300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPD cracking down on parking tickets?

My wife got a parking ticket a couple of weeks back for "NO PLATES". She has the Illinois Police Association plate on her car. Vehicle was parked legally otherwise....no handicap or fire hydrant or anything.

I mean, legal is legal and what isn't I guess isn't...and it all comes down to discretion anyway, but it just seemed odd that an officer would ticket what is presumably another officer's vehicle. Especially when we aren't talking about a moving violation or 'severe' parking infraction.

At any rate, I asked a friend with the CPD about it and he made mention that they have been cracking down on parked cars with no front plates, etc.

Originally posted by TOPPED_OUT
    My wife got a parking ticket a couple of weeks back for "NO PLATES". She has the Illinois Police Association plate on her car. Vehicle was parked legally otherwise....no handicap or fire hydrant or anything.

I mean, legal is legal and what isn't I guess isn't...and it all comes down to discretion anyway, but it just seemed odd that an officer would ticket what is presumably another officer's vehicle. Especially when we aren't talking about a moving violation or 'severe' parking infraction.

At any rate, I asked a friend with the CPD about it and he made mention that they have been cracking down on parked cars with no front plates, etc.
    No plates IS a serious offense. It prevents a vehicle from being properly identified by the police. It can also indicate that the owner has not paid taxes on the vehicle, or is not insuring the vehicle.

Why do you think the car is "presumably" another officer's vehicle? Because of the IPA plate?
    My posts are sometimes educated, sometimes informed, and sometimes blowing smoke...but they are mine and mine alone and do not reflect on anyone else (especially my employer).

Comment

It's possible they figured that there was no way a fellow officer would drive around with only one plate and wrote it. If we showed up to work with only one plate and an inspector noticed it, we would get written a ticket as well.

It seems like lots of people have LE Memorial, FF Memorial, and IPA plates who are not police officers.

Comment

Originally posted by SeVere
        It's possible they figured that there was no way a fellow officer would drive around with only one plate and wrote it. If we showed up to work with only one plate and an inspector noticed it, we would get written a ticket as well.

It seems like lots of people have LE Memorial, FF Memorial, and IPA plates who are not police officers.

Makes sense. I was actually thinking this morning of a story I thought I had read in the papers not too long ago about officers getting parking tickets for parking their squad cars illegally when not responding to a call. Or maybe it was Streets and San.?? lol....I don't know...but thanks for the replies.

Comment

Maybe it was a Traffic Enforcement Aid that issued the ticket or Revenue. Those Traffic Enforcement people are pretty brutal. I remember watching one ticket unmarked squads that pulled over to drop off things at the Law Department in the loop.

Comment

Originally posted by Himso
            Maybe it was a Traffic Enforcement Aid that issued the ticket or Revenue. Those Traffic Enforcement people are pretty brutal. I remember watching one ticket unmarked squads that pulled over to drop off things at the Law Department in the loop.
            Perhaps....no hard feelings though. Like I said...what's right is right and what isn't...isn't. Now that you mention it, those Traffice Enforcement Aides are pretty brutal!!

Comment

Originally posted by Himso
              That's absurd. I almost had a little situation with one the other day while driving a CCSD squad. As for the IPA plates issue.. I have both our vehicles with IPA plates, but they are on the front and back.

Comment

I admit I have been driving around without a FRONT plate for years...the holes in our car do not line up with the holes in the LP...I know we can get it fixed, but we have been rolling the dice on it for 5 years.

Comment

Maybe it was a Traffic Enforcement Aid that issued the ticket or Revenue.
                  Bingo, that was my thought. Even us "pimpy" Suburban Cops would not write such a ticket.

firemanjb: are you in or originally from IL? Just asking because this is a VERY common offense and not that big of deal. He said he had no FRONT plate, not no plates at all. At least 1 out of 3 or 4 cars in IL. don't have front plates. Heck, I didn't put one on a car I had before. It is considered very MINOR around these parts.
                  www.saveavet.org

Comment

"It seems like lots of people have LE Memorial, FF Memorial, and IPA plates who are not police officers."

And who could forget the ever popular "checker hat band on the rearview mirror," which , of course, goes hand in hand with no city sticker on the same car..

0311, get that front plate on the ride. You don't need your first experience at wrtiting a proper To-From answering an Inspector's beef 1st day at the academy..and it will get you a day.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet
                      "It seems like lots of people have LE Memorial, FF Memorial, and IPA plates who are not police officers."

And who could forget the ever popular "checker hat band on the rearview mirror," which , of course, goes hand in hand with no city sticker on the same car..

0311, get that front plate on the ride. You don't need your first experience at wrtiting a proper To-From answering an Inspector's beef 1st day at the academy..and it will get you a day.

You forgot handcuffs hanging from the rear view mirror!

Comment

Originally posted by dogcop
                        Bingo, that was my thought. Even us "pimpy" Suburban Cops would not write such a ticket.

firemanjb: are you in or originally from IL? Just asking because this is a VERY common offense and not that big of deal. He said he had no FRONT plate, not no plates at all. At least 1 out of 3 or 4 cars in IL. don't have front plates. Heck, I didn't put one on a car I had before. It is considered very MINOR around these parts.
                        Correct, there was no front plate on the car, however, on the citation where it would normally list the pate # it read, "NO PLATES".

That, I guess, is what strikes me as odd. I mean, there was a license plate on the car, why not list the IPA plate #? Or designate it as an IPA plate with the applicable #. Doesn't make a difference, I imagine, but....why write NO PLATES if the car does in fact have a plate on it?

Comment

I don't know what the City parking tix look like, soooo... is there a spot that the Officer/aide wrote your VIN or some other identifier on? Without a plate # and without a VIN, there is NO WAY to identify who the ticket went to.
                          www.saveavet.org

Comment

Originally posted by dogcop
                            I don't know what the City parking tix look like, soooo... is there a spot that the Officer/aide wrote your VIN or some other identifier on? Without a plate # and without a VIN, there is NO WAY to identify who the ticket went to.
                            Correct....but they did write the VIN on the ticket. I wasn't implying that I wasn't going to pay or anything....I'm definately going to do that regardless if the VIN was on there or not. I was just curious as to why they wrote "NO PLATES" when in fact a plate was on the car.

Comment

Correct....but they did write the VIN on the ticket. I wasn't implying that I wasn't going to pay or anything....I'm definately going to do that regardless if the VIN was on there or not. I was just curious as to why they wrote "NO PLATES" when in fact a plate was on the car.
                              Could it be because technically IPA plates are only supposed to be on during a very short and specific time of the year? Right now not being that time.. I know a lot of IPA plate holders use them all year until they get the next years version.. but, by law, they are only to be displayed during a set time frame.

That could be why he/she wrote "NO PLATES".

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6402 users online. 222 members and 6180 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X