Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Illinois suburbs police application process?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois suburbs police application process?

I was wondering how the Illinois suburb police departments conduct their hiring process of new recruits? I am currently signed up to take Oak Park, Evergreen Park, and Bridgeviews entry level police exams in March. So, if I took the exam in march I would assume the process would go like this...... exam in march/2 weeks to find out the score/ 2 weeks after that oral interview/ right after that 3 weeks for BI/ a week after the BI is complete would be the Polygraph exam/ a week after that would be a psychology test/ 2 weeks after that would be a Hair and urine drug test with the medical exam. Would that be the correct order and time frame of how things will go down in the suburb police hiring process? Sorry if this is a stupid question I am new to this. Thanks

It's not a stupid question but no it's normally never that fast. My first PD, I was hired within 6 months from the test. I was amazed that it went that fast. The burbs have a different setup. You have to understand that virtually every PD and FD in Illinois offer eligibility tests every two years by law. It doesn't matter if they are hiring or not, they have to offer a test and create a new eligibility list. If you test in 2013 and rank #1 on the list, if that agency does not hire you before that list expires...you have to test all over again for the 2015 list. One of the most important things when applying is finding out if the agency is hiring and how many. The size of the town makes a big difference. Oak Park is a 100 plus department. Every list will have multiple people hired off of it. A smaller department will not hire as many people off one list but you can luck out due to retirements, sudden resignations and from time to time terminations.

Backgrounds, psychs, polys, physicals and all that happen AFTER the list is established and IF they get down to your number. They cost too much money to offer to everybody. It can go quick and happen in 5-6 months or it can stretch to just under 2 years before the list expires. All of that depends on the agency, your ranking and how fast they need people. There are occasions where you don't even receive your score, which happened to me (funny enough) with Oak Park. They all have a different way about them.

Comment

Joe Snuffy nailed it on the head

A couple departments are hoping to send new hires to an academy in April, so their process is accelerated to meet that deadline.

For example one agency I passed the written for, isn't hiring currently, so my oral board is actually 7-8 weeks after I sat for the written. My brother on the other hand, had a personality and poly within 10 days of sitting for the written, but they're pushing for candidates to send in April.

I'm sure the dept orientation prior to the written will discuss timeframe and process. If not, someone will ask for sure!
      DHS CBP Officer 19-4
      NOR Written: 2/11/19 - Pass
      NOR Fitness Test: 4/2/19 - Pass
      NOR Interview: 4/10/19 - Pass
      NOR Medical: 2/26/19 - Pass

CPD 2017 #5xxx
      IPT: 11/11/17
      PHQ submitted :11/22/17
      Kentech PHQ submitted: 12/12/17
      Home Interview: 12/17/17
      Case Manager assigned: 12/22/17
      Polygraph: 01/18/18
      Kentech to CPD: 1/22/18
      CPD 12-2017 #4xxx
      IPT: 03/17/18
      Processing: 03/24/18
      PHQ submitted: 03/30/18
      CPD 05-2018 #2xx
      IPT: 07/14/18
      Processing: 07/21/18

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Snuffy View Post
        It's not a stupid question but no it's normally never that fast. My first PD, I was hired within 6 months from the test. I was amazed that it went that fast. The burbs have a different setup. You have to understand that virtually every PD and FD in Illinois offer eligibility tests every two years by law. It doesn't matter if they are hiring or not, they have to offer a test and create a new eligibility list. If you test in 2013 and rank #1 on the list, if that agency does not hire you before that list expires...you have to test all over again for the 2015 list. One of the most important things when applying is finding out if the agency is hiring and how many. The size of the town makes a big difference. Oak Park is a 100 plus department. Every list will have multiple people hired off of it. A smaller department will not hire as many people off one list but you can luck out due to retirements, sudden resignations and from time to time terminations.

Backgrounds, psychs, polys, physicals and all that happen AFTER the list is established and IF they get down to your number. They cost too much money to offer to everybody. It can go quick and happen in 5-6 months or it can stretch to just under 2 years before the list expires. All of that depends on the agency, your ranking and how fast they need people. There are occasions where you don't even receive your score, which happened to me (funny enough) with Oak Park. They all have a different way about them.
        wow perfect

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8605 users online. 382 members and 8223 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X