300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norfolk Southern

Anyone know the salary range for the Norfolk Southern Special Agents/police that work in the Chicago area? Thanks.

I heard it's decent. But railway police will not look at you if you are not certified with a couple years experience.

Comment

I'm certified with 9 years on; but making peanuts compared to other agencies in the area. Just seeing if its worth applying too. I can't find anywhere what the salary ballpark would even be.

Comment

If money is an issue, I am sure there are suburbs around Chicago where you can make a pretty nice living. Joliet, Naperville, Schaumburg, St. Charles, Aurora, Elgin just to name a few.

Last time I saw a NS special agent ad, it listed the starting pay at about 62K.

Comment

Woodridge PD is great and they are filling a lateral position now. Deadline is 4/14/2017.
          Last edited by 19-Paul; 04-10-2017, 07:45 AM.

Comment

I heard from a good source that starting pay is mid to upper $50s. Lowest paid class I railroad in Chicago. Unlike other companies (like CSX) NS doesn't typically lay off their cops. There are decent benefits to working for a railroad, including 401k matching, bonuses, and RR retirement. Different work environment than a municipality, though.

Comment

Railroad police are worthless. They always pawn off train vs car accidents, train vs pedestrian accidents, and suicides on locals.

Some RR pd admins also make their officers pawn off trespassing and other arrests on locals. Some of those PDs tell RR officers to **** off.

Comment

Originally posted by hold the air View Post
                Railroad police are worthless. They always pawn off train vs car accidents, train vs pedestrian accidents, and suicides on locals.

Some RR pd admins also make their officers pawn off trespassing and other arrests on locals. Some of those PDs tell RR officers to **** off.
                Please, tell me how you really feel. Not sure if you are a cop, but some policies are in place because of state law. Some counties like Cook also require RRs to take their arrestees to the local PD for processing and holding. And some cities like Chicago have general orders and agreements that dictate who does what. Is it ideal and the most efficient use of limited resources? Probably not. But until it gets changed, its the framework we must work with.

I used to work for a municipality and remember every weekend having to pull drunks off the passenger trains. I never once saw the RR cops, but it never once bothered me. There are RR cops who will try to pawn off all their work onto locals, but I've seen that happen with county deputies and state troopers.

As for accidents on RR property, most are never reported to the local PD because they occurred on private property. For crossing incidents, the local PD might write the state accident report, but not much else. And when a death is involved, the local jurisdiction that investigates deaths will usually be called out. It would be a conflict of interest for the railway to investigate these matters without involving the locals. And with all of these incidents, the RR is usually filling out a ton of paperwork. Some RRs might have a train supervisor or claims agent handle the work, but it is completed as dictated by federal and state law.

While these are my experiences, every railroad is different. A lot of the smaller RRs might not have many officers, may cover a large geographic area, and it may be impractical to go to every call. If I drove from one end of my coverage area to the other, it may take 3 to 4 hours depending on traffic.

Liability also plays a factor. If a train reports kids playing on the tracks and no RR cop is close, the RR dispatcher will contact the local PD. Its not because we don't want to drive and handle the call ourselves, its because it is more expedient to call who ever can resolve the issue quickest. If the RR dispatch held the call for the RR cop who is two hours away and the trespasser were to become injured, the community would be asking why the local PD wasn't called.

With that said, some RR police agencies have a well deserved reputation for dumping an unfair amount of work on other departments. And, unfortunately, some of my coworkers have acted like complete idiots when dealing with other agencies. My department is far from perfect, but all I can do is make the most with what I have.

Comment

Going on 12 years. Maybe I'm just grumpy...

Don't take it personally but that is my experience. Its also the experience of most cops I know, including current and former RR cops.

I'm fine with RR officers taking their arrests to local PD or sheriffs office. Heck, why not even give a written complaint and release them at the scene?

Its the pawning off of the complete incident that irks me. Besides if it's a misdemeanor, the locals can refuse it anyway.

Most agencies are guilty of trying to pawn calls off, but RR pds are the worst.

Conflict of interest? I don't see how a tresspasser wanting to kill himself or an accident can't be investigated by the RR pd. Most engines have cameras don't they? The locals should assist and write a supplement but the RR should do most of the work. You can call the appropriate people to clean up the mess. (tow company, medical examiner or coroner, etc) then if that's still a conflict of interest then establish a seperate federal RR police force paid for by all the RRs.

I'll take the response time excuse only for middle of nowhere incidents like 3 or 4 hours outside of a major metro area. In that case the RRs could have an agreement with the sheriff or state police. But for areas with millions of people, there should be no reason why it would take more than an hour for a RR ofc to arrive on scene.

Liability. That's fine. We will respond and tell little jonny and Timmy to Call their parents and advise parents of the dangers of playing on the tracks. That's a no report call that would take 30 minutes. I don't mind assisting. Its the cluster ***** that need to be done by the RR officers.

Again, don't take this personally but the way it's done now is ludicrous.
                  Last edited by hold the air; 04-10-2017, 07:00 PM.

