice to the safety of an area of Chicago.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice to the safety of an area of Chicago.

I live in Milwaukee, but A friend of my wife is getting married in South Chicago and I'm concerned about the safety (long story of why she is getting married there). I have twin 3 year old's so more so than the safety of myself I'm more concerned for my wife and them. The location is 91st and Brandon. My wife grew up in the city so she already knows is an IFY place and I looked at a crime map of the area and it appears that the area definitely has some issues, but according to the map there haven't been any shootings in a while. There appears to be more assaults than anything else, but More than anything i'm scared of that random bullet. I'll definitely be bringing my gun.
    Thanks

Didn't I see this in another section, with answers and discussions? Chicago may have bad moments, but its not the worst city in the world. You live in Milwaukee, that's the pot calling the kettle black!

Go or don't go. But always carry off duty, no matter where you go long as it's legal. SPARE mags!!

Comment

Once you have your first "blast from the past" you'll realize why carrying off duty is a good thing.
      Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Use to be a nice neighborhood (weren't they all?) Not the worst, but I wouldn't hang out there after dark.

Comment

I live in the south side and I find this post pretty hilarious.
          WORK HARD. DREAM BIG!!

Comment

• 19-Paul
            19-Paul commented
            Editing a comment
            Location, location, location. West side of 008 is a whole lot nicer than the east side of 004. Hahaha

So you're saying, I shouldn't go that Dock's on 87th street anymore?????

Comment

I did question this in another section, but I just wanted to try to talk to someone personally familiar with the area. Milwaukee does have its issues, that's a claim I would never challenge except I know what areas to stay away from here, but not so much in Chicago. I'm still waiting for the "avoid the ghetto" feature for car navigation systems.

I greatly appreciate the info. It looks like we WILL be going now although I found out that the rehearsal is the night prior which we WILL NOT be going to. My cousin GLOCK will also be accompanying.

Comment

I've lived on the South Side of Chicago my whole life and never had any issues mostly because I wasn't a part of the problem. That goes in any part of the city.
              Last edited by southpaw1; 04-27-2017, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• wi law
                wi law commented
                Editing a comment
                It's funny because the first thing I did was check out the area on google earth to see the condition of the neighborhood. and it appeared to be relatively well kept for a city. I was expecting to see these run down brown grass boarded up houses, but nothing. Its a crying shame because its a beautiful church.

The curb there is drivewayed so as to be flush with the street such that you could pull up on the sidewalk very close to the front door. Our Lady of Guadalupe Church google maps street view link

Culturally, the area is Latino and non-Latino -- it's not a war zone -- especially not at a church devoted to that particular apparition of the Blessed Virgin -- the one depicted in many tattoos inscribed on young Latino males -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_Guadalupe

That church also houses the National Shrine of St. Jude -- link to google maps St.Jude Shrine sign image I agree with you about not attending the rehearsal -- glad you're able to see your way to attending the wedding ...
              Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 04-26-2017, 12:52 PM.

Comment

It should be a good time although I had to laugh at the irony after deciding to go because the majority of the crime taking place at night, and who would cause problems in front of a church (so it was suggested). Not a day after we made our changes committing to go, an article was passed to me about a Priest from the very same church being robbed at gunpoint during the morning while walking his dog less than a block from the church. You just can't win in this world. HAHA. O well, nothing that banging your head against a wall a couple times can't fix.

Comment

Leave it in God's hands. Carry your off-site in case Good needs your help here on Earth.

We really don't know what's gonna happen. That's why we train. How often do we hear about lives lost when a "routine" call goes south?

Be prepared and vigilant. You should be fine.

It's not like you're‚Äč walking into established "gangland" where incidents are expected and an everyday occurrence.
                  Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Well, I handled a shooting in front of St. Gabe's. And a double murder in front of St. Sabina's kicked the racial change into high gear there. Several murders within a block of Natvity BVM. These are off the top of my head.These mutts do not care about a church.
                    Last edited by ChiTownDet; 04-28-2017, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post
                      So you're saying, I shouldn't go that Dock's on 87th street anymore?????
                      That's been there forever..still any good?

Comment

• ChiTownDet
                        ChiTownDet commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah, if you want some unidentifiable sea creature, with breading over half it's scales, hanging out both sides of a soggy bun. Ands that's after the other person on the other end of that garbled drive thru microphone hands you the opposite of what you ordered. Yeah, it's still the same ole Docks, "The Best in Dashboard Dining.". Like playing sea creature on a bun roulette.

Originally posted by KrayJack View Post

That's been there forever..still any good?
                      I went right around the new year and it was as remembered. The Fishwich was good.

Comment

• ChiTownDet
                        ChiTownDet commented
                        Editing a comment
                        And let me tell you about JJ Fish. We curbed a car one night in 002. Pop the trunk and loaded with fish. Fish, just lying in there, not packaged, among the spare tire, oil cans, greasy rags, etc. He was making a delivery to JJ. My dining experiences start on the west end of 022 and work their way south and west from there..

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post

I went right around the new year and it was as remembered. The Fishwich was good.
                      Ever get one with half the head still attached? Then you should try Fat Albert's on 69th east of Ashland....if you ever get a hankering for a gyro with green meat about 3 am. And been in the back of more than a few Harold's, where the smell of rotting chicken is explained by the workers as , "The hot grease kills the germs in it."
                      Last edited by ChiTownDet; 05-01-2017, 07:31 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4802 users online. 262 members and 4540 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X