Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oak Park PD 2017

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Oak Park PD 2017

    Has anyone applied or thinking of applying? Have tried to look up other information, i.e., how many positions they are looking to fill and or how long it takes for the entire process.

  • #2
    I don't know how many vacancies they have etc. I do know they will hire off the list. The department is 100 officers plus. They have to hire off every list for normal attrition if nothing else. They have multiple tiers on their list. If you're not first tier you're pretty much done. The process is probably slow and drawn out, at least it used to be, maybe even more so than normal. The town is extremely liberal. A tree hugger will be appreciated more than a cowboy. They have some great people that work there but then again I think most places do. They get paid well. I think they're on 28 day rotations, 6 and 2s..something antiquated and crazy. They just recently went back to that schedule after doing 12s for a couple years. Chief has been there 30 plus years, was D/C for like 10 plus and just made chief in Aug/Sept. The old guard is very much still in effect. Depends on what you want in a dept but it's not what I'd call a bad one.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Joe Snuffy View Post
      I don't know how many vacancies they have etc. I do know they will hire off the list. The department is 100 officers plus. They have to hire off every list for normal attrition if nothing else. They have multiple tiers on their list. If you're not first tier you're pretty much done. The process is probably slow and drawn out, at least it used to be, maybe even more so than normal. The town is extremely liberal. A tree hugger will be appreciated more than a cowboy. They have some great people that work there but then again I think most places do. They get paid well. I think they're on 28 day rotations, 6 and 2s..something antiquated and crazy. They just recently went back to that schedule after doing 12s for a couple years. Chief has been there 30 plus years, was D/C for like 10 plus and just made chief in Aug/Sept. The old guard is very much still in effect. Depends on what you want in a dept but it's not what I'd call a bad one.
      Thanks, appreciate the feed back. I am going thru CPD process and wanted to make a decision If it's worth applying for Oak Park as deadline is 2/10.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Chicago80 View Post

        Thanks, appreciate the feed back. I am going thru CPD process and wanted to make a decision If it's worth applying for Oak Park as deadline is 2/10.
        If you haven't been hired somewhere, apply everywhere you can.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post

          If you haven't been hired somewhere, apply everywhere you can.
          How many departments would be a good number? 3, 5,??
          Actually a real question for me because a lot of places accepting apps next month so I am trying to gauge how many I should put in.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Corsell View Post

            How many departments would be a good number? 3, 5,??
            Actually a real question for me because a lot of places accepting apps next month so I am trying to gauge how many I should put in.
            I know many people don't have the drive I have. But I applied to about 40 depts over the country.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Corsell View Post

              How many departments would be a good number? 3, 5,??
              Actually a real question for me because a lot of places accepting apps next month so I am trying to gauge how many I should put in.
              Only you can determine that by what works for you. My apps overall were a single digit. A guy in the academy with me hit 60 some.

              Comment


              • #8
                They have a ton of vacancies and it's a big department with several possibly retirements in the next 2 years. They just went to 10 hour shifts. Morale has been in the dumps for years, and doesn't seem to be getting better. Some of that might be due to the staffing, but some isn't. You will stay busy with burglaries, robberies, a few shootings, and the every day calls, but proactive police work is not emphasized.

                Although the community loosely supports the police, Oak Park is about as liberal as can be outside of the west coast. Try not to look scary, and make sure to be tolerant in dealing with the gangbanger hijackers from the west side.

                Comment


                • #9
                  As the Village Clerk said to me and another guy after we got sworn in, many years ago, "The Village of Oak Park is not just a place to live and work. The Village of Oak Park is a way of life." And we had our "All American City 1976" patches on our uniforms.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Village is looking to hire 9 off the list the chief said today. They are going to push to have 5 more people get hired for a total of 14

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      When will they be sending out the eligibility list?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mclovin45 View Post
                        When will they be sending out the eligibility list?
                        I called io solutions and they said oak park is sorting through the results of the test still that hopefully within the next few weeks we get the results

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Awesome... thanks for letting me know!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Item9 View Post
                            They have a ton of vacancies and it's a big department with several possibly retirements in the next 2 years. They just went to 10 hour shifts. Morale has been in the dumps for years, and doesn't seem to be getting better. Some of that might be due to the staffing, but some isn't. You will stay busy with burglaries, robberies, a few shootings, and the every day calls, but proactive police work is not emphasized.

                            Although the community loosely supports the police, Oak Park is about as liberal as can be outside of the west coast. Try not to look scary, and make sure to be tolerant in dealing with the gangbanger hijackers from the west side.
                            The community supports the police. They actually seem to think they have the best police on earth. But as you said with "loosely" their support is more when they are like the Guardian Angels than regular police. Are they still wearing black gym shoes in duty uniform?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              "Although the community loosely supports the police, Oak Park is about as liberal as can be outside of the west coast. Try not to look scary, and make sure to be tolerant in dealing with the gangbanger hijackers from the west side."

                              When I worked there, I said Oak Parkers are Hyde Pk. U of C students that now bought houses...We called Oak Parkers "Jobbos." Their "job" was the Village of Oak Pk.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 12471 users online. 484 members and 11987 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X