Comment

I don't take it personally, in fact i agree with most of your issues. Everyday I come into work I laugh about how crazy some of our policies are. Doesn't help to stress out about what i can't change. I think the RR you have to deal with is the same one that irked me at one of my last departments.

We don't usually bother the locals with misdemeanors, about 95% of our activity is handled internally. Some of our offices out of state have holding cells, and the officers can take the arrestees right to the county jail without dealing with local agencies. In some states the law doesn't recognize corporate police and the RR has no authority off property.

The department I'm at now rarely has suicides in the city. In the whole state I doubt we have more than one or two a year. Last time I had someone get ran over, the local department only filled out a hospitalization report that was half a sheet of paper. We'll even call out a service to clean up what the coroner leaves behind.

As for death investigations, I think there is a law buried in ILCS that only allows law officers of local government agencies to be trained and certified to investigate deaths. I wish we could cut out the middle man, it would save a lot of time for everyone. In other states, we contact the coroner ourselves and have a more active part in the investigation. Illinois laws are just a bit outdated and cumberson.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamstealer View Post
                      I don't take it personally, in fact i agree with most of your issues. Everyday I come into work I laugh about how crazy some of our policies are. Doesn't help to stress out about what i can't change. I think the RR you have to deal with is the same one that irked me at one of my last departments.

We don't usually bother the locals with misdemeanors, about 95% of our activity is handled internally. Some of our offices out of state have holding cells, and the officers can take the arrestees right to the county jail without dealing with local agencies. In some states the law doesn't recognize corporate police and the RR has no authority off property.

The department I'm at now rarely has suicides in the city. In the whole state I doubt we have more than one or two a year. Last time I had someone get ran over, the local department only filled out a hospitalization report that was half a sheet of paper. We'll even call out a service to clean up what the coroner leaves behind.

As for death investigations, I think there is a law buried in ILCS that only allows law officers of local government agencies to be trained and certified to investigate deaths. I wish we could cut out the middle man, it would save a lot of time for everyone. In other states, we contact the coroner ourselves and have a more active part in the investigation. Illinois laws are just a bit outdated and cumberson.
                      In my town when someone plays a stupid game with a train and wins the ultimate stupid prize, all we do is call EMT, hold the scene and the RR PD (we have 4 that have tracks in our town) takes care of the heavy lifting.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamstealer View Post

Yep it needs change. The feds should just put together a federal railroad police force..

Glad you didn't take offense. I was just venting but it's all true lol.

Stay safe out there!

Comment

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post

In my town when someone plays a stupid game with a train and wins the ultimate stupid prize, all we do is call EMT, hold the scene and the RR PD (we have 4 that have tracks in our town) takes care of the heavy lifting.
                          The way it should be!

Comment

Yep it needs change. The feds should just put together a federal railroad police force..

Glad you didn't take offense. I was just venting but it's all true lol.

Stay safe out there!
                            Maybe the feds can create a transportation security agency to administer this federal force. They've had great success with the airports... If the feds ran a railroad police department it'd probably have the efficiency and morale of Amtrak PD. Along with the lower pay. And all the political hires/favors/bribes/corruption. And on the taxpayers dime. There are about 50 different railroads scattered across just Illinois. Probably a few hundred across the US. It would be easier to get all the police agencies in Cook County to merge into one Chicago metropolitan police department.

Every railroad has different ideas of what their police department's responsibilities are. Some are heavy into traffic and grade crossing enforcement. Some are heavier in trespasser and burglary prevention. Others are tasked with screwing with the union workers. If the feds took over enforcement of the entire US rail system they'd probably be tasked with helping the FRA fine and harass the railroads and their employees. Sort of like how the [former] Chicago Aviation Police would ticket airport workers. If your agency is outside a major rail hub, then you'd probably never see a rail cop. Sort of like Amtrak...

Now, we do work with different federal police agencies for the security of the system. But they tend to cover things at the macro level, while we handle things at the micro level. Also, there is already the VIPR federal task force in place for transportation security of rail and other modes outside of aviation. But its ran by the TSA... I worked with them during special events at the last PD I worked for. They tend to make the news when they storm CTA trains running after chemo patients.

What could really help RR PD/Local PD relations is better communication and formal guidelines between brass. And maybe requiring the railroad PD higher ups to actually have municipal police experience prior to working with and supervising their department. Some of our railroad police supervisors are a bit out of touch with the reality of what a police department is and how they should work with other departments. If anyone is having issues with the railroads see if they can have a supervisor come out to a roll call and figure out if procedures can be implemented to make things easier for everyone.

I'll do what I can to fix things on my end, but when it comes to railroads, nothing moves quick.

Stay Safe!

Comment

And the railroads can and have legally sued municipalities for failing to respond to calls and providing other services. As property owners who pay real estate taxes, they have every right to "pawn" off calls and other duties to the local agencies.
                              I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10589 users online. 361 members and 10228 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X