300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice

Hi, i'm 17, and I want to be a CPO, is there any advice you can give me to better my chances, besides staying out of trouble? Any employment, specific college degrees, or anything else that that looks good. I've heard of the S.A.M program, I dont know though. Any advice? Thanks.

Originally posted by Chicago773
    Hi, i'm 17, and I want to be a CPO, is there any advice you can give me to better my chances, besides staying out of trouble? Any employment, specific college degrees, or anything else that that looks good. I've heard of the S.A.M program, I dont know though. Any advice? Thanks.
    Join the military...gotta be for 4 years though. From what I have been told Veterans always seem to have success in the academy and beyond. If the Military is not your brand of vodka, then the best advise is to take the written and hope for a real low ranking #!

Comment

Chicago773,

As Grunt said you could go to the military for four years but you also could go to college and get your degree. As for me I have military experience and college credits. I think since your are only seventeen you should go to college and get your degree because you have to be at least 21 to join the CPD. So, by the time you finish your degree you will be old enough to join. On the other hand you can go to the military, as for me I was in the USAF and when I was in it was some best years of my life. I strongly feel that either one is a good road to take because college or the military help later in life.

Well chicago773, I hope I was of some help.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the speedy replies. I was actually thinking of joining the military, in fact in June i might goto an (Explorer Challenge) I forget the exact name on an air force camp for 5 months, and come out with my diplomma, witch will be about 7-8 months earlier, so i'd still be 17 with a diplomma, I could than join the military for 4 years, or get 4 years of college instead of the recommended 2, and still be 21 years old. It's not that im chicken but with the way things are now in Iraq, and Iran, it makes me want to go and serve my country, but I sitll have doubt's concering my coming home and getting to become a police officer.

Comment

Originally posted by USAFAlex
          Chicago773,

As Grunt said you could go to the military for four years but you also could go to college and get your degree. As for me I have military experience and college credits. I think since your are only seventeen you should go to college and get your degree because you have to be at least 21 to join the CPD. So, by the time you finish your degree you will be old enough to join. On the other hand you can go to the military, as for me I was in the USAF and when I was in it was some best years of my life. I strongly feel that either one is a good road to take because college or the military help later in life.

Well chicago773, I hope I was of some help.
          From what i've heard having a HS diplomma/equivelent, is EXPECTED nowadays, and that a college degree is necessary for almost every field, including mcdonalds (lol). but, can the military give me at least my needed 2 year degree while im active? i want to have at least 2 years of college.

Comment

Make sure you are active and not reserve or National Guard. I specifically remember them telling us to not count reserve or NG on the application.

Technically, you do not need a degree for CPD, you only need 60 credit hours.

Comment

From what i've heard having a HS diplomma/equivelent, is EXPECTED nowadays, and that a college degree is necessary for almost every field, including mcdonalds (lol). but, can the military give me at least my needed 2 year degree while im active? i want to have at least 2 years of college.
              Not while you are active. you wont have time...you do earn credits for being in the Military, not many but some...history, P.E., ect....maybe go reserves, then they can pay for your college, you get the best of both worlds

Comment

active degree

Originally posted by 0311Grunt
                Not while you are active. you wont have time...you do earn credits for being in the Military, not many but some...history, P.E., ect....maybe go reserves, then they can pay for your college, you get the best of both worlds
                It is possible to get an associates and even your B.S. while on active. Just depends on what you do. I was active in the navy and got 54 credit hours from my navy coursework and then finished my B.S. through online courses. You have no life and it is rough, but can be done. An associates shouldn't be hard, but it also depends on your job.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthSidePD
                  It is possible to get an associates and even your B.S. while on active. Just depends on what you do. I was active in the navy and got 54 credit hours from my navy coursework and then finished my B.S. through online courses. You have no life and it is rough, but can be done. An associates shouldn't be hard, but it also depends on your job.
                  I guess it can be done depending on your MOS and what branch you are in...I was in the Marines in the infantry, I spent 85% of my time in the field..I was gone Mon- Fri most of the time training all week, when I got back, I wanted a cold beer and a good nights sleep...We did have a guy ask our Sgt about college courses..he gave him the typical Military answer "If the Marines wanted you to have a degree, they would have issued you one" or "You had your choice between college and the Marines, you choice us, live with it"

Comment

You are definitely right about that.....choose your rate choose your fate in the Navy and everywhere else for that matter! I tip my hat to you devil dogs cuz you definitely deserve respect. It takes a special person to sacrifice what you do for the good of everyone else in the world. No comparison between a deployment for us and one for you.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthSidePD
                      You are definitely right about that.....choose your rate choose your fate in the Navy and everywhere else for that matter! I tip my hat to you devil dogs cuz you definitely deserve respect. It takes a special person to sacrifice what you do for the good of everyone else in the world. No comparison between a deployment for us and one for you.
                      Thank you very much...and there would be no Marines without the Navy so many thanks to you as well!

Comment

Originally posted by 0311Grunt
                        I guess it can be done depending on your MOS and what branch you are in...I was in the Marines in the infantry, I spent 85% of my time in the field..I was gone Mon- Fri most of the time training all week, when I got back, I wanted a cold beer and a good nights sleep...We did have a guy ask our Sgt about college courses..he gave him the typical Military answer "If the Marines wanted you to have a degree, they would have issued you one" or "You had your choice between college and the Marines, you choice us, live with it"

Yep, The Army offers all kinds of online courses, and CLEP tests, but I was Infantry also, and always out humpin, and if we happened to be in the rear during the week, during working hours ( the only time the learning center was open ), we were not allowed to leave the company area, EVER, if you wanna learn somthin go do CTT, we wuz told.

Comment

look into the chicago police cadet program. you have to be enrolled in college and between the ages of 17-21 to apply. you actually work in police district stations when you start working. check out the "I Want to be a Chicago Police Cadet" link on the chicago police department's website. all the details are there.

Comment

If you have atleast 30 semester hours and one year of active service, you qualify for the CPD. It's on their site.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10957 users online. 475 members and 10482 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X